September 30, 2020, 12:08:58 AM

Author Topic: Toll the Hounds: Book 1  (Read 4708 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Toll the Hounds: Book 1
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »
Seems as if this will be a book of arrivals and converging of threads. Cutter and Rallick are back in Daru, Barathol, Scillara and Chad meet the Ex-Bridgeburners, Traveller meets Samar Dev and Kallor Clip, Nimander and their Andii.

Until now I was a bit annoyed by Nimander's chapters, but it seems to become interesting, with Kallor there and the annoying Clip out of the way.

Who is this dying god? Surely not the fallen one, or is it?

Seerdomin, Spinnock and all this Redeemer stuff (poor Itkovian...) is interesting too. A new religion/god being born? Or just another miserable and helpless faith?

Who is Spinnock? now that Korlat and all the others are gone/dead he seems to be the second most important Tiste after Anomander in Black Coral. I'm wondering what role Endest Silann and Silanah will play.

And what are Vorcan's plans - and what Spite's?

It`s cool to have Torvald Nom back. :)

And Gruntle, another cool character who has surfaced again.

Do you think Duiker will ever recover from the Chain of Dogs? I'm hoping the best for him and guess he will since he'll be a bit more prominent in this book again.

So we finally met the real Apsal'ara and get another look into Dragnipur.

And what's Humble Measure`s agenda? Surely something with K'rul's old temple...

Does Baruk really fear that Raest will escape the Azath House? Or another tyrant?

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: Toll the Hounds: Book 1
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »
ooh Apsal'ara has entered the story

Rake thinking of going to Assail?

Gruntle commanding the Dead

Rallick Nom woken and had a nice fight with Cutter before realising there were friends  :)

Good to see the retired Bridgeburners again was funny when Scillara and Barathol enter a drinking contest with them and how easy there foiled the assassination attempts

Two new Hounds hmm Light hound?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
Ok, so I found Reaper’s Gale’s relentless grimness to be a challenge and it took me like, 5-6 weeks to get through it? Something ridiculous like that. Much as I ultimately enjoyed the ride it was hard-going at times. Toll The Hounds is a refreshing change of pace. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that so far (I’m actually a bit further – probably halfway through Part 2) this is my favourite opening to a Malazan novel yet. The prologue worried me as it was weird and hard to understand for the most part but the rest has been an utter joy to read.

I loved the opening chapter with Picker, Antsy and Bluepearl being targeted by the assassins. So much fun, and it’s awesome meeting these particular Malazans again. But where the hell has Spindle gone?

So pretty much this one is split into alternate-ish chapters so far. We get Darujhistan and those therein, then alternating that is Black Coral and those travelling on Genabackis. Very fun.

Seeing the Trygalle Trade Guild again is awesome and I think I have a rough idea where it’s going (a good way of getting some of these characters to meet up with those on Lether). I really hope we get a whole sub-plot that shows a Trygalle Trade Guild mission through the Warrens.

Seeing Cutter et al back is great. Is Spite remaining on board the ship because she can feel her sister in the city somewhere? I hope we get a meeting of those two…

I like the idea behind Kruppe’s narration. Not sure I see the point, but it’s a fun inclusion and not too distracting.

Torvald Nom is back! Rallick Nom is back! Holy shit, this honestly just gets better and better.

And Gruntle! GRUNTLE!

On the other side of things we have a very different series of quite sombre storylines. Nimander and his journies with Clip et al I’m actually really enjoying as he’s quite a different POV, plus it’s always great to see more of the Tiste Andii. But I can understand why people might not like him very much. I mean, I don't like Clip but we're not supposed to... (Though having read on his storyline gets EPIC very quickly…) Spinnock Durav and Endest Silann – other than having awesome names – are also very sombre and interesting POVs. Loving that we get so much of a look into the Tiste Andii and Rake. Makes me very excited for Forge of Darkness.

And FINALLY we have 100% confirmation that Traveller is Dassem Ultor. Nothing we didn’t already know, but it was great to finally get that seal of confirmation. A bit annoying that Esslemont didn’t reveal it though – I hope Stonewielder is a better book than Crimson Guard.

Kallor’s back and as horrific as ever. Can’t believe we’re in his head aswell. And that ending with Samar Dev on Karsa’s horse had me cheering. I thought the monster was maybe Kallor, as he was travelling at the same time, but nope! Amazing how Erikson has managed to turn around our perceptions of Karsa Orlong from when we first met him. Witness.

I wonder who else might come back in this one? Kalam perhaps...?  ;)

I just can't think who else. But The Crippled God seems too obvious.

Two new Hounds hmm Light hound?

I've wondered about them at times. Kinda makes sense, but I just don't trust Erikson when he readily *gives* us information like that...

