December 08, 2019, 03:30:29 PM

Author Topic: Best Recently Released Book  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Charlemagne

Best Recently Released Book
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:26 AM »
Hello Fantasy Faction!  :D

As some of you know, I've been ignoring my beloved fantasy genre for a little while now, focusing more on classics, or worse, not being able to find the time to read at all. Lately, however, I've found myself yearning for a return to my literary roots. I have a bit of a vacation coming up, and I'd like to tear through as many books as humanly possible. But I'm not really sure where to start. Due to my self-imposed exile, I have been seriously out of the loop when it comes to releases of books in the past couple years. This is where you all come in. I would love to know what books you all have loved in the past couple years or so. Rain down recommendations upon me!  :D

LIST OF REQUIREMENTS:
  • Must be available as either a paperback or ebook in the United States
  • Must be science fiction or fantasy
  • Must have been released in the past two years (or so)

Don't worry about how well-known the book is, or how many awards its won. I probably haven't heard of it, and I almost certainly haven't read it. Thanks, and I've missed you all.  :-*

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: Best Recently Released Book
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:36:49 AM »
CHARLIE!

We missed ya matey!

Ahem, probably need to give a recommendation to stay on topic.

I was out of the loop the last half of last year, so I'm having a hard time thinking up something you might like that I can personally recommend. Though, I'm sure you heard Abercrombie's got a new trilogy out. Half a King was released last year, but Half the World was out last month. Both were pretty remarkable. Half a War, the finale, comes out this summer, so a rush through those might be exactly what you're looking for before the final is released.

Glad to have you back though! I'll post more if ideas hit me.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:29 AM »
It's true that I've heard of Half a King, and equally true that I have yet to read it. An intriguing possibility...

Also considering jumping into the book club read. It's hardly recent, but I'm pretty sure I have Wee Free Men lying around somewhere, and I'd love to read some of Sir Terry and get involved with the book club!
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:51:45 AM »
In SF, the stand out for me has the Expanse books by James Corey, starting with Leviathan Wakes.  Apparently it wil be a SyFy series soon.

Folks on this site have been mixed in their views of Ancillary Justice but I loved it once I decided to ignore the author's experiment with using feminine pronouns for everyone and everything to indicate lack of gender in a language.

And I just finished Jen Williams' Copper Promise, absolutely fun Fantasy.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
I second @Jmacyk's recommendation for Copper Promise, Leviathan Wakes I found pretty decent but not exceptional, and Ancillary Justice I didn't enjoy at all.  :P

The Powder Mage trilogy kind of qualifies - the first book was out in 2013, but the two sequels were released in the last couple of years - and is a really good read.

Another great one is Fool's Assassin, but for that you really should read the rest of the Realm of the Elderlings first which is a rather extensive reading project if you haven't yet. Definitely recommended though.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
Luckily enough, I have a copy of Leviathan Wakes sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read... I read Promise of Blood and thought it was fine, not terribly impressive (loved the ideas, thought the execution could have been better). Nothing I've read about Ancillary Justice makes me really excited about it, so I'll probably wait to pick that one up. I'll definitely take a look at The Copper Promise though!  :)

A couple of titles some research has turned up: The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley, City of Stairs by RJB, Age of Iron by Angus Watson, and Traitor's Blade by Seb Castell. What do people think of these?

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
I'm reading a RJB book right now, and I can vouch he's a good writer. Kinda excited to get my mitts on City of Stairs, so of course I'd like to hear your thoughts.  ;)

If you're not interested in Ancillary Justice, I'm not sure you'll like The Mirror Empire. Little more ham-fisted social commentary I've heard, but then, I've also heard it's on par "Grimdark" wise with Age of Iron. You might like it then.

As for The Copper Promise and Traitor's Blade, well, they don't have US pubs. Book Depository might help, but that might be a factor for you to consider.

....hold the phone, Traitor's Blade is in ebook for the US?! Then definitely try that out. I've heard nothing but good things about it!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:42:02 PM »
....hold the phone, Traitor's Blade is in ebook for the US?! Then definitely try that out. I've heard nothing but good things about it!
It's Musketeer-swashbuckling, don't think you'd like it. ;) The next one in the series got just released. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
City of Stairs is great - really unique and definitely worth reading. I didn't think much of Traitor's Blade, though I'm in the minority - overrated imo. The Mirror Empire is very challenging.

Few suggestions from books I absolutely loved published in 2014:

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison - best new fantasy I have read in years.
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer - more like weird-horror-fantasy. Think modern day Lovecraft. Also very short.
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - timey-wimey SF thriller. Stunning book.
Make Another World.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »
They're not fantasy, but Wesley Chu's Tao books (The Lives of Tao and The Deaths of Tao) are excellent, and the 3rd (The Rebirths of Tao) is due out next month. Oddly enough for me, recently released science fiction is pushing my buttons more than recently released fantasy.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 11:47:06 PM »
A couple of titles some research has turned up: The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley, City of Stairs by RJB, Age of Iron by Angus Watson, and Traitor's Blade by Seb Castell. What do people think of these?

