January 18, 2021, 10:15:52 AM

Author Topic: "The mask of mirrors", M.A. Carrick  (Read 133 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
"The mask of mirrors", M.A. Carrick
« on: January 12, 2021, 02:36:03 PM »
I saw the announcement of the January paperback launch for this book, with the authors being Marie Brennan (from the Lady Trent books) and Alyc Helms.

Has anyone read it, do you think I'll like it?
Or should I just get the City of Brass trilogy for now, since it's finished?

Darkly magical and beautifully imagined, The Mask of Mirrors is the unmissable start to the Rook & Rose trilogy, a rich and dazzling fantasy adventure in which a con artist, a vigilante, and a crime lord must unite to save their city.

Nightmares are creeping through the city of dreams . . .

Renata Virdaux is a con artist who has come to the sparkling city of Nadezra — the city of dreams — with one goal: to trick her way into a noble house and secure her fortune and her sister’s future.

But as she’s drawn into the aristocratic world of House Traementis, she realises her masquerade is just one of many surrounding her. And as corrupted magic begins to weave its way through Nadezra, the poisonous feuds of its aristocrats and the shadowy dangers of its impoverished underbelly become tangled — with Ren at their heart.

"‘Utterly captivating. Carrick spins an exciting web of mystery, magic, and political treachery in a richly drawn and innovative world.’ S. A. Chakraborty, author of The City of Brass

‘Wonderfully immersive–I was unable to put it down.’ Andrea Stewart, author of The Bone Shard Daughter

‘An intricate, compelling dream of a book’ Melissa Caruso, author of The Tethered Mage

‘I was utterly entranced by this glittering world filled with masked vigilantes, cunning conwomen, and dark magic. A sheer delight!’ Katy Rose Pool, author of There Will Come A Darkness
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Peat

Re: "The mask of mirrors", M.A. Carrick
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
I'm sixty odd pages in right now and it's not grabbing me. The prose lacks pop - which I can't believe I'm saying over Brennan - and is over-explainy, and none of the characters seem particularly interesting. So far it's split the people I know.

I'm not particularly going to rec City of Brass either. I read the first and it was... just fine.

I might be overly fussy though.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know.
I'm not lacking in other books to get anyway, hehe

I was a bit put off when I read in another place that it was great "for fans of The golem and the djinni", which I found terribly meh
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »
City of Brass is slow going to start with and i struggled to get through the first part of the book  but it gets better and better as it goes on.

City of Brass 3/5
The Kingdom of Copper 5/5
The Empire of Gold 4/5

Urn I know our tastes are different  but I think Xiagan and Cupiscent liked it too
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:32 PM »
Urn I know our tastes are different  but I think Xiagan and Cupiscent liked it too

I did! It's a bit of a warm-up - I felt it was really starting to get going as the first book finished, and I'm looking forward to more. It was a smidgen too "adventurey" for me to really love, so it's entirely possible Bea will like it even more than I did. :) I don't get the comparison to Golem & Djinni at all. I really enjoyed that book, but it's lit-historical-fic-with-speculative-overtones, and City of Brass is straight-up fantasy. (It IS sort of portal-fantasy, inasmuch as the heroine is carried away from historical Cairo to the magical world, but history has very little bearing on the story in the first book, at least.) The only similarity is that both include djinni as beings of fire.

I've also been looking forward to the Carrick book, but who knows when I'll get around to it...

Online Peat

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »
I would agree with cupiscent and in fact go further - anyone who thinks The Golem & the Djinni and City of Brass are similar should actively not be trusted. One is a slice of life/literary-ish/historical fantasy that's a slow paced evocative stroll through old New York with two very constrained characters. The other is a fairly standard fantasy romp through Arabic/Djinn-based mythology with YA-ish/romance-ish hints (that promised love triangle is not a promise of fun).

Maybe I should check out the rest of the series from what people are saying... but I imagine only if I run out of other stuff.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/