June 01, 2020, 05:49:30 AM

Author Topic: Books not to read or at least not to buy!!  (Read 20840 times)

Offline Zziz

Re: Books not to read or at least not to buy!!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
Orcs by Stan Nichols is probably the worst book I've ever read. Actually it was three books in an omnibus edition that I picked up because the cover was so bad ass and the pages were pink.

Big mistake. Avoid anything by this man.

Offline kcmay

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:33 PM »
I really hope I never end up on a list like this.
LOL I was thinking the same thing.

The worst book I ever finished was Empress by Karen Miller. I wanted to like the story, but the main character was so unlikable, I kept reading just to see if she would finally redeem herself. Sadly, it turned me off so much that I'm afraid to try anything else by that author.
KC May

The Kinshield Legacy heroic fantasy
The Venom of Vipers sci-fi thriller

Offline Overlord

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 05:19:17 AM »
Orcs by Stan Nichols is probably the worst book I've ever read. Actually it was three books in an omnibus edition that I picked up because the cover was so bad ass and the pages were pink.

Big mistake. Avoid anything by this man.

I was in Thailand (I lived there for a couple years) and literally when I arrived in Koh Samui it was the only book I owned. I read the whole thing straight (three books in one!) and I remember by about page 400-500 I was beginning to hate books... It just seemed to follow this formula;

Talk about nothing... WAR! ... Talk about nothing... WAR! ... Talk about nothing... WAR!

lol... I remember heading to the book shop and picking up a book by Anne McCaffrey (Dinosaur Planet I think?) but found that pretty hard to get into too... Jonathan Stroud saved the day with Bartimeus though ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 07:31:28 AM »
There's another book, so bad that I've wiped it from my mind, but for you guys, I'll go look…ah, yes.  The Wanderer's Tale.  David something or other.  It wasn't godawful, but it was ….not good.  Very much a book in need of an editor, I'd say.  Interesting premise, characters, world…and it just didn't gel.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline silversun

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - Well of Darkness
This book is word vomit, totally pointless
At least it read relatively quickly.

Offline Itachimaru

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
The Silmarilion? Anybody read that? 600 names and I can't remember a damn thing of it, just that I needed to finish it cause it is "Tolkien"...
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Muhammad Ali

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
The last two Drennai novels by one of my favourite authors, David Gemmell, White Wolf and The Swords of Night and Day. I can see what he was trying to do with them, but I don't think it worked at all.

It's entirely possible there are Brian Lumley fans on the board. If there are, for the sake of whatever you hold sacred and dear do NOT buy a copy of a novel called Demogorgon. I usually enjoy Lumley's Lovecraft pastiche, in a campy, Hammer Horror sort of way, but Demogorgon is not his finest work. Not his finest work at all.

Oh, and I know I'll catch flak for this since every fantasy board has a few Piers Anthony fans on it, but if you happen to see copies of any Xanth novels in a shop, destroy the novel, burn down the shop it was in and salt the ground afterwards to make sure nothing can grow there ever again. Future generations must know that terrible evil once lurked in that place... :P
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
The Silmarilion? Anybody read that? 600 names and I can't remember a damn thing of it, just that I needed to finish it cause it is "Tolkien"...

Read it and LOVED it! I am going to re-read it again this year sometime.
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Bryndled1

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »

I've ready it serveral times, and while its a very good source of information for character back ground and good to know how Sauron became the big scary guy, you find out he was really just an evil henchman.

all of the research, back ground, and character creation is JRR, the information is good, well researched, fully fleshed. And it was "written" after he died. it has none of the style or voice of JRR, so I consider it an addenum and not an actual work of JRR

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »

I agree. If LotR was already full of over-descriptive scenarios and long narratives, then the Silmarillion pushes it to another level. If you strip the long list of meaningless names and such, it would become bearable. But only to hardcore LotR fans.

Here's another book to avoid: Valis, by Philip K Dick.

-SFB-

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:12 AM »
You know, I've read some Philip K. Dick, and I gotta say…I'd rather watch movies made from his stuff.  Bladerunner was far superior to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? At least, to me it was.

And I was incorrect about Hoffman.  Haven't read it.  I read The RIGHT Hand of God by Russell Kirkpatrick.  And that book was quite good, as was the whole series!

Offline Rhevian

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
The thing about the Silmarillion is that it isn't a fantasy novel in the conventional sense - it's an artificial mythology. It should be compared with the Mabinogion, Graves' Greek Myths, or the Icelandic Eddas.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »
I don't know that it's fantasy, but it sort of is…I don't know how to classify it (horror? magical realism?)…okay…how about just BAD? (and sad, too, because he's written some great stuff), is Dan Simmons' Drood.  Wow, was that sloooooooooooooow.

Offline darkshiara

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
I also disliked Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg, Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop and Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman. But well, these books seem to have too many people who like them so I'd better not risk it.

I actually Like Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop.  What I will say is that I read it on my e-reader and seriously called my friend who recommended the series because at times I felt like I was missing pages.  While I love the story Bishop tells, one of the things that I think can cause people to dislike her books are the random scene changes.  Some parts don't get the best concrete endings and she jumps you around a lot.  I do remember reading an interview with her that she isn't big on a ton of extra description and really wants to tell the story.  I think she has a great story but her some of her characters are generic and could use more depth to really hold all types of readers.  But on that note, I still loved this series but I can definitely understand a lot of the reasons why people do not enjoy her writing.

On that same note - I know this series has a huge following but.. man I really did not like the Thomas Convenant series by Stephen R Donaldson.  I tried.  I really did.  But I really hate the anti-hero.  And unfortunately that just makes me not want to continue reading.  He's just not a nice person (at least not in the first book). :'(
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

Henry David Thoreau

Offline Minesril

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »
His Dark Materials.  I know most people adore them, but I absolutely hated it.  Well.  The first one was OK, the second one was OK but had a pathetic, stupid ending which ruined everything.  The third one I gave up screaming in frustration half-way through.  Seriously, it's like he actually has a fantasy/epic checklist.  You can almost see each one being ticked off.  And the anti-religion arguments made no sense.