June 05, 2020, 11:08:57 PM

Author Topic: Best Book You Have Not Read  (Read 14647 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Book You Have Not Read
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »
Reviving a 2 year old thread, anyone?

On topic: I could make a list. No Sanderson or Hobb. Barely touched Abercrombie, GRRM, and Rothfuss.
That's surprising Chill. I think you'd really enjoy Abercrombie. I haven't read any Sanderson aside from Elantris, but I picked up the Mistborn trilogy on a 3 for 2 deal recently so should be onto that soon.
Mistborn is okay. If you really want a good Sanderson book, read alloy of law. Same world as Mistborn, but 343 years after the third book. Alloy of law is probably Sanderson's best work.

Wow! How opinions differ! I thought Alloy of Law was his weakest.  Way of Kings is his best for me by a country mile.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 03:16:13 PM »
I never read Hobb, Abercrombie and Sanderson. But since I bought my e-reader last year I've been catching up on various authors, so I'll soon read these three as well, I hope!
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Overlord

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »

On topic: I could make a list. No Sanderson or Hobb. Barely touched Abercrombie, GRRM, and Rothfuss.
That's surprising Chill. I think you'd really enjoy Abercrombie. I haven't read any Sanderson aside from Elantris, but I picked up the Mistborn trilogy on a 3 for 2 deal recently so should be onto that soon.
Mistborn is okay. If you really want a good Sanderson book, read alloy of law. Same world as Mistborn, but 343 years after the third book. Alloy of law is probably Sanderson's best work.

Wow! How opinions differ! I thought Alloy of Law was his weakest.  Way of Kings is his best for me by a country mile.

Totally different books, but I feel that Gariath has the right of it - Way of Kings is incredibly good and Alloy of Law is a throwaway pop novel (a very good one).

Ally of Law conclusion:

Not Sanderson’s most epic and memorable novel and not a book that I’m going to remember as a classic – but it wasn’t meant to be. What Sanderson has done is prove his ability to work within crossover genres and that promises exciting things for the future.

Way of Kings conclusion:

This is a series that I truly believe will be one of the great fantasy series we remember in 50 years time, without all the stigma attached to it for taking too long or going downhill.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:32:42 PM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline andreasn

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 11:17:51 PM »
I'm 15 years old and I've read fantasy for a while but about a week ago I hadn't read lord of the rings yet. everybody is asking me how many times I've read it before when I tell them I'm reading lotr.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
I'm 15 years old and I've read fantasy for a while but about a week ago I hadn't read lord of the rings yet. everybody is asking me how many times I've read it before when I tell them I'm reading lotr.

I've never read LotR either .....

The Hobbit  put me off as I didn't get into it  :( (strangely I enjoyed the recent film there have just done)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Algon 33

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »

Totally different books, but I feel that Gariath has the right of it - Way of Kings is incredibly good and Alloy of Law is a throwaway pop novel (a very good one).

Ally of Law conclusion:

Not Sanderson’s most epic and memorable novel and not a book that I’m going to remember as a classic – but it wasn’t meant to be. What Sanderson has done is prove his ability to work within crossover genres and that promises exciting things for the future.

Way of Kings conclusion:

This is a series that I truly believe will be one of the great fantasy series we remember in 50 years time, without all the stigma attached to it for taking too long or going downhill.
Way of Kings was not a great book. Enjoyable, maybe good, but never great. Words of Radiance was a huge step up, and Stormlight Archive is (or will be) overall better than Alloy of Law. But I felt that all of the aspects of Alloy of Law blended just right. Of course it had its flaws, but for all that I'd still recommend it as an intro to Sanderson over Way of Kings.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
I've never read any of the Dune books nor anything by Hobb or Gaiman (I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of too).

Offline Khartun

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
I haven't read Hobb or Rothfuss but they are both on my TBR pile.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
Hobb is on my list as well. I have read her under the name Megan Lindholm, however.

Offline Sinnerman

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 04:08:57 AM »
I've never read Rothfuss or Peter Brett but that is more me waiting for them to finish their stories than anything else. I have finally gotten around to reading Hobb which i am currently doing at the moment.
Also I have never read any Gene Wolfe. I picked up The Wizard Knight once and couldnt get into the first 20 pages but I have always meant to try again.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:31 PM »

Ally of Law conclusion:

Way of Kings conclusion:

Way of Kings was not a great book. Enjoyable, maybe good, but never great. Words of Radiance was a huge step up, and Stormlight Archive is (or will be) overall better than Alloy of Law. But I felt that all of the aspects of Alloy of Law blended just right. Of course it had its flaws, but for all that I'd still recommend it as an intro to Sanderson over Way of Kings.

Why offer an Urban Fantasy as an intro to Way of Kings? Sanderson has tons of Epic Fantasy that you could draw upon? Also, I'd argue that you will enjoy Alloy of Law FAR more if you read the previous Mistborn books before hand (not just because Alloy of Law contains spoilers for that series).
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline The Tsunami

Best Book You Have Not Read
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
I've never had the pleasure of reading any Tolkien, Hobb, Jordan, or Abercrombie. Though they are on my list of things to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Follow me @TsuIVami  I Follow Back.
Add me on GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20571301-john-barry

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »

Can't see the harm Chill

On topic: I've never read Lord of the Rings still and Never read Redwall either
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:09:43 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 01:57:42 AM »

Along the most regarded books I hear about that I have yet to read include:

01 - The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
02 - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
03 - Stormlight Archive by Sanderson
04 - The sequels of The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
05 - Malazan by Steven Eriksson
06 - Dune by Frank Herbert
07 - The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
08 - The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula Le Guin
00 - The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
10 - David Gemmell
11 - Elric by Michael Moorcock
12 - Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker
13 - Discworld by Terry Pratchett

And possibly many others. If they are good or the best I don't know but these always pops everywhere on recommendations, analysis or discussions around the web.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:59:37 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 04:16:21 AM »
First time seeing this thread, so here goes mine.  ;) At the moment, I haven't read:

1. Books by Mark Lawrence
2. Books by Robin Hobb
3. Books by Joe Abercrombie
4. Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch
5. Books by Jim Butcher
6. Books by by Terry Goodkind
7. Books by Terry Brooks
8. Books by Sir Terry Pratchett (although I have a nagging feeling in my stomach that his style won't really be to my preference, but we shall see)