October 20, 2019, 07:28:40 AM

Author Topic: Any good Arthurian Fantasy?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Charlemagne

Any good Arthurian Fantasy?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 01:06:04 AM »
I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian series starting with The Winter King. Very entertaining, gritty, and irreverent. How Arthur would have been if the legend hadn't been so hopelessly romanticized (and I love those stories).
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Phil Norris

Re: Any good Arthurian Fantasy?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
I'll also recommend Cornwell's Warlord series - The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur - honestly the most believable Arthur telling I've ever come across. Is it fantasy? No, the is Druidic magic performed by Nimue and Merlin but it is grounded magic and portrayed in such a way that you can tick both YES/NO to the question "is this magic".

Arthur in this is nothing like anything I've come across before. He is never king, there is no Camelot and the round table is neither and gets a barest of mentions. For me this makes the story 100% more believable, it is as much a story of Arthur as it is of the birthing pains of a nation.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »
I'll also recommend Cornwell's Warlord series - The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur - honestly the most believable Arthur telling I've ever come across. Is it fantasy? No, the is Druidic magic performed by Nimue and Merlin but it is grounded magic and portrayed in such a way that you can tick both YES/NO to the question "is this magic".

Arthur in this is nothing like anything I've come across before. He is never king, there is no Camelot and the round table is neither and gets a barest of mentions. For me this makes the story 100% more believable, it is as much a story of Arthur as it is of the birthing pains of a nation.

Ooh! Is this Bernard Cornwell's research into the real origins of the legend perhaps? Then it's just been bumped up my pile!

Offline fairbetty

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »
If you haven't read any Mary Stewart, you MUST read her. The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment are all Merlin's perspective on the Arthurian legend, some of my favorite books ever.

And she follows up that trilogy with a fourth book that will REALLY wow you: The Wicked Day. It's Mordred's story. I loved it.

I'm curious to know what you think!
Freelance editor of fiction, fantasy and sci-fi.

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
I just read Steinbeck's (yes, the Steinbeck) version/translation of Malory's 'Morte' which he calls 'The Acts of King Arthur and his Noble Knights.  It is not a novelisation or retelling, but a direct adaptation, though with a bit more smoothing here and there than the literal translations into modern English. I was curious what it would be like, and really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, he never finished it.  I think I saw it back in print recently, though I'm not sure it's any more complete (i.e. notes and reconstructions) than the old version I had.

You can't not read TH White though. Required reading. ;)