August 25, 2019, 01:42:59 AM

Author Topic: Any good Arthurian Fantasy?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Any good Arthurian Fantasy?
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:41 PM »
I read a few threads but didn't find one specifically about fantasy books set in Arthurian legend.

I have read a few books about this topic in a historical & scientific perspective, so I was now wondering if there were any good fantasy novels out there?

My TBR is already huge, but I think it is hungry, so I intend to feed it a bit more!

;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:36:35 PM by M. G. Boronha »
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Any good Arthurian Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Would The Red Knight by  Miles Cameron count?

http://www.orbitbooks.net/interview/miles-cameron/
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »
The Sword in the Stone and The Once and Future King by T H white are the some of the best Arthurian fantasy novels or if you like it a little bit more realistic then the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall i would also recommend to you as well.
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »
Just added The Once and Future King by T H White on my TbR pile thank you
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
I'm quite a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon. Read it first when I was 16 and it shaped all my understanding of Arthur's legend.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »
I'm quite a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon. Read it first when I was 16 and it shaped all my understanding of Arthur's legend.

I watched the movie when I was in my teens, and enjoyed it, but never had the curiosity to see if the books were any better. Maybe I'll give them a go this time. My memory is ridiculous, so it will probably even feel like a new story to me  :)

Thanks for the other suggestions, too! Already added the titles mentioned to my TBR list  ;D

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline P.Boyle

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »
Firelord by Parke Godwin. Arthur as he never was, but probably should have been.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

I watched the movie when I was in my teens, and enjoyed it, but never had the curiosity to see if the books were any better. Maybe I'll give them a go this time. My memory is ridiculous, so it will probably even feel like a new story to me  :)

Movie? I didn't know they had made a movie of that book - checked, and one of the review titles is "If you liked the book, you'll hate the movie", so that must have been a reason why it passed me by, hehe
The arturian movie I remember, that is now probably incredibly dated but I loved at the time, is Excalibur, which I loved and must have watched when I was 13 or something ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Tyche

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
The movie/musical Camelot gives another point of view, too.  I've read some others and can't remember the names or even the author any more.  I also just searched 14 bookcases for them, and couldn't find them.  However, Le Morte d'Arthur would be a good starting point, if you haven't already read it.  Possible recommendation is that you do an Internet search for Arthur, Science Fiction (or Fantasy) and see what pops up.  Arthur has been covered a lot, and in a lot of different ways (including from Merlin's point of view).  That you would tackle something like this tells me that you think you have a fresh approach, and I wish you luck with it.

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »
The movie/musical Camelot gives another point of view, too.  I've read some others and can't remember the names or even the author any more.  I also just searched 14 bookcases for them, and couldn't find them.  However, Le Morte d'Arthur would be a good starting point, if you haven't already read it.  Possible recommendation is that you do an Internet search for Arthur, Science Fiction (or Fantasy) and see what pops up.  Arthur has been covered a lot, and in a lot of different ways (including from Merlin's point of view).  That you would tackle something like this tells me that you think you have a fresh approach, and I wish you luck with it.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm only interested as a reader, not as a writer :) I actually read excerpts from Le Mort d'Arthur at university, and studied them from a historical perspective. From what I've read, it is also the source for some of the authors mentioned in this thread, such as T. H. White.

I searched on the internet too, but people here are always more helpful & their opinion more trustworthy. So, keep them coming!  ;)

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »
I started collecting Arthurian books in my teens. Always had such a fascination with this legend, I think it must be the fantasy geek in me. I think everything I have has already been listed here. When in doubt, I like to browse Goodreads for suggestions. This list could be a good start. What you find could be trash, or maybe a forgotten gem, never know. :)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »
I tried The Once and Future King back many many moons ago. I'd recommend that. And Le Mort d'Artur. Like you, I've read excerpts of it in classes and loved it. But not from a historical perspective.

The arturian movie I remember, that is now probably incredibly dated but I loved at the time, is Excalibur, which I loved and must have watched when I was 13 or something ;D

After studying Le Mort d'Artur, I remember having to sit through Excalibur. It's good, if you like symbolism crammed down your throat. ;) *Shudders* So much green light.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
Pendragon Cycle  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/stephen-lawhead/  , Camulod  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/jack-whyte/

Agreed with this. (Though quite random that this is their one and only post. Are you Stephen Lawhead?)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »

After studying Le Mort d'Artur, I remember having to sit through Excalibur. It's good, if you like symbolism crammed down your throat. ;) *Shudders* So much green light.

You watched it about 20 years too late - as I said, it hasn't aged well, hehehe