July 22, 2019, 03:22:19 AM

Author Topic: Active members with novels  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Active members with novels
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2019, 12:03:29 AM »
Mark, you don't count because you're famous ;D
I think this thread is mostly for the 'small minions', hehe - you're royalty 8)

Yeah, lets exclude published authors after all it would be terrible if they posted on the forum.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2019, 05:52:14 AM »
Mark, you don't count because you're famous ;D
I think this thread is mostly for the 'small minions', hehe - you're royalty 8)

Yeah, lets exclude published authors after all it would be terrible if they posted on the forum.
You know I didn't mean it like that! They're on the first post list anyway :)

Edit: I created a separate thread on the Book Releases section by way of apology...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:13:53 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »
Death's Merchant (Common Among Gods #1) by Justan Henner

This book is amazing don't be put off by the page numbers the story does indeed need it. This novel for me is on par with Malazan with all the intrigue and politics going on between different groups of people and the history of the Gods and their aspects are fascinating.

I loved all the characters with all their own unique personalities one of my favourites is the mysterious Not Lu I just loved reading about him.

From what I've read so far off his work Justan Henner is a most talented writer and I will be looking forward to his next book.

Only one minor thing that annoyed me with the book is that there needs to be more variety in swear words felt like every character that swore only know the word butcherin.

on par with Malazan? That's a Must Immeadiately Read Book :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2019, 09:02:54 PM »
Death's Merchant (Common Among Gods #1) by Justan Henner

This book is amazing don't be put off by the page numbers the story does indeed need it. This novel for me is on par with Malazan with all the intrigue and politics going on between different groups of people and the history of the Gods and their aspects are fascinating.

I loved all the characters with all their own unique personalities one of my favourites is the mysterious Not Lu I just loved reading about him.

From what I've read so far off his work Justan Henner is a most talented writer and I will be looking forward to his next book.

Only one minor thing that annoyed me with the book is that there needs to be more variety in swear words felt like every character that swore only know the word butcherin.

on par with Malazan? That's a Must Immeadiately Read Book :)

Wow, wow. Hold on. Malazan is the peak of fantasy for me and any comparison to that better be good. You have me hooked by that comparison and now I have to see for myself.

@isos81 and @Bender I can second Eclipse on his review stating it's on par with Malazan. Several people have mentioned it in reviews of the book.

I think the comparisons between Death's Merchant and Malazan come from a few things. First, it's a huge book -- like 1300 pages. It's a big story told from 10 or 15 points of view (and has probably 25 important characters). Like Erikson, Justan uses the very personal stories of the characters (many of which don't know they're pawns in a war between gods) to tell the big overall story.

The other thing is that it's a dark story (fight over the ascension of a god of Death), but told in a lighthearted way (think Tehol, Bugg, Krupp, etc.).

Where Justan differs a bit from Malazan is that Death's Merchant isn't grim. Most of the characters are optimistic and the world isn't just a set of obstacles to overcome.

@Eclipse you must have missed all of the swearing like, "for Order's sake", "blooding fool", "filthy blooder", "butcherspawn", and "whorespawn". And those are just the curses I could think of off the top of my head. :)

Offline Bender

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2019, 07:08:53 AM »
Thanks @Not Lu. I just started the book and about 50 pages in. Love the concept so far.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2019, 01:47:28 PM »
Don't trust him, he's a plant. And he's not Not Lu, either.

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Coreling
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Wish I was more active. The downside to being an introvert I guess. I'll get there. 150 posts. Should only take about 3 or 4 yrs. Hah.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, but today just doesn't want to end.

Always looking for readers.

Offline dhreiss

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2019, 12:07:27 AM »
Brand J. Alexander wrote:
Wish I was more active. The downside to being an introvert I guess. I'll get there. 150 posts. Should only take about 3 or 4 yrs. Hah.
I was just thinking to myself that I should schedule my entry in this post to sometime about a century from now...

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Coreling
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
I was just thinking to myself that I should schedule my entry in this post to sometime about a century from now...

I've looked for a few posts to join in on. I've even begun writing a few. But have deleted more than I have clicked post.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, but today just doesn't want to end.

Always looking for readers.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
You can post anywhere, even really old stuff if you think it's interesting!
We like new posts 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2019, 05:16:19 PM »

I've looked for a few posts to join in on. I've even begun writing a few. But have deleted more than I have clicked post.

Post we don't bite apart from when I turn into a werewolf.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2019, 02:06:25 AM »

This is what eclipse looks like after his transformation

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »

This is what eclipse looks like after his transformation

How did you get a picture of me?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
I’ve Started Goblins at the Gate.

I’m wondering why Marcus is so respected by the troops ? I’ve read the first 100 pages and still waiting for him to show a bit more oomph/Initiative .Slightly disappointed with this character so far hope he turns it round for me.

Is the Old man nickname a nod to Glen Cook’s Black Company ?

I thought the first chapter with the scout was very strong and I like the double act between the two leads.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:07:32 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate