September 17, 2019, 01:58:09 PM

Author Topic: Articles We Are Currently Looking For - Want to Write for Us?  (Read 7981 times)

Offline Overlord

Articles We Are Currently Looking For - Want to Write for Us?
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
Got some great articles coming up for you guys, there are a few that we do not yet have but I would love to have included. If any members would be interested in doing this for us (to feature on the main site) please email me at marc@fantasy-faction.com

Articles

A look at how Heroes have gone to the Dark Side
(Looking at how no longer is fantasy about whiter than white characters)

Why they call us Geeks
(Looking at why Fantasy Fans have been mocked over the years - Are they right to mock us? Are they wrong?)

Fantasy for Beginners
(What Fantasy Books should beginners to the genre read?)

Fantasy for Experts
(What Fantasy Books should the experienced Fantasy Reader be checking out to push the boundaries?)

Magic in Fantasy;
(Looking at the different Magic Systems in Fantasy, the similarities, the differences, the possibilities)

Author Spotlights;
(Looking for profiles on G.R.R. Martin, R Jordan, Hobb, Salbatore, Sanderson, McCaffrey, etc... you choose)

Series Spotlights
(Looking for analysis on A Song of Fire & Ice, Malazan, Wheel of Time, etc... you choose)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Shanothaine

Re: Articles We Are Currently Looking For - Want to Write for Us?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
I have a suggestion - it's something that I've been thinking about for some time:

The idea is this - Writing (specifically fantasy and sci-fi) as a mixture of Neoplatonic idealism, the act of taking responsibility, and finally (here's the whopper), transcendence.

I'll write it and mail it to you, then you can see whether you like it or not?

Peace out!
Renegade book reviewer and haphazard writer:
blog: http://geishahouse.me
twitter: @Shanothaine

Publisher at Fox & Raven Publishing
twitter: @FoxRavenPub
facebook: www.facebook.com/FoxandRaven

Offline Overlord

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
I have a suggestion - it's something that I've been thinking about for some time:

The idea is this - Writing (specifically fantasy and sci-fi) as a mixture of Neoplatonic idealism, the act of taking responsibility, and finally (here's the whopper), transcendence.

Peace out!

I shall await your email :)

Offline Shanothaine

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »

Peace out!

I shall await your email :)

Awesome! :P

Offline rsullivan9597

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
These are all great ideas - I'm just sorry that I don't see myself as an expert in any of those topics to contribute. I'm not sure how much of the audience here is interested in publishing (as well as reading). I find from Cons that I go to that many fantasy fans are aspiring authors as well. If you ever want some articles on "getting published" then I'm you woman. I have a TON of experience on this aspect rather you select self-publishing (now a viable alternative), small press publishing (I own and run one), or big-six traditional publishing (my husband will be published through Orbit).

Let me know if you have any interst and I can toss out some ideas that others who have come to my lectures on publishing have found interesting.

Offline Shanothaine

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »
These are all great ideas - I'm just sorry that I don't see myself as an expert in any of those topics to contribute. I'm not sure how much of the audience here is interested in publishing (as well as reading). I find from Cons that I go to that many fantasy fans are aspiring authors as well. If you ever want some articles on "getting published" then I'm you woman. I have a TON of experience on this aspect rather you select self-publishing (now a viable alternative), small press publishing (I own and run one), or big-six traditional publishing (my husband will be published through Orbit).

Let me know if you have any interst and I can toss out some ideas that others who have come to my lectures on publishing have found interesting.

I think that's quite a good idea - perhaps a sort of "practical" side to writing fantasy and getting it published. I'm also a small-press (co-)owner, and I think a better understanding of the industry as a whole could benefit everyone here greatly.

M

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »
As someone who is hoping to be published in some way some day, would love to see some articles on publishing. :)  Also, feel free to start threads in the Writer's Corner if you have any advice or tips you think would be useful to our writing community. :)

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »

While I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it thriving (yet), we have a small group of writers who actively discuss all parts of the art/craft over in the Writer's Corner subforum, so I'm sure articles on the topic would be well received around here.
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline deejrandom

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »
I could actually cover most of the topics listed above...  Emailing now :) Woot!

Offline Tegh

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:06 AM »
I'm game with writing a few articles, sent my e-mail along already, and may have a few ideas for a couple other ones.  If any pop to mind (before the end of my work day) I'll pass them along 'ere and see what ya think ;)
If any are interested in a small sample of my writing...

http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/Tegh

Offline Overlord

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
I'm game with writing a few articles, sent my e-mail along already, and may have a few ideas for a couple other ones.  If any pop to mind (before the end of my work day) I'll pass them along 'ere and see what ya think ;)

Got your email! Will reply as soon as possible (at work so have to keep flicking between screens you see!) ;)

Offline Lyz

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
With a series spotlight, are you looking for something that is a more concise narrative of the entire series, or are you looking for a sort of primer, describing the major places, people and plots?   
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Offline Overlord

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
With a series spotlight, are you looking for something that is a more concise narrative of the entire series, or are you looking for a sort of primer, describing the major places, people and plots?   

It can be done either way really... I mean it is very hard to do the first way without giving away tons of spoilers. The second method is probably easier to write and I think it is a cool way for people who have read a series to recap themselves and remember what they have previously enjoyed :)

Offline Tegh

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »

It can be done either way really... I mean it is very hard to do the first way without giving away tons of spoilers. The second method is probably easier to write and I think it is a cool way for people who have read a series to recap themselves and remember what they have previously enjoyed :)

Unfortunately, you listed the Wheel of Time as one of the series, and I've been reading those for over a decade...

I don't even know where I'd begin a recap of that monster.  Even though i just recently finished the last one, I'd still be hard pressed to try and remember what parts happened in what books in the past lol.
If any are interested in a small sample of my writing...

http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/Tegh

Offline betsdavies

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
Diane Wynne Jones died this year after making major contributions to fantasy both in an amazing body of work and in being the giant mortals stood on (Gaiman).  I'd like to see a tribute to her.