February 24, 2020, 02:45:30 PM

Author Topic: 12 Fantasy Novels That Deserve the Game of Thrones Treatment  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Davis Ashura

The crucible of tragedy teaches us the truth of our dharma: we sacrifice all so others need not. It is a weighty burden.

The Sorrows of Hume

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: 12 Fantasy Novels That Deserve the Game of Thrones Treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
The site got some names wrong and chose some really bad books...

Anyway, tv generally ruins great books, so I wouldn't like to see any on the screen ::)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:53:47 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »

Anyway, tv generally ruins great books, so I wouldn't like to see any on the screen ::)

What you mean to say you don't want to see a beautiful woman taking a bath in  a 13 episode wheel of time tv series?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »
It probably would be done in 2 minutes, so that might actually not be that bad.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »
Would love a Prince of Thorns adaptation, but most of what it also made it so good was Jorg's dark and witty internal monologues. I wonder how that would be adapted.

Mistborn has some political intrigue at courts (balls mostly), but it doesn't have the revelations/shocking moments of GoT (but to be honest, anything will have a hard time beating that). The magical system seems to... internal? They would have to adapt people eating and burning the metals inside to something else.

Dresden Files is probably the one with the best chance, in case HBO wants to move from the fantasy/medieval theme. It seems to have plenty of humor and it's a very long series (more than 40 books I think) and it could become some magical X-Files and be milked pretty much forever.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:52:05 PM »
Dresden files was already done as a television series.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »

What you mean to say you don't want to see a beautiful woman taking a bath in  a 13 episode wheel of time tv series?

If it doesn't take up at least 4 hour long episodes I would be disappointed. 

I think Wheel of Time would need severe editing to make it feasible, with entire sub plots cut out.  (I did once see a good article online by a fan of how to do it, but can't find it now - but they made some suggestions of some massive cuts like the sea folk were entirely removed.) 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
I think whatever series was chosen, would need a USP to make it unique from the other well known fantasy properties that have made it either to the small or big screen: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and on a smaller level of popularity: Dresden, The Magicians, Shanara, Legends of the Seeker. 

I actually think Brandonbot's Mistborn might be the way to go. Visually it would be very impressive, everyone would be all over the magical systems (buzzfeed articles, facebook quizzes etc), you could develop the characters and make them a bit more interesting, and the series could be revitalized every 3 or 4 new seasons with a jump in time, and characters.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
Would love a Prince of Thorns adaptation, but most of what it also made it so good was Jorg's dark and witty internal monologues. I wonder how that would be adapted.

Mistborn has some political intrigue at courts (balls mostly), but it doesn't have the revelations/shocking moments of GoT (but to be honest, anything will have a hard time beating that). The magical system seems to... internal? They would have to adapt people eating and burning the metals inside to something else.

Dresden Files is probably the one with the best chance, in case HBO wants to move from the fantasy/medieval theme. It seems to have plenty of humor and it's a very long series (more than 40 books I think) and it could become some magical X-Files and be milked pretty much forever.
Completely agree with this, except for one thing. You wouldn't have to get rid of the metals, just have a different visual indicator whenever they're burning each metal. Maybe they start glowing a different color for each metal or something?

Offline Rostum

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
No Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, which after all was written by a scriptwriter, no Split Worlds which would also adapt really wel and Mists of Avalon and Simarilion included which will both be trashed by any production company who tried to make something from them.

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
I doubt a channel like HBO is going to give someone like Sanderson the time of day. His stuff is PG to PG-13 at best, not what HBO is looking for. Unless it's got plenty of violence and sex (not fade to black stuff), they aren't going to invest money in the story.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
No Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, which after all was written by a scriptwriter, no Split Worlds which would also adapt really wel and Mists of Avalon and Simarilion included which will both be trashed by any production company who tried to make something from them.

Rivers of London is crying out to be made into a TV series, and I would watch the crap out of it. To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

(BBC please so they can get the locations right)

Offline Rostum

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »
I got the Dresden File series on DVD... only watched the first one.

Discworld... been done with a few books, not always successfully.

Left Hand of God... please no. Not now or ever. First book is... OK. After that it is all Eddie the Eagle without the charm!

Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
Left Hand of God... please no. Not now or ever. First book is... OK. After that it is all Eddie the Eagle without the charm!
You're far too nice for this trilogy.
I just tell it like it is: awful writing, completely unreadable after the first one.
I've actually stopped a person from buying it - she was holding it, reading the blurb, and I had to intervene and say the book was awful and direct her to Prince of Thorns, which was right next to it ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!