December 14, 2019, 04:36:59 AM

Author Topic: Best Prologue/ Prelude to a Fantasy book/ series  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Khaldun

Re: Best Prologue/ Prelude to a Fantasy book/ series
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »
GRRM, hands down. The opening prologue in a Game of Thrones is about as perfect as you can get. It is well written, it sets the tone for the series, and I'm starting to wonder how big of a hint it really was as to the end game of the series. Perhaps I've written too many essays on "opening scene as synecdoche" I don't think he could have started the series any better. It sets up the tone of uncertainty with regards to what the characters actually SHOULD be afraid of. It sets up the idea that GRRM isn't afraid to kill characters if it makes sense and it serves the story. It establishes the setting (strange weather patterns, unnatural events, a giant wall, an order of men called the Night's Watch). It sets up the first chapter (they need someone to behead, after all). If it doesn't do a thousand other things that I haven't even thought of, I'd be surprised.

Offline professional-liar

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
I haven't read Way of Kings, so I don't have an opinion there, but the prologue from Game of Thrones was probably the best example I can think of.  GRRM pulls up in with a very cinematic opening.  I would bet money it's the first thing we see when the TV series airs.
Check out my webcomic-The Venom King www.venomkingcomic.com

Offline Drying Ink

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
I haven't read the Way of Kings yet (it's on my bookshelf), but my favourite (I guess it would be a preface) so far is probably from Steven Erikson's Memory of Ice. The Elder Gods finding Kallor where he is, the last person alive in his empire, and cursing him... Then Kallor cursing the three gods back. Now, that might be set a while before the remainder of the book, but it's both relevant and somewhat awesome in context.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
Retribution Falls for me.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate