June 02, 2020, 12:23:29 AM

Author Topic: Book reviewer websites do you visit them?  (Read 375 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Book reviewer websites do you visit them?
« on: April 04, 2020, 01:37:13 PM »

If you do which ones do you go to and how often? Not counting goodreads or library thing

I’ve just been to http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2019/10/finalists-for-5th-spfbo.html

10 different book reviewer review the SPBO have you visited any of the judges websites?

I’ve been to some of them very rarely or not at all.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Book reviewer websites do you visit them?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »
I don't like reading reviews before reading the books, but afterwards I check them out.
Mostly I read our own main site and Fantasy Hive.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
I've visited them, but only because I once entered SPFBO. Normally I wouldn't visit them. I come here (and one other place) for ideas on what to read, and that's enough. For reviews, I just look at some reader reviews, but mostly make up my own mind from the sample offered by most booksellers.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
I quite like reading reviews after  I’ve read the book to see if I agree with the reviewers haha
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
Infrequently. Sometimes one of the reviewers I follow on Twitter posts something that tickles my interest but that's about it. Tbh, I wish I knew of a review site for fantasy I trusted and enjoyed the writing of the same way I do for metal.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 07:56:16 PM »
Visit them? I run one.  8)

I tend not to read reviews. If a book looks interesting but I don't know anything about it, I might read one to find out more, but if it's a book I'm going to buy anyway I don't really see the point.

Her, Fantasy Hive and Tor.com I all visit daily, but I'm generally more interested in articles and interviews than the actual reviews.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:32 PM »
I used to follow a lot of review blogs - well, I still follow them, I just don't have a chance to read my blog feed very often these days. I found it particularly useful to hear more than one point of view on books, so that I could start to filter the points of commonality and difference, and how people were talking about a book. Those were the things that told me whether it was likely to be for me or not.

These days I get a lot of that from twitter - I follow a lot of reviewers and authors and agents, and I hear the buzz and get books on my radar (and tbr pile) that way.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 08:13:39 AM »
Not really. I only used Goodreads.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »
No, never.

I also use goodreads, but I rarely read reviews anyway.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline isos81

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 10:11:08 PM »
I don't visit review sites daily. Only when I need to read some reviews and it's almost always after Google search.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'