Anyway, I can’t stress enough how much I’ve been enjoying this slightly slower, less epically scaled opening. Definitely feels like the calm before the storm. I know I’ve been slow but hopefully this gets a bit of discussion unlike my mammoth Reaper’s Gale concluding post did…
Make Another World.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
Hi glad you enjoying this novel more

I've  read you Reaper’s Gale concluding post didn't reply as I agreed with everything you said  :) so even if I don't reply know that I've read everyone's posts here

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »
Hi glad you enjoying this novel more

I've  read you Reaper’s Gale concluding post didn't reply as I agreed with everything you said  :) so even if I don't reply know that I've read everyone's posts here

Cool! I'm desperately trying to find time to read TtH - the chapters are huge!
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Ok, so I found Reaper’s Gale’s relentless grimness to be a challenge and it took me like, 5-6 weeks to get through it? Something ridiculous like that. Much as I ultimately enjoyed the ride it was hard-going at times. Toll The Hounds is a refreshing change of pace.
Yep, Toll the Hounds is a much faster read. :)

The prologue worried me as it was weird and hard to understand for the most part but the rest has been an utter joy to read.
Still no idea what it was for. Maybe I should read it again...

I loved the opening chapter with Picker, Antsy and Bluepearl being targeted by the assassins. So much fun, and it’s awesome meeting these particular Malazans again. But where the hell has Spindle gone?
Yeah, it was great. To Spindle: RAFO ;)

Seeing the Trygalle Trade Guild again is awesome and I think I have a rough idea where it’s going (a good way of getting some of these characters to meet up with those on Lether). I really hope we get a whole sub-plot that shows a Trygalle Trade Guild mission through the Warrens.
Minor spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes. ;D

Seeing Cutter et al back is great. Is Spite remaining on board the ship because she can feel her sister in the city somewhere? I hope we get a meeting of those two…
See last point. ;)

Torvald Nom is back! Rallick Nom is back! Holy shit, this honestly just gets better and better.
Absolutely. I was cheering!

And Gruntle! GRUNTLE!
Wait until you see what he does and where he ends!

On the other side of things we have a very different series of quite sombre storylines. Nimander and his journies with Clip et al I’m actually really enjoying as he’s quite a different POV, plus it’s always great to see more of the Tiste Andii. But I can understand why people might not like him very much. I mean, I don't like Clip but we're not supposed to... (Though having read on his storyline gets EPIC very quickly…) Spinnock Durav and Endest Silann – other than having awesome names – are also very sombre and interesting POVs. Loving that we get so much of a look into the Tiste Andii and Rake. Makes me very excited for Forge of Darkness.
I liked Spinnock's storyline much more than Clip's (and Endest's). Nimander and his kin are interesting and learning more about the Andii is as well.
I hope Stonewielder is a better book than Crimson Guard.
It's a different book. And yes, maybe even a better book.
Kallor’s back and as horrific as ever. Can’t believe we’re in his head aswell.
Haha, I was like "WTF, a POV from Kallor?" Kallor's storyline in this books is great and I loved reading about him. Especially in book four. ;)

Amazing how Erikson has managed to turn around our perceptions of Karsa Orlong from when we first met him. Witness.
I hated Karsa in the beginning and now I want to cheer him on whatever he does. :D

I just can't think who else. But The Crippled God seems too obvious.
Don't try to guess...

Hopefully this gets a bit of discussion unlike my mammoth Reaper’s Gale concluding post did…
I just forgot. :)

I'm making a Malazan break atm, so you and Jeni have time to catch up. :)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
Yep, Toll the Hounds is a much faster read

It's weird how so many reviews completely slate this book - so far it's easily one of my favourites. I think maybe if you'd have been waiting for it, maybe it would be a bit disappointing as it's a bit slower and again kinda experimental, but I love it.

Yeah, it was great. To Spindle: RAFO

:o  :D

It's a different book. And yes, maybe even a better book.

I really hope so. Apparently Orb, Scepter, Throne is his best by quite a margin - I think it has a lot of Erikson's characters in it...

I'm making a Malazan break atm, so you and Jeni have time to catch up.

I will do my best! I'm on holiday in a fortnight's time though. I wonder if I can finish up to the end of Stonewielder by the time I go, maybe take the novellas with me...
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
It's weird how so many reviews completely slate this book.
They do? No idea why. I really liked it (besides a few philosophical ramblings that could have been left out...).

I wonder if I can finish up to the end of Stonewielder by the time I go, maybe take the novellas with me...
Sounds like a plan! ;)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »
Loving this one so far.. :D

(Apart from the constant monologuing - lost track of the amount of times I had to re-read whole pages because my mind wandered half way through, only to realise I needn't have bothered!  ::)  :P )

Again, gonna make this quick so I can catch up...

Agree with pretty much everything everyone else has said...

