October 23, 2020, 12:48:07 AM

Author Topic: Annoying things done to books by other people  (Read 9278 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Annoying things done to books by other people
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
1 Bending the spine of novels

2 Folding a corner of page so you don't forget where you are in the story

3 Food and drink stains

4 Using the book to kill insects (opened a book with dead swiped insect in middle of book from library)

5 Looks suspiciously like a bogey falling out the book again from library

6 Smells of smoke, luckily you don't get this as often as you once did
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:41:20 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Annoying things done to books by other people
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »
Every. Single. One. Of. Those. Above.

And people who write in library books!! The copy I got for Time Machine had been used by a student and it was full of their study notes. If it was any other book, I would have returned it unread.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:54:21 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
And most importantly - not giving it back to me!  ;D

cass4692

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »
Someone aggressively scribbled out the word God every single time it was used.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
Oh, you people would not like me...

I dog ear
I spill
I fold

I don't scribble, but I almost wish I did. (My grandma used to. You get a book of hers passed down, and it has pencil underlining and marginalia. It's a bit like discussing the book with her. She would also but notes into pages to mark favorite passages - again, with pencilled notes.)

And how's this one? I have a candle in a jar on my bedside table. If I blow it out, my wife complains of the smoke. So... I place a book across the top and starve the wick of oxygen. Borrow a book from me and find a sooty mark on the back, and you'll know all about it.

Okay, I now expect to be disowned and eviscerated here on F-F. If there was still Karma, I'd plunge to -20. Come on, have at me.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
 >:(
*reminds self NEVER  to lend books to Jmack*
 ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
Oh, you people would not like me...

I dog ear
I spill
I fold

I don't scribble, but I almost wish I did. (My grandma used to. You get a book of hers passed down, and it has pencil underlining and marginalia. It's a bit like discussing the book with her. She would also but notes into pages to mark favorite passages - again, with pencilled notes.)

And how's this one? I have a candle in a jar on my bedside table. If I blow it out, my wife complains of the smoke. So... I place a book across the top and starve the wick of oxygen. Borrow a book from me and find a sooty mark on the back, and you'll know all about it.

Okay, I now expect to be disowned and eviscerated here on F-F. If there was still Karma, I'd plunge to -20. Come on, have at me.  ;D

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline YordanZh

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »

You're kidding, right? You just made my day, thumbs-up from me. :D

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
Please tell me you don't pick you nose in bed and stick it inside the book Jmack. I hope you have more class than that and eat it instead hehe
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:13:35 PM »

You're kidding, right? You just made my day, thumbs-up from me. :D

Well, I don't fold, and I don't write in my books.
I do dog ear.

I've been known to spill. And have you ever eaten potato chips while reading? Crumbs get between the pages and make little oily dots, plus the paper gets raised from the bits of salt. You have to go back through the pages to find the offending crumb and sweep it off. And then there's another.

I do use books for all manner of convenient tasks: propping windows, smooshing down curled paper, and - yes - extinguishing jar candles. What can I say?

No boogers, @Eclipse. I'm not even sure I'd recognize one. :p  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline KazaktheAwesome

• Tribute
  • Come For the Guardian and There Will Be Blood
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »
The number one thing I hate is people eating sloppily while reading. When I was in third grade, my classroom had a small library comprised of books from our teacher's personal collection.

She would lend the books to us on an honour system but asked us to take care of her books.

I opened one and there were chocolate stains everywhere. Even as an 8-year-old, I felt such anger that both that book and my teacher had been disrespected.

So even though I'm a neat eater, every time I pick up a physical book with food in my hand, I think back to how angry I was and end up putting the food down.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
When I was a kid I used to always read at the dinner table.  I kept some of my favorite books to pass on to my kids and when I last thumbed through them I saw there were numerous pasta sauce/pizza sauce/mac n cheese sauce/other unidentifiable stains on many of the pages.  I can only imagine what the library books I borrowed look like. 

I'm with Jmack, if its your book do whatever you want with it.  If you want to scribble or get food stains or attempt to start a fire with it (I'm waiting for the day Jmack forgets to blow the candle out before putting the book on top) then go for it.  Books are meant to be read and used and if it looks like its been used that means it's been handled enough that it was probably loved.  I do draw the line, however, on library books as those aren't yours and should keep them in good condition.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
I know other people do this as I've seen pictures, but does anyone else ever use their Kindle as a book mark? O:)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
The number one thing I hate is people eating sloppily while reading. When I was in third grade, my classroom had a small library comprised of books from our teacher's personal collection.

She would lend the books to us on an honour system but asked us to take care of her books.

I opened one and there were chocolate stains everywhere. Even as an 8-year-old, I felt such anger that both that book and my teacher had been disrespected.

So even though I'm a neat eater, every time I pick up a physical book with food in my hand, I think back to how angry I was and end up putting the food down.

Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.