July 17, 2019, 01:44:51 PM

Author Topic: Books where you've thought: 'that is just not possible!' ?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Overlord

Hi guys,

Interesting article on the main site today about using biology with fantasy to create a bit of realism. Of course, no one wants a book to be so biologically accurate that it is at the expense of creativity; but I think there is a certain level that needs to be maintained.

Just wondering if anyone can think of any books they've come across where they've been left thinking (from a scientific point of view) 'that is just not possible!'?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Books where you've thought: 'that is just not possible!' ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
Just wondering if anyone can think of any books they've come across where they've been left thinking (from a scientific point of view) 'that is just not possible!'?

Isn't this a moot question?
After all, 'magic' (in all its shapes) is the key item in fantasy books. When I read Mistborn, I wasn't exactly worried that people eating metals and then burning them to get special powers isn't scientifically possible... or that people using Talent in Night Angel again goes against the laws of physics...

Any other fiction books, ok, we can discuss plausibility, but not in fantasy :)

Edit: I've now read the article, oops - it actually addresses animals/creatures, and adjusting certain body features to the environment, whether they make sense or not. That can be asked, ok.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:37:27 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams