January 25, 2020, 07:46:16 AM

Author Topic: Binge reading complete series?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline OhTheSqualor

Re: Binge reading complete series?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
I love binge reading.  I'm binge reading the Gentlemen Bastards books right now.  it's only 3 books as opposed to something insane like WoT, but it's a lot of fun.

Binge reading gives you a chance to really sink into the world and get some flow going.  I also love that I don't have to wait around for months to get some closure on the stories.

That said, I don't think I could tolerate a 10 book binge read.  I'd probably lose interest at least once.

Chris
Check out my site!!! Oh The Squalor

Or drop me a line on Twitter

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
I haven't tried doing one that long yet, but it's going to happen in my future with WoT.
Wish me luck!

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
I haven't tried doing one that long yet, but it's going to happen in my future with WoT.
Wish me luck!

You can probably safely skip (or read complete summaries of) several books in the 7-10 range.
;-)

It might actually add value to your experience overall.

Chris
Check out my site!!! Oh The Squalor

Or drop me a line on Twitter

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »
Wish me luck!

You can probably safely skip (or read complete summaries of) several books in the 7-10 range.
;-)

It might actually add value to your experience overall.

Chris
This.

I imagine it'd be pretty confusing to read the summaries - you'd probably wonder how so little could happen during a 250,000 word book.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
I "binge" read Malazan and the first 11 books of WoT (the Sanderson ones hadn't been released yet when I started).  I usually prefer to do so if I can so I can really immerse myself in the world and makes it less likely that I would have forgotten a detail from the early books.

The thought of reading that much Malazan at once...

*shudders*

Offline Revan

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
I read Wheel of Time in less than three months, and ASOIAF in 6 weeks or so.

On the other side, I don't do it always that way. For example, I make pauses between trilogies on The Realm of the Elderlings. Same for Robots/Foundation/Empire from Isamov. I even did a pause (to read The Childhood's End) while I was reading the Expanse.

To be fair, I might prefer reading in a go if the books are directly related to each other. Probably the reason why I haven't read yet The Stormlight Archive and The Gentlemen's Bastards.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:40:21 PM by Revan »

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »
I intentionally go looking for a completed series before I'll start a new one. I like to get the entire story in one pass if possible. I make exceptions for authors who have several books in the series complete. For example, I read about seven of the Malazan books before the rest were complete. Then I waited until ten books were out before picking it up again. I haven't started Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight series yet. Maybe when he's got four or five of them done I'll start that one.

I guess I just like the continuity and complete immersion into one world for several months.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »
You're one of those...
*watches as all the authors glare at you*
I have a friend like that, and I can understand it somewhat. Some people don't like the waiting and the cliffhangers and all that stuff. I just don't like to be limited. Plus, there's something about going through the years, eagerly awaiting the next book. You can think, "Oh yeah that year I was doing this." And it also gives you an excuse to reread the other books when you've forgotten what happened. With completed series, I just don't have the time for a reread. Too many books to get to.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 01:29:47 AM »
I intentionally go looking for a completed series before I'll start a new one. I like to get the entire story in one pass if possible. I make exceptions for authors who have several books in the series complete. For example, I read about seven of the Malazan books before the rest were complete. Then I waited until ten books were out before picking it up again. I haven't started Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight series yet. Maybe when he's got four or five of them done I'll start that one.

I guess I just like the continuity and complete immersion into one world for several months.

If it helps at all with the Stormlight Archive, I believe Sanderson has said he'll divide it into two series of five books. They'll probably be closely linked series, but you might be able to get something reasonably satisfying at the five-book mark.

Besides, they're so amazing that I doubt rereading them would be a chore.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 06:18:30 AM »
Guilty of binge reading a trilogy, such as Mistborn or Riyria Revelations, but much slower to read the next in a series as I am happy to spread them out. Have  found that if the follow-ups are in fact Prequels, as Riyria Chronicles, then I find it better to wait longer after the original. I started to read Chronicles too soon and what happened in their future was still fresh in my mind and somehow made it a little irritating, because you know exactly why they take certain actions or say particular things and the long term result.

I quite enjoy having a long series spread out a year at a time as they are published. Both Dresden Files and Rivers of London are high on my favourite series list, but to binge read all of them would not have worked for me.  I wouldn't have noticed the little touches, comments, jokes and references properly  and not fully appreciated the new characters and different locations as they are introduced, because I would be so caught up in the action.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 06:02:09 PM »
I have become almost exclusively a binge reader these days. Demon Cycle, Kingkiller, ASIOF and a couple other series are the primary reasons for this. I don't have the patience to reread the previous books with so much stuff on my TBR Pile and and my To Be Bought list, so I know when the next books in these series are released I'll be forced to just wing it with regard to people's names, places, and storylines. Not the worst thing in the world, but not ideal.
One thing I always do is pre-order any books in a series I know I'll want to read (part of the reason my TBR is so long) so that it helps the author's first week sales.  Currently I have 2 Books in the new Hobb, Lawrence, and Staveley series on my shelf just itching for the next books to be released so I can binge them  ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 07:27:54 PM »
Funnily enough, I used to be an exclusive binge reader (as I said, still my favourite type) but being here on F-F and more in contact with authors, I've learned how important it is for them the sales of book 1, so I've been doing it more - getting 1/2 before the series is fully published.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

BeardKing

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »
I have become almost exclusively a binge reader these days. Demon Cycle, Kingkiller, ASIOF and a couple other series are the primary reasons for this. I don't have the patience to reread the previous books with so much stuff on my TBR Pile and and my To Be Bought list, so I know when the next books in these series are released I'll be forced to just wing it with regard to people's names, places, and storylines. Not the worst thing in the world, but not ideal.
One thing I always do is pre-order any books in a series I know I'll want to read (part of the reason my TBR is so long) so that it helps the author's first week sales.  Currently I have 2 Books in the new Hobb, Lawrence, and Staveley series on my shelf just itching for the next books to be released so I can binge them  ;)

This is so me. :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
I’m on a k.J Parker binge
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 07:04:28 AM »
I’m on a k.J Parker binge

All hail the Lord of Threadcromancers Eclipse ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'