December 12, 2017, 02:26:58 AM

Author Topic: Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Naminé

Re: Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
Magician's Apprentice was my first novel by Trudi Canavan and I'm sorry to say: I didn't like it too much. It's slow and I never really felt a connection to the characters. It just didn't grip me.
Hiro (meeting himself in the future): I look upset.
Ando: Go. Talk to yourself.
Hiro: No way... I scare me. You do it.

Offline Azrael.

• Coreling
  • Wake me up when the world is sane.
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
I am a huge fan of this world, to the extent that this series is my favourite fantasy series. However, I am not a fan of Trudi Canavan's other work, I just couldn't get into them, for some unknown reason.

Whilst, I love the original series and do love the prequel; her writing style has definately matured. It felt too close to the original; with the reference to healing. It felt to me like Tessia was related to [as in, an ancestor of] Sonea. This might be due to multiple reasons; the similarity of the story structure; the focus on healing, and/or the way the characters are portrayed.

I do agree with the arguement about the ending, how it could have been better, but at the same time I think it was needed to set up the third series. However you could argue, due to Lord Dannyl investigating into the past, which the reader now knows; it would have been fun and interesting to discover it along with him. That said, the new book series is focusing on a different, new aspect which would be difficult to understand if not for the prequel.

I enjoyed it and the series is still my favourite, but it could have been better.
What is a man but the sum of his memories?
We are the stories we live!
The tales we tell ourselves!

They called me mad.
I called them mad.
Damn them!
They outvoted me!

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad.
People are either charming or tedious.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
I am a huge fan of this world, to the extent that this series is my favourite fantasy series. However, I am not a fan of Trudi Canavan's other work, I just couldn't get into them, for some unknown reason.

Whilst, I love the original series and do love the prequel; her writing style has definately matured. It felt too close to the original; with the reference to healing. It felt to me like Tessia was related to [as in, an ancestor of] Sonea. This might be due to multiple reasons; the similarity of the story structure; the focus on healing, and/or the way the characters are portrayed.

I do agree with the arguement about the ending, how it could have been better, but at the same time I think it was needed to set up the third series. However you could argue, due to Lord Dannyl investigating into the past, which the reader now knows; it would have been fun and interesting to discover it along with him. That said, the new book series is focusing on a different, new aspect which would be difficult to understand if not for the prequel.

I enjoyed it and the series is still my favourite, but it could have been better.

I think a lot of people struggled with 'The Age of Five' series and I don't think anyone has really said openly that she has evolved as a writer since the original trilogy, most people seem to take the view that she set such a high bench-mark she has never been able to match it.

I'm not sure why really... I guess the whole good vs evil thing was done, the whole naughty romance thing was done, an adventure for hidden relics was done... what else can she really do? It's certainly tough for Trudi =(
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Azrael.

• Coreling
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »

I think a lot of people struggled with 'The Age of Five' series and I don't think anyone has really said openly that she has evolved as a writer since the original trilogy, most people seem to take the view that she set such a high bench-mark she has never been able to match it.

I'm not sure why really... I guess the whole good vs evil thing was done, the whole naughty romance thing was done, an adventure for hidden relics was done... what else can she really do? It's certainly tough for Trudi =(

Fair enough, that series just felt very dry to me. No, people probably haven't and the way she tells a story has stayed relatively similar. However, her writing itself has improved, this new second series is very good [doesn't rival the first for me], but it is still very enjoyable. I like how she's continued to explore the world and tried to tie up some of the loose ends still left over.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I for one, never truely believed Akkarin's story about the lone Ichani, or atleast that that was all there was to it...

Yes, the good versus evil thing is done in every book series, however if you really truely think about it, there was no inherent evil force, the Ichani believed what they were doing was right, the only reason we dislike them, is because of how they were painted written. I mean in other book series there's been enslavers whom we like, for all intensive purposes.

And yes, it is very tough, but I like what she's managed to do so far and it is good, sadly it just doesn't outweigh the first series. At least for me and that might be due to my attachment to it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:20:35 PM by Azrael. »

They called me mad.
I called them mad.
Damn them!
They outvoted me!

Offline Overlord

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
Indeed. I think perhaps it is for reasons like this that J.K. Rowling hasn't done another series. If you do a really, really good and popular series - it is so hard to match it... I know there are authors who have done better follow up series, but I think the majority tend to get slated for never reaching the same standards.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Azrael.

• Coreling
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »

I concur. It's a shame, especially when you love the world and the author has done a good job. Being able to explore it, the characters and new aspects of the universe is brilliant, it's like greating a old friend and learning something new about them.

Although on the J.K. Rowling front, I could se her writing a sequel or prequel of some description... Though admittedly alot of the intersting characters had their lives depicted in vignettes or memories or books within the series... Lol.

They called me mad.
I called them mad.
Damn them!
They outvoted me!