The Skull Throne Peter V. Brett
9 (13%)
The Doors of Stone Pat Rothfuss
20 (29%)
The Crimson Campaign Brian McClellan
7 (10.1%)
Half a King Joe Abercrombie
5 (7.2%)
Winds of Winter George R. R. Martin (2017 most likely date of release)
19 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Books you are waiting for???  (Read 10599 times)

Offline Vaelin

Re: Books you are waiting for???
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Tower Lord, The Crimson Campaign, The Broken Eye and Fall of Light....to name but a few!
War is always an adventure to those who've never seen it.

Offline Fellshot

Books you are waiting for???
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
I am waiting patiently for the Custard Protocol books by Gail Carriger, the rest of the Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, and Lagoon and the second Akata Witch book by Nnedi Okorafor.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
I read so slow, there's rarely a need to wait  :-[

Offline mtgallowglas

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:20 PM »
They aren't on the list, but I want,

Skin Game by Jim Butcher
The next Black Company book by Glenn Cook.

Offline Richard Bendall

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
Melanie Rawn - The Captal's Tower (Exiles #3)

I picked up the first Exiles book from a second hand shop when I had nothing else to read and I had a burning desire to read fantasy again after a break from it. For some reason The Ruins of Ambrai lured me in. It was a struggle to get into at first, but well worth the wait. This third book has been troubled though, and I hope it gets finished and released.
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 12:00:50 AM »
Melanie Rawn - The Captal's Tower (Exiles #3)

I picked up the first Exiles book from a second hand shop when I had nothing else to read and I had a burning desire to read fantasy again after a break from it. For some reason The Ruins of Ambrai lured me in. It was a struggle to get into at first, but well worth the wait. This third book has been troubled though, and I hope it gets finished and released.
I actually don't think that will ever be written unfortunately. The author had some difficulty dealing with the passing of her mother, which initially delayed the book. It's still listed as forthcoming, but it's coming up for 17 years now. I believe she's struggled to get into the right frame of mind to write the book. She did an urban fantasy series not all that long ago which too was unfortunately cancelled before it's conclusion, but that was a publisher decision and driven by less than expected sales. She's doing a new series called Glass Thorns and the 3rd volume of that is due out in April.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Richard Bendall

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that. It's a shame that she's been given grief from readers and publishers alike after being dropped mid-trilogy. It's a bad place to be if an author doesn't finish something or gets dropped before being able to as it's then hard for readers to invest in a new trilogy/series in case you don't finish it.

I've still got my hopes up though.
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Offline Phil the Drill

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to a book by Taiwanese author Wu Ming-Yi's book The Man with Compound Eyes. I heard about it on i09 a while back and it sounded pretty awesome.

From the book description:

When a tsunami sends a massive island made entirely of trash crashing into the Taiwanese coast, two very different people—an outcast from a mythical island and a woman on the verge of suicide—are united in ways they never could have imagined. Here is the English-language debut of a new and exciting award-winning voice from Taiwan, who has written an “astonishing” novel (The Independent) that is at once fantasy, reality, and dystopian environmental saga.

Doesn't sound like something I may normally read, but it sounds bizarre and intriguing, my two favorite adjectives. :)
“I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, & am content.” Robert E. Howard

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
Let me see...

The Door of Stone by Pat Rothfuss,
The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks,
Eventually....The Winds of Winter by George R R Martin
The next book in the Stormlight Archive (no 3!!)
The Bastards and the Knives by Scott Lynch
The next book by Ben Galley (title unknown as per last Bencast!)

Those are my major ones but there are a few more as well
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Sa5muelSB

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 05:33:26 AM »
And then GRRM gave us a sample chapter from Winds of Winter...I think that this is just making us more anxious
Samuel S. B.

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
The broken eye tops my list. Not a very extensive list as there are quite a few recently released books I am more interested in that I have to get around to reading.
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline Sa5muelSB

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »
Feel free to add them to the list.
The broken eye tops my list. Not a very extensive list as there are quite a few recently released books I am more interested in that I have to get around to reading.
I even think that there are so many people and authors put there who have brilliant fantasy works. You just never know where you will find these books...in a run down bookshop, a hidden library...just know there are so many out there...feel free to mention those books and authors you are looking forward to
Samuel S. B.

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 03:33:26 AM »
And then GRRM gave us a sample chapter from Winds of Winter...I think that this is just making us more anxious

There are actually a few sample chapters on his site right now to whet your appetite even more  ;D

As for me I've decided to only read completed series (thank you GRRM), so I'm just hoping Rothfus, sanderson, and Abraham finish their current main series soon so I can start kingkiller, way of kings, and dagger and coin asap !

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
AW: Re: Books you are waiting for???
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »

There are actually a few sample chapters on his site right now to whet your appetite even more  ;D

As for me I've decided to only read completed series (thank you GRRM), so I'm just hoping Rothfus, sanderson, and Abraham finish their current main series soon so I can start kingkiller, way of kings, and dagger and coin asap !
good luck waiting! ;) while Sanderson is an extremely fast writer, his series isn't even a quarter done. It's his Magnus Opus, so expect a waiting time of at least 6-10 years...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Sa5muelSB

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

good luck waiting! ;) while Sanderson is an extremely fast writer, his series isn't even a quarter done. It's his Magnus Opus, so expect a waiting time of at least 6-10 years...
That much I understand, I only hope that the TV series forces the man to do something about his pace. Sanderson is more reliable as of now, that is why I can read his books with a complete heart knowing 2 maybe 3 years at most for a wait
Samuel S. B.