October 31, 2020, 06:48:53 AM

Author Topic: NinjaRaptor's Art Thread Redux  (Read 32077 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: NinjaRaptor's Art Thread Redux
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »
I liked the rhino knight. Some steel helmet with spikes on it and there it goes something not afraid to crash head-on on a wall of spears.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »

For obvious reasons, this Egyptian scout would have a most advantageous vantage point for scoping out enemies. Not to mention sniping at them with his bow and arrow.

Unfortunately the dude came out looking kinda small on this concept doodle.

You have a dude riding a giraffe! That looks uncomfortable but awesome. :0
Good point about the discomfort. Maybe he should have a saddle? Those were invented in eastern Asia, I recall, but then this is more fantasy than historical reality obviously.
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 01:05:20 AM »

This scene is supposed to represent eastern Africa as it might have looked in the latest Cretaceous, circa 70-65 million years ago. Given the paleontological record from the African mainland during this time period is relatively sparse at the moment (especially compared to the Early Cretaceous), I must caution that this portrayal is highly speculative on my part. The dinosaurs depicted here are based on taxa from the late Cretaceous of Eurasia, Madagascar, and South America; the latter two landmasses were connected to Africa (as part of a larger subcontinent called Gondwana) before Pangaea had fully broken up.

Dinosaurs depicted are based on:

- Tarbosaurus bataar (tyrannosaurid)
- Austroraptor cabazi (dromaeosaurid)
- Sinoceratops zhucengensis (ceratopsian)
- Majungasaurus crenatissimus (abelisaurid)
- Titanosauria spp. (sauropods)
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:07 PM »

This concept depicts the matriarch of a jungle kingdom who has a Triceratops as her royal steed. You may not be able to see it well unless you look closely, but her funneled hairstyle is patterned after those of the Mangbetu women of Central Africa. As for her shield, it's supposed to have been cut out of ankylosaur hide, hence the osteoderms.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2016, 12:26:30 AM »

This Egyptian priestess serves the god Sutekh (better known as Set) and uses his aardvark's sense of smell to detect malicious witches and sorcerers.

The idea actually comes from various Bantu-speaking societies in southern Africa that have traditionally female "witch-smellers" trained to root out evil-doing magicians (think of their trade as basically professional witch-hunting). However, since malicious sorcery was a widespread fear across the ancient world, it wouldn't surprise me if the Egyptians had their own institution for countering it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:43:15 AM by NinjaRaptor »
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2016, 04:42:27 AM »

In Ethiopian legend, Gudit (or Yodit) was a warrior queen who lived sometime between the 920s and 980s AD. The specifics of her ethnicity and religion are unknown, with some sources saying she was an Ethiopian Jew (or Beta Israel) and others suggesting she was "pagan" (i.e. following an indigenous Ethiopian religion). What is agreed upon is her conquest of the kingdom of Aksum and her infamous burning of Christian churches in that region. On the other hand, once she became Queen, she ruled for 40 years and apparently established positive relations between Ethiopia and Middle Eastern countries like Yemen and Syria. But other than that, not much is known for certain about her biography.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »

Concept of an Egyptian Pharaoh with her bow and arrow atop an African bush elephant. Of course the Queen of the Nile had to get dibs on Africa's largest land animal. The elephant's red coloring draws inspiration from Disney's Tarzan, but real African elephants can sometimes look reddish if they splash red dirt on themselves.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 02:02:37 PM »

Mansa Musa of Mali once recounted a story in which his predecessor Abubakri (or Abu Bakr II) outfitted two sailing expeditions across the Atlantic, even abdicating his throne to lead the second one personally. Abubakri was never heard from again. What if he and his explorers had stumbled into the so-called "Bermuda Triangle" (if it were real) and ended up back in the Late Cretaceous Period? And what if they were to set up a permanent colony in that distant time and place?

For this "pencils" stage I wanted to emphasize the line weights more than usual, since taking advantage of line weight has traditionally been one of my weaker areas in drawing.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:08 PM »
And heeere's the colored version!

Mansa Musa of Mali once recounted a story in which his predecessor Abubakri (or Abu Bakr II) outfitted two sailing expeditions across the Atlantic, even abdicating his throne to lead the second one personally. Abubakri was never heard from again. What if he and his Malian explorers had stumbled into the so-called "Bermuda Triangle" (if it were real) and ended up back in the Late Cretaceous Period? And what if they were to set up a permanent colony in that distant time and place?
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »

An adolescent Tutankhamun (aka "King Tut") swings over a stampeding herd of elephants somewhere in the Egyptian Nile Delta.

(Yes, I know African elephants didn't live in Egypt after the Sahara dried up. But art like this is meant to depict fanciful "what if" scenarios. And besides, I think it's totally cool.)

As for the bandages on Tut's left foot, they're meant to be a cast for the club foot he was apparently born with due to his dynasty's long history of inbreeding.

