November 13, 2019, 09:02:53 PM

Author Topic: Book Recommendation  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Leoleoni

Book Recommendation
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »
Hey Guys

I would be happy, if you could recommendate some books for me. I'm quite new to Fantasy books.

The First was the "A Song of Ice and Fire" serie and I very like it. After this serie, I've read the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Well, what should I say. After all that hype around the ASOIF novels, I didn't thought that I would read a Trilogy, which I enjoyed as much as the first named.

After these two followed the Mistborn Trilogy and the Farseer Trilogy. Of these, I found the Mistborn a bit more enjoyable, but it's close. These two were good, but I liked the first two better with the intrigues and so.

In the moment I have "The Ways of Kings"  and am 70% throught, with the next book to read after it. Well, here it's the same like the both above. It's sure a good book, but for me not as good as the first two.

Now I don't know which next after "Words of Radiance". I think about the Novels from Joe Abercrombie, but I don't know if they are also good or not. (Every other was  at least a Trilogy)

It would be nice, if you could make some Recommendations which are a bit like the fist two of my list.

I hope my englist isn't all to bad, it isn't my native language.

Leo

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:36:13 PM by Leoleoni »

Offline Rostum

Re: Book Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
Hello and welcome to the site

If you enjoyed first law trilogy you will enjoy the Joes books in the same world. Red Country, Heroes and Best served cold.

If you are up to reading in English there are free J.Abercrombie stories here:

http://www.tor.com/2016/01/12/twos-company-joe-abercrombie/

and here:

http://fantasy-faction.com/2013/some-desperado-short-story-by-joe-abercrombie

Offline Revan

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:00:31 PM »
The three standalone books in The First Law world, are even better than the First Law trilogy. IN particular, 'Best Served Cold' was even chosen as the best standalone fantasy book of all time, in this forum. Then of course, check the other trilogy from Abercrombie, 'The Shattered Sea'.

Considering that you liked Abercrombie, the next step is to read Mark Lawrence's 'The Broken Empire' trilogy. Despite Mark's protests (and he is a member of this forum), he and Abercrombie are the same person.

Because, you liked Mistborn trilogy, I guess that the next step would be to read Wax and Wayne quadrology, aka, Mistborn 2. It is set a few hundreds years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy.

If you want something like Mistborn, but in a far bigger scale, then go for Wheel of Time. It can be intimidating considering that it is 15 books long, and a couple of books there are incredibly shit, but considering all things, it is brilliant. Probably the only fantasy series I like as much as ASOIAF.

Because of ASOIAF/The First Law, you should go back to the roots, and see where does the 'grimdark' genre comes from. You'll find it if you read Glen Cook's 'The Chronicles of the Black Company'. Just 10 books long, don't worry.

Almost forgot about Patrick Rothfuss' 'The Kingkiller's Chronicles'.  It is basically, Harry Potter for grown ups, but 10 times cooler.

Also, don't forget to continue with Hobb. There are other 3 trilogies and a quadrology set in the same world. 'Liveship Traders' is incredibly good, significantly better than Farseer Trilogy. 'The Tawny Men' trilogy continues Fitz's story and it is as good as The Farseer.

To conclude this, read Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Tigana' and 'The Lions of al-Rassan'. You'll see that there are incredibly grey characters even before George Martin came to dominate the genre.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:23:45 PM »
What Revan said, plus Tales of Ketty Jay if you're ever in the mood for a fun, action-packed adventure!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 01:02:56 AM »
What Revan said, plus Tales of Ketty Jay if you're ever in the mood for a fun, action-packed adventure!

Everyone should read Ketty Jay.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »

In the moment I have "The Ways of Kings"  and am 70% throught, with the next book to read after it. Well, here it's the same like the both above. It's sure a good book, but for me not as good as the first two.

That's what I said, until I got to the last 100 pages. The ending will probably floor you.
If you like series with awesome plot twists and a healthy mix of intrigue and action, I suggest The Light Bringer Series by Brent Weeks. No one understands what the hype is about until you get at least a third of the way through The Black Prism. Then things get complicated.
Other than that, I think you're on a good track. A lot of the stuff that you've read and has been suggested to you above is on my list as well.

Offline Leoleoni

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »
Hey Guys

Thank you for all the recommendations. It looks like I have much to read again.  :)

I think after "Words of Radians" I will continue with the standalone novels by Jo Abercrombie and look after them here what I should next read.

Leo

Offline Hedin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »

Everyone should read Malazan.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »

Everyone should read Malazan.

Everyone should read my first novel.
Shameless plug!

Oh, wait. I haven't written one yet.
Damn.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Leoleoni

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
I have a question about the Malazan book of the fallen. I thought after the suggested books by Abercrombie and Lawrence I thougt I will read the Wheel of time, but to that I hear different opinions. Some say it's really good but others say it's just not as good as many people say.

So my question is: The Malazan Book of the Fallen in comparison with the Wheel of time, which one would you read first?

Leo

Offline Hedin

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
They're two really different series, the only thing they have in common is that they are really long.  I liked Wheel of Time but there are 3 books are so in the middle that really drag on.  Malazan is my favorite series ever and while it would obviously get my bias vote on that fact, based on what you said you liked I think it might be a better pick for you.  Either way I would recommend trying both.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
On my TBR list, Wheel of Time is higher, only because it has less books involved. If you include the books written by Stephen Erikson and the other guy, there's around 20 of them I think. With WoT, you only have 14, and they all go in the order they were written. It's not as confusing.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 05:11:39 PM »
On my TBR list, Wheel of Time is higher, only because it has less books involved. If you include the books written by Stephen Erikson and the other guy, there's around 20 of them I think. With WoT, you only have 14, and they all go in the order they were written. It's not as confusing.

There's 16 total right now but Esslemont's aren't essential to the main story, they're more of whats going on in the background if you're interested.  One a total word count comparison it's pretty close.  WoT is a little over 4.3 million words and Malazan is 4.5 million (3.3 mil for the main 10 and 1.2 mil for Esslemont's).

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »
Everyone should read  The Lies of Locke Lamora shame on you all for not mentioning it  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline magisensei

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »

So my question is: The Malazan Book of the Fallen in comparison with the Wheel of time, which one would you read first?

Leo

Both have pluses and minuses as to which to read first.  In general, WOT is more centered around its 6 main characters and the end of their world (although it does have a huge cast of characters); while Malazan is a bit more diverse in terms of characters and plot - for example the main characters from book 1 are not in book 2. 

WOT drags at times especially during the middle books (7-10 approx) and a million subplots; while the complexity of Malazan at times reads quite slow and at times a bit dense with complex schemes and world building. 

Reading the first book in each of the series is quite amazing - some of the best writing and stories that have appeared so really it is up to you which to read first.  The start of the WOT reads more like a traditional fantasy story with a teenage boy being pulled into an adventure; while Malazan reads more like an epic war fantasy with armies and mercenaries at the start of the first novel. 

------

As for recommendations - if you've tried Robin Hobb you might also consider Lynn Flewelling. 

If you are already reading Sanderson's books - have you tried Elantris - definitely worth the read. 

You might also consider David Gemmell - his novels are more sword and sorcery - but has an epic quality to them. 

David Hair's Mage Blood series. 

Django Wexlar's The Shadow Campaign.