November 18, 2018, 06:07:39 AM

Author Topic: Active members with novels  (Read 1554 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: Active members with novels
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »
Haha, oh yeah. I published an anthology of short stories a few (maybe closer to ten) years ago.

-> Fictional Times - a fabulous anthology of wondrous stories (amazon.co.uk link) + (smashwords-link)

It never took off (<50 sales), but I got two nice reviews (both four stars).

Quote from: F. Fawcett
After finishing these short stories, I was left with the same sense of satisfaction that I used to find when I first discovered science fiction many years ago. They do what sci fi is supposed to do: explore an alternative world which ultimately causes you to look at the real world in a new way. The stories examine how the characters cope with bizarre and unsettling situations which have pulled them from their normal routines. Most of them deal with the relationships of people to time - time gone awry in a variety of ways. People respond with a range of emotion from desperate grief to resignation to a kind of ironic detachment. The situations are touched on gracefully, leaving the reader's imagination to fill in many of the details.

The author has introduced several extremely likable characters, with whom it would be a pleasure to spend more time... I enjoyed two of the stories particularly, and would like to see them expanded, "Time traveling gone wrong," and "Time and again." The writing style is humorous and engaging and for the most part very smooth, but in a few places could benefit from editing by a native English speaker - these are minor and do not detract from the overall experience.

All in all these stories are an enjoyable read, and they leave you quite thankful that, in your ordinary life, time behaves as expected.

Quote from: D. Vonk
At the start of this neat short fiction anthology, the author Christian Abresch quotes Albert Einstein "The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." It's surprising Einstein said it, as he's known for making things less mysterious by thinking up rational theories to explain them and put the mysterious into words.
How ever that may be, the quote pretty much grasps the entire tone of the collection. Abresch spends little time explaining the reason why several incredible phenomena happen(often involving time travel), but rather likes to keep it mysterious and focuses on the experiences of his characters.
With a fresh new look at the grandfather paradox, a story about christmas, and one about magic mushrooms Abresch manages to keep the stories interesting, despite most of them having an overlap in themes.
My favourite story is definitely 'Last one standing', this short story as well as commentary brings a M. Night Shyamalan like revelation (something Christian Abresch seems to have a talent for as he does the same in several of his stories) and has to be read twice to really experience well.
It was a great read, entertaining stories, nice ideas and fun twists. With 8 stories it was just a bit too short for my taste.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

Re: Active members with novels
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
Well, I have written 8 or 9 short novels (for NaNoWriMo, over the years), but no-one will ever see them.

I did get a couple of people to read the YA SF novel, when I was thinking of self-publishing it just to see how the system worked, but the feedback made me realise it needed more revision than I was willing to do.