April 07, 2020, 02:37:43 PM

Author Topic: Ask Scott Lynch  (Read 12552 times)

Offline Idlewilder

Ask Scott Lynch
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
Scott Lynch has very kindly offered to do a little ongoing Q&A with us here on the forum for the next few days. He'll pop on now and then to answer any questions we may have - so fire away!

I'll start off with one which I'm dying to ask:

Are we likely to see Camorr again in the main narrative of the series?

Thanks Scott!  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:52:35 PM by Idlewilder »
Make Another World.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Ask Scott Lynch
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »
I've got one. Will we ever get to see more of Father Chains background, maybe even a short story with him as a younger man?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline arzvi

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »
Will the series go beyond Locke as main protagonist? Have you thought about killing him?

Offline Scott Lynch

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
Are we likely to see Camorr again in the main narrative of the series?

Yes, absolutely. At least twice, I'm thinking.

Will we ever get to see more of Father Chains background, maybe even a short story with him as a younger man?

The magic 8-ball says... outcome uncertain. 50/50, I'd say. I've got a fair notion of his history and why/how he ended up the way he did. As to whether I'll find a really inspiring hook to hang his story on... can't say. So it's only a possibility for now.

Will the series go beyond Locke as main protagonist? Have you thought about killing him?

I think about killing him every. damn. book. ;)

But, ah, saying more beyond that is really entering spoiler country.

Cheers,

SL

Offline Hoosay

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
Hey Scott, how's it going?

How many books are planned for the Gentleman Bastards series?

Do you have any plans for any other series either in the same world or outside of it?

The world your characters inhabit has a late medieval early renaissance Italian vibe to it, is that a time and plce that interests you, and you would have written your world like that anyway or was it a case of coming up with a plot that involved conmen and organised crime and building a world that supported that plot element? Not sure if that question makes any sense, but it kind of does in my head.

I haven't read Republic of Thieves yet, but it's definitely on my list, can I assume that there will be plenty of shenanigans, kicking of asses and general skullduggery?

Offline Ziqon

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
Hi Scott, Really excited about book 3 coming out. (Seriously glad it didn't come out in the middle of my exams..) anyway, my question:

Will we ever find out Lockes real name? or did you purposely put that bit at the end of TLOLL so we'd just think of the most ridiculous name we could for him ourselves?

Thanks for doing this!
Also, don't want to be answering questions for you but I believe there are seven books planned plus a novellette with two stories? and as for the father chains bit, I remember in the first book he mentioned a story involving a magnificent table and chucking a load of furniture in the sea, I would be very much interested in hearing the full story some day!

Offline AddisonCrow

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
Hi Scott

Have you had coffee yet? :P  Also, I second Ziquon’s comment about hearing the furniture in the sea story.

Real questions: Do you have a room filled with maps and all connected with strings and notes stuck all over?
AND Which author or work do you really dislike being compared to that makes you think reviewers/marketers just don’t get it?

Can't wait for Republic, even if Sabetha is ginger. Thank youuuuuuu!
'tsundoku' - (n) buying books & not reading them, leaving them to pile up on shelves, floors and night stands

addisoncrow.wordpress.com

Offline Kate

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »
Scott,

Could you please tell us the exact sequence of months in the Therin calendar? I'm trying to reconstruct the chronology and it's frustrating!

So far I think I've sorted out: Gondolo, Morgante, Sendovanim, ?, Iono, ?, Perelandro, ?, Aza Guilla, Nara, ? and ?.

Thanks!

Offline Tenfingers

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Hi Scott

You've probably been asked this hundreds of times before, but which came first - character or plot?

Thanks
Alister
"Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens."
- Ray Bradbury

www.mister-alister.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Scott Lynch

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:40:12 AM »
Hey Scott, how's it going?

It's busy! I don't know if it's a mid-30s thing or what, but it seems like someone has been deducting hours from each day; they seem to be flashing by in seven or eight hours rather than twenty-four, and if there was a complaint form to fill out I'd have filled it out by now. Other than that, things are good.

How many books are planned for the Gentleman Bastards series?

Seven.

Do you have any plans for any other series either in the same world or outside of it?