Looking forward to an Envy/Spite re-union....Enemies? Frenemies? Or will they actually get along? - God, I hope not!  ;D

LOVE that we are getting inside Kallor's head. He is so deliciously and contemptably eeeeeeeevil  8) :D

I am a bit concerned for little Harllo  :(

Awww Barathol and Scillara  ;)

Which makes me wonder if Cutter will ever be re-united with his Apsalar...

The scene inside Dragnipur was .... interesting .... introduced us to Apsal'ara, but I guess we will have to wait and see what other significance that has.

The dogwalker scene from the prologue was interesting too...seemed to have been a clandestine meeting between Hood, Shadowthrone and Edgewalker - which isn't surprising....but I wonder who/what the TTGuild were delivering??

I am enjoying the Nimander storyline...now that Clip has lost his soul(?) And Kallor has joined them, this could get very interesting!

Curious to see Mappo's ritual and audience with Burn...I guess I should be hoping that he gets to meet up with Icarium again...but after what has happened to Icarium (especially as we don't know how he has been affected) I am wondering if it would be better for him if he failed in this.  :(

What is Pust up to? Has he ever met Kruppe, that we know of? You know, it wouldn't surprise me if their mules were actually a D'Ivers... :o

Yeah, and I agree that Traveller = Dassem was definitely the worst kept secret ever....I can't believe he waited so long to confirm that either.

So glad to be back with the Bridgeburners...have missed them  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:28:29 AM by Jeni »

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
(Apart from the constant monologuing - lost track of the amount of times I had to re-read whole pages because my mind wandered half way through, only to realise I needn't have bothered!  ::)  :P )
Totally know what you mean. :)

Looking forward to an Envy/Spite re-union....Enemies? Frenemies? Or will they actually get along? - God, I hope not!  ;D
Do you really think two goddesses called Envy and Spite can get along?  ;D

I am a bit concerned for little Harllo  :(
Onlya little?

Which makes me wonder if Cutter will ever be re-united with his Apsalar...
I hope so. But I wouldn't bet money on it.

The scene inside Dragnipur was .... interesting .... introduced us to Apsal'ara, but I guess we will have to wait and see what other significance that has.
And with interesting you mean strange. ;)

I am enjoying the Nimander storyline...now that Clip has lost his soul(?) And Kallor has joined them, this could get very interesting!
yeah, much better now! ;)
I am wondering if it would be better for him if he failed in this.  :(
I hope you don't expect an answer in this book... But yes, will there be a happy reuniting or not?

What is Pust up to? Has he ever met Kruppe, that we know of? You know, it wouldn't surprise me if their mules were actually a D'Ivers... :o
They may be long lost brothers.  ;D (Not the mules, they're probably the mule gods.)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »
Oh my, that 'lovely' feeling of starting a new Malazan book...

- No connection at all to the previous book, but rather events from 3-4 (or more) books ago
- A bunch of new characters, or maybe not new
- The feeling of thinking there must be loads of stuff you're missing/not understanding because you can't remember what happened before in detail - or maybe they're really referring unknown stuff and you just feel like that

;D

(no, I haven't finished book 1, I'm only ~85 pages in)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 08:47:36 AM »
Oh my, that 'lovely' feeling of starting a new Malazan book...

A publisher in Turkey started to translate the series, and the firs 2 books will be available in late 2020 or early 2021. I can't wait to start reading this masterpiece once more :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 05:56:37 PM »
Right, finished book 1 - I never have much to say at first, I'm so incredibly confused :o ::)

* I can't remember who the Tiste Andii with Clip are/did, and how Clip ended up with them
* The story seems to be picking up plot strands from 3-4 books ago: a person like me and my memory doesn't have a chance (I've been reading summaries all over...)
* The name Traveller with a sword called Vengeance rings a bell, but I can't remember from where/what he did --> oh my, he's Dassen Ultor!! Now I remember that was a good assumption
* Who's Kallor, what did he do?
* The return of Rallick Nom from the Azath house, hurrah!
* Love the old Malazans with the bar ;D

Onwards and upwards, things will hopefully start making a bit more sense hehe
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:02:28 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »
You don't remember Kallor? The cursed king who can't die and can't win? The one that killed Whiskeyjack?

One of the most hated characters in the Malazan Universe.

How do you like Kruppe's narration?
Another thing good to know is that Erikson worked through his father's death while writing this book.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 07:55:15 AM »
No, I didn't remember him :-[
And yes, afterwards I was reading about all these characters in the Malazan wiki and I had the same reaction: what, he did that, how come I don't remember??
I don't have an excuse (except that I read those events almost 3 years ago) - I'm hopeless ::)

Kruppe, hmmm - depends on how I'm feeling on the moment hehe. To be honest, I don't mind him so much as the Tiste Andii, all of them being really melancholic and fatalistic: just move on, guys! ;D