September 20, 2019, 02:43:52 AM

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 627 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: June 30, 2019, 08:01:21 AM »
1. The Most imaginative creatures/races you’ve read or written in fantasy or science fiction?

2. The best spin of a traditional races like Elves,Dwarves ,Orcs,Goblins and Gnomes etc you’ve read ? Have you seen Elves not live in forests or Dwarves mining and making weapons.

3.The most creative mode of transport in fantasy or science fiction ?

4. Which are the best taverns/inns you’ve seen in a novel ?

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »
I'll let people with better memory than I reply...
You just highlighted that I can reply to them just after I finish a book with those things, but give me a few months/years, a bunch more books, and it's all gone from the "easily retrievable memory" part of my brain :'( :-[

Although about 2 I will have to say Tormalin in Jen Williams' Winnowying Flame trilogy: super non-traditional elf ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »
2. The best spin of a traditional races like Elves,Dwarves ,Orcs,Goblins and Gnomes etc you’ve read ? Have you seen Elves not live in forests or Dwarves mining and making weapons.
Raymond Feist has elves living in cities, on the tops of mountains, and other places.

Offline Bender

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
Have to think on the rest a bit...

1. T'lan Imass from Malazan
3. Floo Powder/Network from Harry Potter
4. McAnally's Pub from Dresden Files
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Shadow Op
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »
1. For books I've read I would say Aelfinn and Eelfinn from WOT. Also the insect race from Feist's Daughter of the Empire.
As for my own books, definitely the Braukah Aquinar, AKA Duggins. Formed by a Goddess of the Seas and a God of Stone, they merge the cuddly nature of a Sea Otter with the defensive properties of a tortoise. Then you give them power over stone and a fetish for sparkles. I love Chuka the Duggins.

2. As for traditional races in new roles, I can't think of one. Although, I always thought of Tad Williams Sithi as an Elf adjacent race. And found the Dwarrows to basically be Dwarven Elves.

3. Besides Airships and riding dragons I had difficulty thinking of one. But in Mercedes Lackey's The White Griffin and others, the griffins aren't big enough to carry people so they suspend them in nets between the griffins to fly around.

4. Most memorable one for me is the Crown of Roses in the WOT. They returned to it often and not only did it have a big library, but it often had an Ogier in that library. So that's a bonus.
Explore the Universe of Brand J. Alexander
https://brandjalexander.wixsite.com/website

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »
Except for the elves and dwarves question, SF wins across the board. They have the most imaginative creatures, most creative modes of transport, and even have the best inns (e.g., Callahan's Crosstime Saloon).

As for the third question, I'll add my own spin. Has anyone done traditional elves and dwarves better than Tolkien? Sometimes I think it's harder to do traditional well than to break the mold, because if you do traditional you're being held to such a high standard.
Visit Altearth

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »
1. Anything from China Mieville, especially the Bas-Lang books.

2. I would actually cite the Silmarilion, as a lot of Tolkein's imitators overlooked his nuances and themes.

3. The Mortal Engines books had moving cities. That's pretty hard to top. They also ate each other. And the plot of 'The Scar' revolves around some people on a city made of ships trying to harness a giant alien monster to the city so it can go faster.

4. Eh... No idea. Inns in fantasy usually are just a place to meet mysterious strangers or get into a fight.

Offline isos81

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 07:36:47 AM »
Can't remember any  :'(  :-[

I should keep track of these too :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 02:56:24 AM »
1. Written? Does that mean my imagination counts?

2. I feel like I haven't read enough too answer this. I'm pretty fond of Gully Dwarves from Dragonlance

3. I saw this thing where teleportation was actually just cloning and they incinerate your original body, but they dont tell anyone that's what you're actually doing when you teleport. I forget what that was from....

4. Here in tempted to talk up my own tavern... just bc I like the name

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 05:25:22 AM »

2. I feel like I haven't read enough too answer this. I'm pretty fond of Gully Dwarves from Dragonlance

3. I saw this thing where teleportation was actually just cloning and they incinerate your original body, but they dont tell anyone that's what you're actually doing when you teleport. I forget what that was from....

Hey, is number 3 from 'The Prestige', where Hugh Jackman actually cloned himself by Tesla's instrument and had his old bodies killed off? That's actually a spoiler for the movie, though.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 07:31:29 AM »
1. Has to be the Hooloovoo (a super intelligent shade of the colour blue) in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

2. I liked what Jonathan French did with orcs in Grey Bastards reimagining them as rather like Sons of Anarchy inspired bikers and I also loved Larry Correia’s gangsta gnomes.

3. The Heart of Gold Improbability Drive starship in Hitchhikers again. Doctor Who’s TARDIS.

4. There are so many. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe in the book of the same name. There’s also derelict, grounded boat that Barsavi holds court in in The Lies of Locke Lamora, the Sinspire in Red Seas Under Red Skies was also pretty cool.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 07:47:54 PM »

Hey, is number 3 from 'The Prestige', where Hugh Jackman actually cloned himself by Tesla's instrument and had his old bodies killed off? That's actually a spoiler for the movie, though.

Haha I'm pretty sure that's not what happened in the Prestige. No this one was interspace travel

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »

Haha I'm pretty sure that's not what happened in the Prestige. No this one was interspace travel

Transfer Transit from the tv series Dark Matter sounds fairly similar. You lie in a pod, get cloned on a distant planet. As long as the clone returns to its own pod, you get to keep the memories.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Peat

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »
They also do the whole clone thing in Schlock Mercenary too.

Okay, going from the top...

1. Uhm. Uhm. I think by now, I've seen so many ideas twice, that none of them stand out. The Cho-Ja in the Empire trilogy were super cool at first, but now they nothing. Seen pretty much every beast race under the sun a few times now.

I'm tempted to go with Pratchett's Vampires.

2. Pratchett has the best dwarves. It's not really a spin on them, simply exploring the straight practicalities of the situation. Best spin on Elves belongs to Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

3. The Stilt Striders from Morrowind! Honourable mentions to the coach with witches brooms under it from Discworld and Wheel of Time's portal stones.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
4. Which are the best taverns/inns you’ve seen in a novel ?

Does King's Paws count? ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'