October 30, 2020, 02:23:14 AM

Author Topic: Bittersweet endings (spoilers) what’s your favourite?  (Read 298 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Bittersweet endings (spoilers) what’s your favourite?
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
I always thought She who waits by Daniel Polansky had an awesome bittersweet ending. I miss warden probably one of the best fantasy noirs out there.

To make it harder you can’t say GGK 😛

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:14:31 PM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline hexa

Re: Bittersweet endings (spoilers) what’s your favourite?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:51:07 PM »
The Hungering Saga by Heath Pfaff.  My favorite fiction book.

Peat was scared off by a negative  review.  It is similar to Wheel of Time, with less magic, low fantasy

Online Peat

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 12:28:42 AM »
Less scared off by a negative review, more found little to enthuse me from many reviews of various stripes.

I always thought She who waits by Daniel Polansky had an awesome bittersweet ending. I miss warden probably one of the best fantasy noirs out there.

I'm not sure I can actually respond to this thread now.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline hexa

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:52:46 AM »
The Hungering Saga is grimdark.  The people who wrote negative reviews wanted a story about rainbows and leprechaun gold.  They can't appreciate a grim story

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »
Less scared off by a negative review, more found little to enthuse me from many reviews of various stripes.

I'm not sure I can actually respond to this thread now.

I know , I thought to myself let’s fuck it up for peat and cupiscent 😁 because I’m such a great person.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
I know , I thought to myself let’s fuck it up for peat and cupiscent 😁 because I’m such a great person.

I was literally typing "I feel personally victimised by this restriction" when I saw this addition. ;D

BUT OK FINE. Let's talk bittersweet endings, because they are my FAVOURITE. I can think of examples that aren't GGK, it's just that he does SUCH good ones.

There are many different types of bittersweet ending. There are ones where it's a case of "we won, but at what cost?" that leave you clutching your heart. And there are ones where disaster was foretold/obvious, but you hoped desperately it could be avoided, and the slow tick of the story has been showing that it cannot and indeed should not be avoided. And there are ones where two magnificent forces are set on a course that means only one can survive.

Fantasy does a lot of the first type, especially in the "count your dead" mode, but I almost  like it more when it's about what compromises the characters have made and damage they've done to each other and themselves. A great example: Lara Elena Donnelly's Amberlough Dossier. A differently great example, to my mind: The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

I desperately love the second type, but I'm having trouble thinking of a stand-out example right now. Perhaps Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle, where basically the first line tells you that Blue Sargent knows she will kill the first boy she kisses, and then every line thereafter just makes that more and more of a tragedy you really hope everyone avoids somehow. Dan Abraham's Long Price Quartet probably has some corkers in this category, but I cannot remember the details. They might also come under the third type, though.

GGK is really fantastic at the "unavoidable duel" type of ending. But I particularly enjoy a face-off bittersweet ending when the two forces are "a character and their own nature/choices". As an example of this, I find it hard to go past the Ralph Fiennes / Liv Tyler movie of Onegin, where every choice the titular character makes is terrible, and he suffers appropriately for it. (So Russian. So beautiful. I love it egregiously.)