November 19, 2019, 11:21:19 AM

Author Topic: Books that make you cry  (Read 7869 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Books that make you cry
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
I saw a post in the currently reading thread where the poster said that a book made them cry and I wondered if other books have affected people that way. I know my wife has done it, and on public transport no less. I have a few that can reduce me to tears. There's a section in The Lies of Locke Lamora that no matter how often I read the book, and I have read it a number of times, still makes me cry. A.R Lloyd's Kine (think Watership Down, but with weasels instead of rabbits) has a part in the latter 3rd that does it. Out of the genre Wilbur Smith's Cry Wolf also has a scene near the end that makes me cry as well. I know the Red Wedding in A Storm of Swords can affect people, heard stories about throwing the book across the room and have to compose themselves before going on. Any that do it to people here?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
Re: Books that make you cry
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
I did cry over the Red Wedding on the bus - that one is a bit of a shocker. I cried over The Knife of Never Letting Go (if you've read it you probably know which bit) and the end of Watership Down, of course. Oh! And the end of the Graveyard Book - the themes of growing up and moving on with your life always get to me.

And I think I cried about three times towards the end of Under Heaven. Guy Gavriel Kay's books always pack an emotional wallop.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:05:02 AM »
Oh yes, Guy Gavriel Kay always reduces me to tears at least once in a book - I think Lions of Al-Rassan and Song for Arbonne manage it two or three times. Daniel Abraham's pretty good at it too, especially in the Long Price books (they're slightly more heavily emotional than the more action-packed Dagger and Coin books). And I had an update on GoodReads while reading Genevieve Valentine's Girls at the Kingfisher Club that read: "I just cried most of the way to work." :)

I'm also easy to emotionally manipulate in movies. Television not so much: commercials break the atmosphere.

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
Fool's Errand - Robin Hobb
Spoiler for Hiden:
Nighteyes - quite possibly the most beautiful piece of writing ever
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Tom's Midnight Garden - Phillipa Pierce
The Time Traveler's Wife

There are probably loads more - I find as I get older I get more emotional.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Boo

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
I saw a post in the currently reading thread where the poster said that a book made them cry

Hello ;)

OMG yes. I don't cry that easily at books but once I start that is it. Let's see...A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, The Language of Dying and The Death House by Sarah Pinborough, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne, The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill and of course Watership Down by Richard Adams.
Intrepid Book Correspondent for GeekPlanetOnline

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
I saw a post in the currently reading thread where the poster said that a book made them cry

Hello ;)

OMG yes. I don't cry that easily at books but once I start that is it. Let's see...A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, The Language of Dying and The Death House by Sarah Pinborough, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne, The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill and of course Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Oh wow, I forgot about that one. Devastating book.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
The Time Traveler's Wife
My girlfriend cried. A lot.
I've heard it's quite common for this book.

And the end of the Graveyard Book - the themes of growing up and moving on with your life always get to me.
Same here. Not specifically the Graveyard Book (can't remember), but those themes.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
I knew I'd cried in some books, but couldn't remember which.
Then you said this:
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness,
Oh yes :'(

And now I remembered Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon. I was 16 and it hit me hard (one particular scene).

I can't think of others. I mean, I do shout at books, or get annoyed, or scream 'yay'. Crying is harder.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
I saw a post in the currently reading thread where the poster said that a book made them cry and I wondered if other books have affected people that way. I know my wife has done it, and on public transport no less. I have a few that can reduce me to tears. There's a section in The Lies of Locke Lamora that no matter how often I read the book, and I have read it a number of times, still makes me cry. A.R Lloyd's Kine (think Watership Down, but with weasels instead of rabbits)

Hmmm. I didn't come remotely close to tears with The Lies of Locke Lamora - though I enjoyed the book a lot. Watership Down on the other hand...

I think Robin Hobb has the most emotive writing of any author that I've read recently.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I almost did with that. I knew it was going to be rough after we got it, when I came home and found my wife on the couch with a box of tissues and a teddy bear.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:22:03 AM »
Oh, gosh, I'm drawn to the sad ones. 

Life of Pi, and Marley and Me (about the dog) made me cry. So did The Graveyard Book, The Book Thief, A Monster Calls, and Wonder. Middle-grade books are the worst offenders.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
I don't cry, but instead manfully tear-up at a good book ;) Robin Hobb's bloody Farseer series!! Oh Fitz...

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline TigerBright

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
Now I will be the first to admit that I cry very easily at books, I get really invested and then... Yeah.

Lies of Lock Lamora and Red Skies got me. Yes the horrific bits but also there are moments of sheer awesome that start me off too.

Robin Hobb, a few moments between Fitz and the Fool set me off. Mostly when they're just horribly misunderstanding eachother (one particular incident springs to mind...)

Harry Potter series is responsible for more childhood emotional scars than I care to name. :lol:

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »
Wheel of Time Book 5, Fires of Heaven. The scene with Moiraine.

Brought soo much emotion, damn.
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.

Offline Davis Ashura

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
The end of Riddlemaster of Hed always has me wispy eyed. Every one of the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant had me sighing in sorrow. Tigana as always. Katherine Kurtz managed it in Bishop's Heir. All older books, but hey, I'm older myself.
The crucible of tragedy teaches us the truth of our dharma: we sacrifice all so others need not. It is a weighty burden.

The Sorrows of Hume