Apparently the Harry Potter fandom these days maintains that Hermione Granger is of African descent. I don't remember how she was described in the books, and truthfully the whole "racebend established characters from popular franchises" meme has gotten a bit old. But it did inspire me to draw my own character who's a student of voodoo (or more properly Vodun), much as Hermione would have studied European traditions of witchcraft and wizardry. The colors of her dress are based on those of Hermione's uniform in the movies (namely dark blue, red, and gold).
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:58 AM »

This Egyptian soldier is on guard duty at night. The torch will provide her with valuable warmth against the chill of a dry Egyptian night.

I've been playing the newly released game Pharaonic on Steam (think of it as an Egyptian Dark Souls), which opens with a dungeon level at night and pits your character against Egyptian guards. That put me in the mood to draw this.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »

It's true. The coffee plant, though named Coffea arabica, is native to the African continent. The species that makes most of our coffee is believed to have originated in the highlands of Ethiopia specifically before diffusing to the Islamic and Western cultures in that order. Legend has it that an Ethiopian goat-herder was the first to notice the effects of caffeine after his goats consumed the plant's fruit and began engaging in lewd behavior.

I designed this piece of art so that it could be printed on a coffee mug. I want to get back in the habit of making art that I can sell as products. The fortification in the background is based on the castle at Gondar in Ethiopia.

What do you call a dinosaur that makes hip-hop music? A raptor, of course!

This couple has chosen a quiet alley in the streets for their intimacy.

The guy's necklace is supposed to feature the Hammer of Thor from Germanic mythology while the girl's earrings should be recognizable as Egyptian ankhs.

Doodle of a little Egyptian boy with his toy soldiers, looking either mischievous or annoyed with his elders. His facial features and expression are based on a photo of the late child actor Gary Coleman (upper left).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:05:42 PM by NinjaRaptor »
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:44 PM »

"Ladies and gentleman, prepare to be stupefied as we present to you our Stupendous Stegosaurus!"

I don't know about you, but I would pity any stegosaur that had to perform for the circus. The clowns alone would be more abuse than any animal should be subjected to.

Back in the tropical country from whence they came, they would have kept their distance from each other. But now that they've been thrown into the captivity of an inhumane zoo, this woman has formed an unlikely bond with the Stegosaurus with whom she shares a frigid cage.

Apologies for the dour mood of this piece, but it was inspired by the old-time phenomenon of the "human zoo" where humans from across the non-Western world would be displayed in captivity like zoo animals. Sometimes they would even been housed with zoo animals to further emphasize how "uncivilized" or "subhuman" they were. It's a very depressing facet of history to read about and I wanted to capture that in this piece. When you consider that zoo enclosures use to be cold, simple cages, you really wonder how those people felt being imprisoned in there all the time while onlookers sneered at them.

This princess from southern Africa is letting in some morning sunlight to start her day.

I wanted the color palette to have a fairy-tale quality, with lots of pinks and purples like you might find in the girls' aisle at a toy store. However, I feel her ostrich-plumed headgear resembles that of a Vegas showgirl. So...maybe she's a Vegas showgirl playing a princess at some African-themed resort? Vegas sure loves to give their resorts atmosphere after all...

This chick is examining a theropod track impressed into the jungle floor. Could the beast lurk somewhere nearby?

Lately I've considered doing more modern/futuristic characters like these along with my usual tribal and ancient-era themes. I think a fantasy setting with modern or futuristic technology would be a welcome novelty in a genre dominated by pre-modern (especially medieval) tech. Plus, if you throw in some dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures, you'll have a fun juxtaposition of the ancient and modern in your setting.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2016, 06:50:22 PM »

I drew this for a girl I recently met and friended on Instagram. She's liked a lot of my arts on there, but seems fondest of all of the elephant pictures. So I decided to draw her as an Egyptian princess riding her elephant by the Pyramids (she is in fact African-American).

And it so happened that she liked this picture too.

An American mastodon (Mammut americanum) visits a fledging Puritan colony in New England sometime in the 1620s. Because I'm partial to the "what if" scenario of prehistoric megafauna from the Ice Age surviving to later times in American history.

"She who must be obeyed!"

I wanted to channel my inner Frank Frazetta by doodling a seductive Queen with a fearsome feline at her side. Of course, you could say that there's a little bit of a H. Rider Haggard influence here as well, what with the concept of a regal temptress in Africa.

This archer chick is cautiously making her way across a river cataract (rapids). She'd better not stumble, or the current will carry her away to who knows where!

More than anything else, this was an experiment with sketching a different pose from what I usually do.
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2016, 05:05:26 AM »

I wanted to mix the ancient Egyptian and Chinese cultures with this quick portrait. This character is probably an Egyptian maiden who was given over to the Emperor of China as a trophy wife or concubine. And given ancient China's dubious record on women's rights, especially when compared to Egypt's, it's no wonder she looks less than enthusiastic about the arrangement.
Dinosaurs & Dames