August 15, 2018, 01:50:29 AM

Author Topic: Books that started well but had a poor ending?  (Read 10087 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Books that started well but had a poor ending?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 08:08:38 AM »
I don't know about ending, since the last book isn't published yet, but book 4 of Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series had me gritting my teeth and screaming that a certain twist that happened isn't compatible with what and how he wrote in books 1, 2 and 3 >:( >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 10:21:38 PM »
I don't know about ending, since the last book isn't published yet, but book 4 of Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series had me gritting my teeth and screaming that a certain twist that happened isn't compatible with what and how he wrote in books 1, 2 and 3 >:( >:(

If we're thinking of the same one, then it really annoyed me too.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Having a character not exist even though we've had their PoV, right?

Redshirts had an ending that I hated. It was easily a five-star read until I got to the codas. The endings of both of Mark Lawrence's trilogy's have left me underwhelmed too.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Exactly!!!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:00 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Redshirts had an ending that I hated. It was easily a five-star read until I got to the codas. The endings of both of Mark Lawrence's trilogy's have left me underwhelmed too.
Agreed about Redshirts.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
I was about to said The Red Queen's War series and Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy, but whelps @Eclipse beat me to it. And @ScarletBea I'm glad you pointed that out about the Lightbringer series, I had a bad experience with Brent Weeks from the Night Angel, so now I can be sure not to touch his new series lol.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
now I can be sure not to touch his new series lol.  ;D
But see, Inky, books 1 to 3 are great, his magic system is one of my favourites, so I still strongly recommend those books - maybe just stop reading after the 3rd :)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 06:07:25 PM »
My first thought was also Stephen King. I think the ending of The Stand is probably one of the worst I've ever read, although with hindsight the whole book seems to have lost it's appeal to me.

The latest ending that disappointed me was 'The Dark Defiles'. I just don't feel it had any emotional weight behind it. The protagonist choose to do something, but I haven't a clue what exactly it was or what it meant.

'The Amber Spyglass' is definitely up there for me. I would go as far as to say that that whole book was a poor ending for the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy.

I'll probably end up thinking of dozens more after I post this.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »

Seriously, after Book 4 I really have no desire to finish the series.

Among completed series (so no ASOIAF) Fraser is probably it for me. I really liked the first two books but the last was just bad for me. I pretty much spent the last half of that book wondering why I was reading it, if I hadn't already read the first two it would have been a DNF.