Oh, yay! I've read all of this and I would actually recommend all four.  I loved Mirror Empire, it does take a bit of investment, but nearly as much as Ancillary Justice (which I also loved). City of Stairs is great, though I didn't absolutely love it as much as many others. I really enjoyed Age of Iron, always think more people should read it. However, it is not for everyone. It is dark, there's one character that is particularly demented, so if things like that bug you, then skip it. Traitor's Blade is fun.

Looking through some of the other recommendations, personally I would recommend Touch over First Fifteen Lives ...  mainly because I struggled with the plot in First Fifteen Lives and never got quite as into it. Touch is North's latest novel and I loved this one! Either way, her writing is fantastic.

Broken Monsters or The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. The Shining Girls features a time traveling serial killer. Like those guys aren't hard enough to catch, this one travels through time! Broken Monsters, I don't even know how to explain it. Serial killer (again), but that doesn't do it justice. Both of them feature the POV of the bad guy, I actually love this as you get some insight into their twisted minds.

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey - starts with a nice little girl that is essentially in a type of prison. Wont say much more, you can get your spoilers elsewhere. I think its best to know as little as possible about this one.

The Martian by Andy Weir (SF) - Guy trapped on Mars by himself. This book is so incredibly good. The protagonist is quite humorous in his struggle for survival.

The Heart Does Not Grow Back by Frank Venturini (SF)-  This is an interesting one, I quite enjoyed it (was one that is hard to put down). Sort of a super-hero type story but the protagonist is rather broken.

Red Rising and Golden Son by Pierce Brown (SF)- get compared to Hunger Games and Enders Game.  I can see it, but also feel it's its own story. Highly addictive books.

The Just City by Jo Walton (F) - Time traveling goddess tries to create a utopian society by pulling people from different times to a single location. I was skeptical from the description, but loved this book.

Flex by Ferrett Steinmetz (F) - This book was just fun. Kind of like a Ready Player One, Breaking Bad mixup, with some of its own stuff mixed in. Magic can be distilled into a drug, and magic also stems from peoples obsessions. Fun read :)

Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marlier (F)- This was a recent book club read. Personally, I loved it. Kind of a dark fairy tale story.

The Thorn of Dentonhill by Marshall Ryan Maresca (F)- This was a fun fantasy, with a vigilante mage in a city full of street gangs.

And I agree with Elfy about the Tao books. They are great!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline CaitSpivey

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
Definitely added a few of these to my own to-be-read pile! Which is threatening to crush me right now...

I somehow managed to JUST discover Robin Hobb (I know, I know) and I've been tearing through the Rain Wilds Chronicles (first book Dragon Keeper). They're older, so you may have already read them; the first book was published in 2010 I think. Easy to read, but sooooo meaty. And I haven't read any of the other books set in this world, so easy to pick up as an outsider.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series, which is YA fantasy.
"Realism, in so far as it means reality to life, is always bad art." -Sherwood Anderson

Author | caitspivey.com
Editor of SFF at bearandblackdog.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 11:05:57 PM »
Definitely added a few of these to my own to-be-read pile! Which is threatening to crush me right now...

I somehow managed to JUST discover Robin Hobb (I know, I know) and I've been tearing through the Rain Wilds Chronicles (first book Dragon Keeper). They're older, so you may have already read them; the first book was published in 2010 I think. Easy to read, but sooooo meaty. And I haven't read any of the other books set in this world, so easy to pick up as an outsider.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series, which is YA fantasy.
Lejays17 really liked Sarah's series. She got to meet her at Worldcon, she's fun to see and listen to in person. She's coming down here later this year and we're hoping there will be a bookstore event we can get to with her.
On topic a little more I'm not sure if Charlie has read Mark Charan Newton's Nights of Villjamur, but that's pretty good, quite dark. One storyline is almost like a fantasy version of Gorky Park. It's part of a series, but can be read standalone fairly successfully.

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:43 AM »
Nights of Villjamur has been on my list for years now, but I've never gotten around to reading it. And as for Robin Hobb... might not have read anything of hers. Ever. I dunno why, but despite all the rave reviews I've never been particularly compelled to pick up Assassin's Apprentice—which I own, and seems like a logical starting place. *Ducks for cover from the fanboys/Nighteyes*

In other news, I downloaded approximately 12 samples of books onto my kindle last night. Keep the recommendations coming! ;D

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 03:15:15 AM »
Nights of Villjamur has been on my list for years now, but I've never gotten around to reading it. And as for Robin Hobb... might not have read anything of hers. Ever. I dunno why, but despite all the rave reviews I've never been particularly compelled to pick up Assassin's Apprentice—which I own, and seems like a logical starting place. *Ducks for cover from the fanboys/Nighteyes*

In other news, I downloaded approximately 12 samples of books onto my kindle last night. Keep the recommendations coming! ;D
While I liked the Farseer trilogy, I actually preferred the Liveships trilogy, and you don't need to have read the Farseer to read that one.