November 16, 2019, 02:39:30 AM

Author Topic: Book recommendations!  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Theallbook

Book recommendations!
« on: May 11, 2014, 05:03:12 AM »
Hello all you good folks,

As the title suggests, I'm looking to spend some time getting lost in fantasy worlds and would love your recommendations on the best worlds (read: books) to explore! Don't mind if it's a series or a stand alone as long as its good! I typically enjoy books with great world building (preferably with a good dose of magic involved) and interesting characters. Wow.. those were some really vague criteria! sorry guys, it appears my love of reading hasn't helped with my writing :-[  But I'll list some of the books I've enjoyed and hope it helps give a better idea of what I'm into!

the Kingkiller Chronicles
Ocean at the end of the Lane, American Gods, Neverwhere, Good Omens (almost anything Gaiman)
the Mistborn series
LOTR

Oh one little qualification for series recommendations: I do have a limited amount of time to indulge my reading, so please no recommendations for extra long series ala WOT or ASOIAF.

Thanks so much!

Offline Sinnerman

Re: Book recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »
Well I will recommend my personal favorites, The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. And since you dont want to be recommended longer series I will most certainly not recommend to you to read the (WINK) Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (WINK).

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.  First book of the Farseer trilogy and has a great magic system, a fantastic world and superbly drawn characters.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
I'll highly recommend Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (based on the fact you liked Kingkiller Chronicles and Mistborn). The second book is due out in the summer.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
Ben Galley's Emaneska series is an excellent short fantasy series to get in to, great magic system in a dark fantasy setting.
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
The first series I read after tackling ASOIF was Acacia and I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the third book.

One series without your typical "magic", but with some magic-like qualities was the Long Price Quartet. Even though it is 4 books, it is less than 1600 total pages, making it shorter than mistborn by a decent amount.

I'm halfway through the third book of the First Law Trilogy and it has definitely grown on me.

If you ever did decide to tackle a long series then Malazan would be my recommendation over ASOIF or WOT.

Offline Dubey

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Seconded for Blood Song by Anthony Ryan!

I would strongly recommend the Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch (Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas under Red Skies, Republic of Thieves. I think there are 2 or 3 more books still to come in that series)

if you are looking for a relatively short, yet completed series, I would highly recommend the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell (The Winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur). It is technically labelled as Historical fiction, but I think it reads very much like a fantasy series. Think Game of Thrones without the dragons. It is one of my all time favourite series/trilogies. Amazing writing, amazing characters.

Also, Way of Kings and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Books 1 and 2 of a 10 book series.

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
 I wouldn't be so quick to rule out long series. One book at a time, is one book at a time regarldess if it's a stand alone, or part of a series.

I just read Legend, by David Gemmell. A great short, stand alone.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »

if you are looking for a relatively short, yet completed series, I would highly recommend the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell (The Winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur). It is technically labelled as Historical fiction, but I think it reads very much like a fantasy series. Think Game of Thrones without the dragons. It is one of my all time favourite series/trilogies. Amazing writing, amazing characters.

I would second these! I loved the dark hints at magic and legend next to the quite gritty and violent depiction of an ancient world.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline magisensei

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
You might want to consider Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Fey series.  You might also want to try Terry Brooks - the first Shannara series (only if you have almost forgotten about Lotr).   

For a more fun fantasy series you might consider Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series. 

And there is Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series (for me on par with Robin Hobb's Assassin Apprentice series). 

Anne Bishop's Black Jewel series (only the first trilogy) is quiet good with a different look at magic.

Raymond E Feist - his classic Riftwar Saga (only the first four in the series) is something to try. 

Mercedes Lackey - her classic Valdemar series is also very good to try especially her early series. 

If you don't mind YA, then Tamora Pierce's fantasy novels are a must read - and no they read almost like an adult fantasy series it is just that the characters are young. 

If you want a newer series than "A thousand names" by Django Wexler is an epic series that has just started. 

Offline Kim ten Tusscher

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »
I would recommend Robin Hobb.

I would like to add more suggestions, but I read a lot by Dutch writers, so that wouldn't help.
Fantasy is distant from the real world. Because that’s the only way to oversee reality.

Excerpts for Hydrhaga and Bound in Darkness at: http://kimtentusscher.com/duisteren.html