Ideally, there will be an additional seven-book sequence set a generation after INHERIT THE NIGHT, bringing the story full circle for all the participants. Plus a number of smaller side projects.

The world your characters inhabit has a late medieval early renaissance Italian vibe to it, is that a time and plce that interests you, and you would have written your world like that anyway or was it a case of coming up with a plot that involved conmen and organised crime and building a world that supported that plot element? Not sure if that question makes any sense, but it kind of does in my head.

I love the study of the time period, but I originally set the story in something much closer to the 12th century than the 16th. I rapidly realized that the earlier world simply wasn't socially or economically complex enough, and not populated enough, to allow the sort of crime Locke & Co. practice. So I had to model it on Renaissance/Elizabethan lines to support my criminal plot elements.

I haven't read Republic of Thieves yet, but it's definitely on my list, can I assume that there will be plenty of shenanigans, kicking of asses and general skullduggery?

Extreme chance of shenanigans, solid kicking of asses, excellent chance of repeating skullduggery. Believe it or not, the body count in this book, for the most part, is lower than that of its two predecessors. The story threads focus more on threat and tension rather than slit throats and spilled brains. I wanted to switch things up a bit. 

Offline Scott Lynch

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 04:39:13 AM »
Will we ever find out Lockes real name? or did you purposely put that bit at the end of TLOLL so we'd just think of the most ridiculous name we could for him ourselves?

There is more on the subject of Locke's name in The Republic of Thieves, but you might say that for every answer there's a question. Further, author sayeth not.

Have you had coffee yet?  

It's hot and humid as hell around here lately, and there's no demand for coffee inside or outside the cells of my body. When cool weather comes again, I will haunt the coffee-shops, choosing and slaying the double espressos that are my natural prey. And the occasional mint mocha. Because I can, dammit. 

Real questions: Do you have a room filled with maps and all connected with strings and notes stuck all over?

Sometimes, yes. I take down my planning materials when I move on to a new project, so the old clutter gets replaced with all-new clutter. I am a little old-fashioned in some of my planning; index cards and cork boards are recurring tools.

AND Which author or work do you really dislike being compared to that makes you think reviewers/marketers just don’t get it?

You know, I don't think I've ever really had anyone make such a dumb or un-apt comparison (that I've noticed) that I had to take offense. Maybe it'll happen someday. Stare at the internet long enough and all things are possible. I've occasionally heard twits say ignorant things about being part of "fantasy" or even "genre," as though these were inherently disgusting things, but being a twit is its own worst punishment and I don't give a damn.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:26:02 AM »
I have another one.  :D

What's happening with The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives? I'm fairly sure you answered this elsewhere, but my Google brain isn't working this early in the morning.
Make Another World.

Offline Scott Lynch

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »
Could you please tell us the exact sequence of months in the Therin calendar? I'm trying to reconstruct the chronology and it's frustrating!

So far I think I've sorted out: Gondolo, Morgante, Sendovanim, ?, Iono, ?, Perelandro, ?, Aza Guilla, Nara, ? and ?.

Those are all gods; the Therin calendar uses a sequence of twelve-year periods with one in each period named for each god. This present calendar, the so-called Cycle of the Divines, is not yet a thousand years old. And if the great-great-great-great-great grandchildren of the people of Locke's time have any sense, they'll shitcan the whole mess for something much more straightforward. ;)

The months that have been named, off the top of my head, are Parthis, Festal, Aurim, Saris, Tathris, and Tirastim. I do not actually have a full cycle worked out yet. What I have is a list of blanks that I fill in as I go along, so at least I know I'm not fouling the chronology. I expect to have the whole thing filled out around the fifth novel.

Offline Scott Lynch

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
What's happening with The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives? I'm fairly sure you answered this elsewhere, but my Google brain isn't working this early in the morning.

The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic I'm mired in right now, and hope to have finished asap. it should be going off to Subterranean Press before Republic hits store shelves, and as far as I know its art is ready to go, so assuming Bill likes the story the first novella should be out soonish. Choir I hope to finish before the end of the year.

Offline hyptonize

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
Have you ever thought about writing an additional series in a future Camorr (like 2 or 3 centuries later), like Brandon Sanderson has done with his Mistborn series?