August 08, 2020, 09:54:22 AM

Author Topic: Children Fantasy Books.  (Read 8062 times)

Offline Eldyna

Children Fantasy Books.
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:25:12 AM »
Books like Plain Kate, Warriors, Percy Jackson, And of course Harry Potter.

All books written for Kids. I know my mom reads Children books because we often have arguments over who reads what book first. I want to know what Children Fantasy's have you read?

Sorry that's all I got I will add a list of books I have read but My brain just decided to have an argument with it's self...

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: Children Fantasy Books.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »

All books written for Kids. I know my mom reads Children books because we often have arguments over who reads what book first. I want to know what Children Fantasy's have you read?

Sorry that's all I got I will add a list of books I have read but My brain just decided to have an argument with it's self...

My husband has read all of Harry Potter and the first Percy Jackson book and loved them!  But I think he would have read them if we didn't have kids. :)  He also said So You Want to Be a Wizard is a good series too. :)

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:44:20 AM »

My husband has read all of Harry Potter and the first Percy Jackson book and loved them!  But I think he would have read them if we didn't have kids. :)  He also said So You Want to Be a Wizard is a good series too. :)

Right - Diane Duane. Smoooom and I meet her about 22-23 years. Eldyna missed out on that, she wasn't born yet. I'm banging my head against the wall - I think that we only had Earthbound Mike at that time  :o

Gee, how embarrassing. Having your old man posting about you (if I see her with a baseball bat I'll know to run).

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

Offline Zefiris

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:38 AM »
I wouldn't really count Harry Potter as a children's book.

The first one maybe but from then on, the series rapidly grew in maturity to where they could appeal to anyone. I'd class them more as a Fantasy Book for all ages, I mean I know kids who love Harry Potter (My 10 year old cousin especially) and folks in their 40's who love them (Like my college lecturer)

Offline Eldyna

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:08:33 AM »

Right - Diane Duane. Smoooom and I meet her about 22-23 years. Eldyna missed out on that, she wasn't born yet. I'm banging my head against the wall - I think that we only had Earthbound Mike at that time  :o

Gee, how embarrassing. Having your old man posting about you (if I see her with a baseball bat I'll know to run).

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

The only Base ball bat we own is moms Fiddle and I wont use it... I may use the mini Ironing board...

OH!

Wee Free Me. Totally forgot about that book series :O
I liked it with the little blue men and in fact was the 1st major chapter book i have read in grade 6 and it took me... 4-5 months to read it all and now i can read it in 3 days...

And Zefris you are right... And technically I never read them. I listened to them on Audio but whenever i tried reading any of the books i just couldn't... It's like any number of Terry Pratchett's books with my mom. But I did enjoy listening to them and that in my book still counts as reading.

Offline Captain-Dr-Proffesor

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »
I wouldn't really count Harry Potter as a children's book.

The first one maybe but from then on, the series rapidly grew in maturity to where they could appeal to anyone. I'd class them more as a Fantasy Book for all ages, I mean I know kids who love Harry Potter (My 10 year old cousin especially) and folks in their 40's who love them (Like my college lecturer)

I agree. As the series progressed simplistic ideals such as good vs. evil as a black and white affair was challenged as JK Rowling gave an in-depth look at Voldemort and his past. Understanding the antagonist was a big step in the maturing of the series, I believe.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:36:35 AM »
Children's…hmmm….

The Pyrdain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
Chronicles of Narnia
Wind in the Door (hey, it may be sci fi, but there's enough fantasy there) and the rest
The Earthsea books

Of course, what I think of as 'childrens' lit, and what other people think it is, might be two very different things.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:17:54 AM »
Children's…hmmm….

The Pyrdain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
Chronicles of Narnia
Wind in the Door (hey, it may be sci fi, but there's enough fantasy there) and the rest
The Earthsea books

Of course, what I think of as 'childrens' lit, and what other people think it is, might be two very different things.

Like the first book in P. C. Hodgell's Kencyrath series. It's not quite a children's book, but teen/young adult readers would enjoy it.

Just remembered one of the greats, Alan Garner's

Weird Stone of Brisingamen

and

Moon of Gomrath

Fantastic books, read them in Grade 7 or 8, which means 1968-1969. Long time ago, but I think I could walk around the farmhouse now and still know where everything is.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:02:05 PM by The Mad Hatter »

Bryndled1

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »
Chronicles of Narnia (of course)

Robert Asprin Myth series (well about 1/2 of them anyway )

Sorcerer's Son Phyllis Eisenstein.

Offline Rhevian

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
As well as some of the books listed above, the "Wolf Brother" series by Michelle Paver are very good

Offline Smoooom

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
Personally I love Childrens and YA books.  A lot of the time they are so much better written than adult books.  There are exceptions, but I'm not going to start a war here by bringing them up.

This is mixed - kids and YA all mixed up
John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice
Diane Duane - So you want etc
Catherine Banner - The Last Descendants Trilogy
Erica Verrillo - Phoenix Rising Trilogy
Tamora Pierce - Some of her books I like better than others
Brandon Mull -Fable Haven
R. J. Anderson - Fairy Rebels spell hunter (Stand Alone)
Kate Forsyth - The Gypsy Grown
Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games
Katheryn Lasky - Owls of Ga'Hoole and others
Erin Hunter - Warrior Cats

Some older ones and some these cross into SF but I count that as part of fantasy

Lewis - Narnia
Robert Heinliens Juvenile novels.  Podkyane of Mars,  Tunnel in the Sky,
Arthur C Clarke - Dolphin Island
Lloyd Alexaner - Prydanian Cronicals

It's way to early in the morning for my brain to actually be awake. so this is a short list.  It will get longer.
One by one the penguins steal my sanity!

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »
How in the world did I forget this one?!?  The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper.  Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline Noona

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »

Just remembered one of the greats, Alan Garner's

Weird Stone of Brisingamen

and

Moon of Gomrath

Fantastic books, read them in Grade 7 or 8, which means 1968-1969. Long time ago, but I think I could walk around the farmhouse now and still know where everything is.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

I love those books, and they are set about 10 minutes' drive from where I live which as a kid was really cool :D

Offline Smoooom

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
How in the world did I forget this one?!?  The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper.  Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Oh yes indeed, how could I forget that set.  I wonder if there is a good recording of the song around. Hmmmm
One by one the penguins steal my sanity!

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
Are we specifically talking about stuff we've read or reread as an adult? If we are, then everything by Alan Garner, Robert Westall and Diana Wynne Jones for a start. Those all get dug out of the box occasionally, then there's The Earthsea novels, The Borrible trilogy by Michael de larrabeiti, Rudyard Kipling's works for younger readers (The Jungle Books and Just So Stories), everything by Robert Louis Stevenson, The Hobbit, Neil Gaiman's YA novels, Terry Pratchett's YA novels, the Harry Potter series, Chocky by John Wyndham, Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn, a few Roald Dahl's, and Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

When I was a kid, Britain was in the grip of a fad for books written at* younger readers being very serious things, dealing with 'real life issues' and they bored me rigid. Someone was always in trouble with the police or the school authorities, their brother, sister or friend was always on drugs, their parents were getting divorced and they were in, or going into, social services care. I saw or experienced enough of that crap in real life, thank you very much. I mostly read SF&F and horror aimed at adults. At least those books knew how to spin an engaging story. I've been sort of catching up on the stuff I missed out on, in recent years.

* That's a deliberate word choice. The books were written at kids, not for them.

I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.