February 22, 2020, 01:25:00 PM

Author Topic: Books you HAVE to read before you die.  (Read 6981 times)

Offline mesmithcity

Re: Books you HAVE to read before you die.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 03:46:06 PM »
For me: Nine Princes in Amber

A friend of mine summed it up as "Zelazny has brilliant ideas. He can't really write - he's okay, but, well, you know....but man: ideas like nobody else!"

And it's true. His contributions really expanded and changed the whole realm of speculative fiction.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 02:31:08 AM »
gah... my answer for this was "wait, wtf books have I read?" Luckily there are some people here that reminded me of some of them:

For standalone books I would have to go with The Stand by Stephen King.  I remember the first time I read it back when I was in high school, I didn't leave my room at all except to eat and for bathroom breaks.  Yes it can be a little bloated at times but it definitely kept me enthralled while I was reading it.

I have to second this. It's been one of my favorites since high school. One of the most convincing plague based novels I've ever read, and the reason I have to yell angrily at the TV when I watch the Walking Dead, or any other zombie/plague movie/

The same can be said for Frankenstein. For a while, Frankenstein was my favorite novel. I'm not sure anymore... I may need to give it a re-read as it's been a while, but everything Caleb said is true.

I love Malazan, but I'm not sure I'd say it's a must read. There are certain books which might qualify, and certain moments or characters that are my favorite of all time, but it's hard to put it on this list. Maybe because of the length.

It's strange, a lot of the books which end up on this list, are probably there for nostalgia. The books that keep coming to mind are those I read when I was very young, those which I fear to read again because I'm afraid they won't live up to my memory. On this list I'd put The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, a book I hardly remember (read it in 4th or 5th grade), but have never stopped loving, and the Hobbit. Golden Compass is barely on this list, due to nostalgia. I re-read them a few years back and was severely disappointed, but it still holds a place in my heart for what it did for me at the time I first read them.

Going deeper... the book I've most connected with on an emotional level, would probably be the first 100-200 pages of Assassin's Quest. The whole Fitz growing up just reminded me a lot of my own childhood for some reason, and I don't think I put the book down once for that stretch.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 03:09:46 AM »
On this list I'd put The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, a book I hardly remember (read it in 4th or 5th grade), but have never stopped loving, and the Hobbit. Golden Compass is barely on this list, due to nostalgia. I re-read them a few years back and was severely disappointed, but it still holds a place in my heart for what it did for me at the time I first read them.

Someone else has read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle? I always thought it was some off-the-wall kind of book our teacher made us read way back when (doesn't help it was a sub, too) because I've heard nothing about it past then.

Hmm, may have to reread it considering I wasn't a fan of it back then.

*runs to Goodreads* Only 60K ratings of the thing...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:11:57 AM by Chilli Con Carne »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »
On this list I'd put The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, a book I hardly remember (read it in 4th or 5th grade), but have never stopped loving, and the Hobbit. Golden Compass is barely on this list, due to nostalgia. I re-read them a few years back and was severely disappointed, but it still holds a place in my heart for what it did for me at the time I first read them.

Someone else has read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle? I always thought it was some off-the-wall kind of book our teacher made us read way back when (doesn't help it was a sub, too) because I've heard nothing about it past then.

Hmm, may have to reread it considering I wasn't a fan of it back then.

Might have been on the syllabus for our generation haha. I read it in school too, but was rather fond of it at the time. I'd actually heard a few years back they were going to make it into a movie, and I was pretty excited about it, but I think it fell through.

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 06:32:20 AM »
Lloyd Alexander's Westmark trilogy. Anything by Lloyd Alexander, really, but Westmark is my favorite, possibly because I'm mildly obsessed with the French Revolution.

On the non-fantasy side, John Steinbeck's East of Eden. I enjoyed it in my most bitterly atheist phase, which pretty clearly shows that it's a powerful book. (It also made me cry, even when rereading it.)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
Lloyd Alexander's Westmark trilogy. Anything by Lloyd Alexander, really, but Westmark is my favorite, possibly because I'm mildly obsessed with the French Revolution.

On the non-fantasy side, John Steinbeck's East of Eden. I enjoyed it in my most bitterly atheist phase, which pretty clearly shows that it's a powerful book. (It also made me cry, even when rereading it.)
Yes! East of Eden. Amazing novel.

Lloyd Alexander: Prydain is a huge favorite.
I haven't read Westmark. Guess I need to.  :D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline jlbxb

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 02:27:10 AM »
The only ones i can think to add is one series.

The Earth's Children's Series by Jean M Auel
Clan of the Cave Bear
Valley of the Horses
The Mammoth Hunters
Plains of Passage
The Shelters of Stone
The Land of Painted Caves

These offer a unique perspective on nonverbal language and world creation based upon our world.