January 22, 2020, 11:59:34 AM

Author Topic: Annoying things done to books by other people  (Read 8766 times)

Offline Takoren

Re: Annoying things done to books by other people
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
All of that would be a major irritant, but thankfully I've never seen the bogey thing. Disgusting.

I also don't recall ever seeing a bug-splatter on the inside of a book. The outside, though, I've done myself (with a phone book or rolled-up magazine, NOT a novel).

My father folds back the spine on all his books. He says it makes them easier to hold with one hand. Once I realized he does that, I told him he's never borrowing from me, unless I'm done with the book and don't want it back. He's also one of those people that's never heard of a bookmark and dog-ears the pages.

I also hate lending my books out and either A) not getting them back at all or B) getting them back in such a condition that the person I lent it to simply had to have spent a few days in a foxhole in the hottest part of a war. These days I have a VERY short list of people I'll lend to, and even there I tend not to lend anything I really want back.
"The battle's won easy and the war's won cheap
My lords seem to trust me but I'm just 18
So I'll hang their hides from the bannisters
When I take my revenge on the Lannisters
Got engaged to a Frey so I could win a free pass
Can't get with Talisa but damn dat ass
Hey, hey, I wanna be Robb Stark..."

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »
All of that would be a major irritant, but thankfully I've never seen the bogey thing. Disgusting.

I also don't recall ever seeing a bug-splatter on the inside of a book. The outside, though, I've done myself (with a phone book or rolled-up magazine, NOT a novel).

My father folds back the spine on all his books. He says it makes them easier to hold with one hand. Once I realized he does that, I told him he's never borrowing from me, unless I'm done with the book and don't want it back. He's also one of those people that's never heard of a bookmark and dog-ears the pages.

I also hate lending my books out and either A) not getting them back at all or B) getting them back in such a condition that the person I lent it to simply had to have spent a few days in a foxhole in the hottest part of a war. These days I have a VERY short list of people I'll lend to, and even there I tend not to lend anything I really want back.
Your Dad would be an ideal candidate for an e-reader, can't fold those back and should be able to hold it with one hand, can't dog ear the pages and don't require a bookmark to hold your place.

Offline Takoren

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 01:37:38 AM »

Your Dad would be an ideal candidate for an e-reader, can't fold those back and should be able to hold it with one hand, can't dog ear the pages and don't require a bookmark to hold your place.
He has one, but he loves the feeling of holding an actual book. In that, he and I are alike.
"The battle's won easy and the war's won cheap
My lords seem to trust me but I'm just 18
So I'll hang their hides from the bannisters
When I take my revenge on the Lannisters
Got engaged to a Frey so I could win a free pass
Can't get with Talisa but damn dat ass
Hey, hey, I wanna be Robb Stark..."

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »

He has one, but he loves the feeling of holding an actual book. In that, he and I are alike.
We're actually the same. We both have e-readers, but prefer to read physical books.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »
I suppose this one isn't something done TO a book but done WITH a book. Nothing annoys me like having someone come by the house, pick up the book I'm in the middle of, and start reading it. That's the equivalent of walking to my husband and flirting with him while we're standing next to each other. If a book is not on the bookshelf, then clearly we are currently in a committed reading relationship and touching it is the height of rudeness.

Don't even get me started on the person who then inevitably asks to borrow the book, and who I know will be incredibly offended if I say no.

My mum does that. I find it quite endearing and like that someone else might enjoy a book I am enjoying.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Saurus

• Royalty disguised as a peasant. Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 11:17:03 PM »
I used to dog ear pages as a child.. :-[ I also ate a lot while reading (or perhaps never stopped reading, even when eating?), and I can be such a sloppy piglet when I eat. @Raptori often says we need to get a bib for me.

Nowadays I look after my books well and take extra care not to spill when eating ^_^
Who wouldn't love a brat with dirty hair?

Offline Yora

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
Do you know how you can share a paperback with a friend even though you have not finished it yet?

Give them the first half and keep the other until you finished it.  :D
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor
Undreamed Ages - A forum for Sword & Sorcery literature and art

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
Do you know how you can share a paperback with a friend even though you have not finished it yet?

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »

That doesn't only apply to paperbacks. Though you might need some tools when lending hardbacks...  ;)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »

EVIL!!! >:( >:(

:'( poor book, destroyed :'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 08:42:17 AM »
Coffee Rings on top of pages just had that one recently again
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:44:17 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Blackthorn

Annoying things done to books by other people
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
Ive never cared about a book having a broken spine,  sometimes things happen.
       When we read sleepy hollow in class there were several passages that had been marked off in sharpie, I understand why but it annoys me because I still don't know exactly what was under those marks.

My number one problem, why can't my favorite bookstore use price tags that,  once ive purchased the book, will peel cleanly off the cover.

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
@Bradley Darewood does all of the above ????

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
Oooooohhhh I hate the price-tag problem.

@Eclipse I am the patron saint of well-treated books (except when they are damaged from me hurling them across the room, or melting in extreme heat)

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Oooooohhhh I hate the price-tag problem.

@Eclipse I am the patron saint of well-treated books (except when they are damaged from me hurling them across the room, or melting in extreme heat)

Is that what you do with Mr Sanderson books? ????