September 18, 2019, 11:29:15 PM

Author Topic: "Similar to X" / "On a par with Y" - on book covers  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Roxxsmom

Re: "Similar to X" / "On a par with Y" - on book covers
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »
One of the strangest comparison comment I've run across is the abbreviated Chicago Sun Times review mentioned on the cover of my mass market paperback copy of A Game of Thrones.

"Reminiscent of TH White's The Once and Future King..."

Makes me wonder if any parents picked it up back then (this was before the TV show) thinking it would be some nice bedtime reading material for their kids. It makes it pretty clear that the reviewer in question only skimmed a few chapters of the book

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »
One of the strangest comparison comment I've run across is the abbreviated Chicago Sun Times review mentioned on the cover of my mass market paperback copy of A Game of Thrones.

"Reminiscent of TH White's The Once and Future King..."

Makes me wonder if any parents picked it up back then (this was before the TV show) thinking it would be some nice bedtime reading material for their kids. It makes it pretty clear that the reviewer in question only skimmed a few chapters of the book
What? I don't...I can't...even... I do sometimes wonder if the reviewers actually read the books and even attempt to understand them.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:05:10 AM »
Slightly off-topic but related to publishers treating their readers as idiots - I don't know if this happens in other countries, but in Portugal, there's a habit of dividing books into more parts than the original versions. For example, A Song of Ice and Fire is divided into 10 books at the moment, each costing between 16-18€. I bought my copies in English, and have advised everyone I know to do the same, because it feels wrong to support publishers who act this way.

I'm starting to worry this is where the English prints are headed also, especially since amazon's lending service encourages it. (Payment is based on percentage read, so the shorter the book, the easier it is for the author to be paid). A lot of self published authors have already headed this way, so we might see a lot more serializations, novellas, etc, at least in e-books.

Offline Roxxsmom

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 03:19:17 AM »
They were doing this for a while back in the 80s and 90s for mass market paperbacks in the US--taking a single very fat book and publishing it as a trilogy. CJ Cherryh's Cyteen comes to mind as an example.

Trilogies were popular back then, but I assume they were doing it both to save binding fees and to milk a little more money (because three short books can be sold for more than a single long one).

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 04:05:25 AM »
One of the author recommendations I liked the most was George R.R Martin's for Leviathan Wakes by James S.A Corey. He said that Corey wrote with the energy of a brash newcomer and the polish of a seasoned pro. It's funny if you know that James S.A Corey is actually the pen name of Ty Franck (the brash newcomer, and he was Martin's assistant before publishing the book) and Daniel Abraham (the seasoned pro, who had two at least two series, one epic fantasy under his own name and a UF one under another pseudonym, out, and had just embarked on another epic). Even if you don't know the joke, it was still a decent recommendation.