October 16, 2019, 08:42:32 PM

Author Topic: Book Trailers: Love em? Hate em? Favs?  (Read 9082 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Book Trailers: Love em? Hate em? Favs?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
Personally, pointless.
It's about 'books', which is something you 'read', not 'watch'.
The whole point of books (ok - for me) is to use my imagination, my pictures, create my own visualisation of characters, of places, of events. If that is being given out before I even pick up the book, it destroys it for me - the same way why I don't read books if I've watched them on the screen first (and why I don't like to see books translated to the screen) - they become something else, autonomous, not my books anymore.

(and yes, I realise and accept I'm 'a bit' pedant/anal/strict about all this visual stuff ;D)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jeni

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a book trailer, and I've never felt inclined to look for one if I'm searching for something new to read because...

It's about 'books', which is something you 'read', not 'watch'.
The whole point of books (ok - for me) is to use my imagination, my pictures, create my own visualisation of characters, of places, of events.

^^^THIS^^^

Exactly this.

I don't want to see someone else's interpretation before I've had a chance to create my own. Might as well just watch the movie version (if there is one) instead, if you need to see a book before you read it.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 01:57:08 AM »

I think booktrailers are a usefull new tool to promote your books. The internet is a visual medium. People respond to pictures and short movies, not to reading-samples that show up in their timeline. It can't replace the reading samples and the cover and everything, but when done right, it can make people interested about a story.
I don't generally look at them, and even then it's usually after I've bought and read the book to see how someone else visualised it, but I can see Kim's point in that they're another advertising tool and publishers and authors will use any method they can to get word out there about the work and get some interest in it. Trailers can reach a larger audience than other forms of advertising, so I can see why they're used.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline asabo

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
When people give marketing advice they always include book trailers. I was a little interested because I tinkered with animation once upon a time. But the thought of the learning curve and possibly having to buy new software and playing in a new medium would immediately be a time-sink when I really should be writing... It all made me dread making one.

But then my cover artist did a quick little one to show me what he could do and I was blown away. Mostly because it was my book. But if it captures / entices a few more eyeballs for an unknown author, I'm all for it.
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html

Offline MurchadsGrandson

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
In SFF terms the next books I'm reading will be

1. The Clockwork Vampire Chronicles (Omnibus) by Andy Remic
2. Cibola Burn by James S.A Corey

After that I'm not sure, I was thinking of reading the Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell (there's 6 of them, but they're relatively short so they can be block read quite quickly) but I like to alternate between SF & Fantasy so I might read the Gallow trilogy or maybe Thief Takers Apprentice by Nathan Hawke/Stephen Deas

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:39 AM »
I'm quite ambivalent towards them, they don't really make a great deal of sense to me as a reader. As others have stated it seems like the wrong medium to me to be going after readers. I think there could be a great potential for them as a tool for getting notice while trying to get published perhaps, they may work well for getting a good sales pitch together?
 They are in this day and age probably not going to be going anywhere and rise in prevalence due to the increase in access to the technology to make them.
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline CheshireGrin

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
I think book trailers can be fun, but I wouldn't necessarily judge a book by its trailer. Sometimes stories suffer when someone tries to present them in a different medium (hence why so many movies are never as good as the books). I can see where they could be a useful tool to promote your book, but unfortunately I think they can also have the opposite effect if not done well. Overall, I guess I'm on the fence. If done well, I think they can be great. If not . . . well, I think you get the picture. lol

Offline Kim ten Tusscher

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
I completely agree.

Capturing a story in words is something completely different than capturing a story in images. Movies and books will never tell the same story. But when it's done well, it can have the same mood or emotion.
Fantasy is distant from the real world. Because that’s the only way to oversee reality.

Excerpts for Hydrhaga and Bound in Darkness at: http://kimtentusscher.com/duisteren.html

Offline Jonathan Walles

• Soulfinder
  • Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
I can see both sides of the argument. It's a useful marketing tool to reach out over the internet. The allure of seeing scenes of your book acted out is enticing. Unfortunately, like its been stated already, a majority of book trailers look really bad/cheesy/low budget so it ends up hurting more than helping.

For example, I went to school and studied 2D animation so I was considering animating a trailer for my book since the characters are all portrayed as cartoons anyways. My friend then brought up an interesting point.
"If your trailer comes out really good, people might want to end up seeing it as a web series instead of a novel." Which in turn defeats the whole purpose of the trailer to begin with and actually ends up hurting me.

So I guess before deciding to go the route of a book trailer you really got to weigh the options. I mean, as cool as the idea of a trailer sounds, there ARE other successful ways to market a book.

Offline Richard Ford

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Best, and I think most effective, trailer I've seen is this one from Chuck Wendig - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcR1B-48lK4 - mainly because it's a little short story with just text and dialogue that perfectly sets up the tone of the novel.

Offline Richard Bendall

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »
My other half does marketing and I've questioned her several times on how the hell a fragrance can be advertised with visual medium, but more to the point, why people would think after watching "oooh, I'll buy that!" Watch a perfume/cologne/deodorant advert and see if they even describe what it smells like! In my opinion, it might as well be "this is our new scent, buy it".

If a fragrance can be marketed with a visual medium, then there's no reason I book can't be either. That said, though, I see the book trailers and want to cringe. They're badly done and feel cheap. If they're going to try and sell words with a visual medium (without creating scenes from the book in live action or CG) then they'll have to use artistic license and talk bollocks like the fragrance companies do.

Would there be enough ad time to read extracts that paint a good enough picture? Would it cheapen the idea of reading the book to have it acted out or provide several pictures or animations based on scenes (that basically tell a person how to imagine it)?

I'm not a marketing person, and however it should be done I've no idea, but how it is currently done isn't good enough.
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
Best, and I think most effective, trailer I've seen is this one from Chuck Wendig - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcR1B-48lK4 - mainly because it's a little short story with just text and dialogue that perfectly sets up the tone of the novel.

I generally don't like book trailers, only because they're not that good. But that one is perfect, it truly made me want to go and buy the book immediately.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »
I am not entirely convinced by book trailers, however i have enjoyed a few now and then.  i have included a link for, in my opinion, one of the best for Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCI85V1LO5A
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »
I am not entirely convinced by book trailers, however i have enjoyed a few now and then.  i have included a link for, in my opinion, one of the best for Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist.

That one made me cringe  :-\
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline asabo

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »

That one made me cringe  :-\

I agree! What's up with that narrator? He's speaking like it's a bad Tom Cruise thriller. (is that redundant?)
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html