November 30, 2020, 02:11:05 AM

Author Topic: The Crippled God: Epilogues  (Read 4657 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
The Crippled God: Epilogues
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
I hate that we still don't know what this one page about Quick Ben in Book One meant.

The part with Korlat and the bridgeburners was great.

And Fiddler playing the fiddle again. :) And as an old man in Malaz City... that was really good too.

I wonder why Gubb wasn't mentioned when all the other's were at Stormy and Gesler's burial.

Crokus and Apsalar: He closed the story with Garden's of the moon. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: The Crippled God: Epilogues
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
Gah! I was really hoping the Errant would get what's coming to him at the end. Alas.

Korlat, the Bridgeburners/Bonehunters and Whiskeyjack was an amazing de-facto ending. Beautiful stuff.

And that actual final end and how it mirrored the opening of GotM! Amazing.

GotM: Epigraph on the Book of the Fallen ('We are history relived and that is all'), Prologue that opened with a description of Mock's Vane, then Ganoes talking to Whiskeyjack (and Fiddler) about wanting to be a soldier.

tCG: Boy talks to an elderly Fiddler about wanting to be a soldier, final paragraph describing Mock's Vane jamming and then the closing epigraph on the Book of the Fallen ('remember us')

Amazing, circular storytelling, written to absolute perfection.

I hate that we still don't know what this one page about Quick Ben in Book One meant.

I'd forgotten about that.

I wonder why Gubb wasn't mentioned when all the other's were at Stormy and Gesler's burial.

I'd forgotten about Grub, but it doesn't really matter - we know he becomes something huge in the future. Maybe we will see him again.

Crokus and Apsalar: He closed the story with Garden's of the moon

So great seeing them again, and there's that circular storytelling: Steven Erikson, I applaud you.

Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
Gah! I was really hoping the Errant would get what's coming to him at the end. Alas.
Maybe we need to read more Esslemont... ;)

Korlat, the Bridgeburners/Bonehunters and Whiskeyjack was an amazing de-facto ending. Beautiful stuff.
Yes. :)

And that actual final end and how it mirrored the opening of GotM! Amazing.

Amazing, circular storytelling, written to absolute perfection.
Erikson really knows what he does. After 4 million words he better should be. ;)

I'd forgotten about that.
Maybe we get answers in Forge of Darkness. If Quick Ben really is Draconus son or somehow related to Mother Dark there may be something in FoD.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
Jaghut Warriors showing respect to the Fallen I'mass wow

"Will I be Beautiful" that doesn't seem believable coming from her or saying her hair must look a mess haha

Fid calling Back Whiskeyjack for Korlat a sweet scene  :)

Fid as as a fisherman talking to the boy and playing at smileys at night another sweet scene

Haha Hood got Roach as a pet like Raest with tufty  :)

Shadowthrone want s to go after the fop on the throne .... There coming for you Mallick Rel!

The book ends up with turnips  and Garden of the Moon starts with turnips  ;)

"The rider paused on the road,glancing down, at the untended turnips growing wild in the ditch

"The fishergirl nodded faintly. As befitted the lowborn, they waited by the roadside, the old woman burdened beneath a rough sack filled with turnips, the girl with a heavy basket balanced on her head. Every minute or so the old woman shifted the sack from one bony shoulder to the other. With the riders crowding them on the road and the ditch behind them a steep drop to broken rocks, she had no place to put down the sack."

Ok where was the tyrant or did I miss it?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:09:15 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »

I would have loved to learn more about that
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »
So, I finished the book about half an hour ago and I'm still in shock.
I always feel a bit wobbly every time I finish a book. More if it's a Malazan. And now that it's the whole Malazan series? Speechless :'(

I didn't take any notes here.
Just wrote "So fitting" and I love how Erikson ended on such soft notes, all about love, all kinds, romantic and friendly and inter-generational.

At first I felt a bit annoyed that there was no "proper ending" for so many characters, most of all Karsa, but in the end it's what this series was all about: a (long) snapshot, shedding light on a (long) part of history - which started before the book 1 began and will continue long after book 10 ends.

(and I'll give a little call to @Idlewilder : I've finished! Loved reading your posts on this!)

Edit: after reading your comments I went and re-read the prologue of Gardens of the moon and wow! Hindsight is a wonderful thing ;D Now I want to re-read all books, knowing the end, see if I find different things - one day, doing a "character reference guide" at the same time, hehe

And by the way, did you notice that in the character list at the end of this book they combined the Snake and the Shake? I was super surprised when I first saw that, wondered if it was a spoiler, only to realise it was a mistake!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 12:08:53 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
And now that it's the whole Malazan series? Speechless :'(
[...]
At first I felt a bit annoyed that there was no "proper ending" for so many characters, most of all Karsa
Now onward to the Esslemont books! ;)

And Erikson is writing a new trilogy called "The god is not willing" with Karsa as the main character. First book will be published next year. :)

Offline isos81

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:23:09 AM »
And now that it's the whole Malazan series? Speechless :'(
[...]
At first I felt a bit annoyed that there was no "proper ending" for so many characters, most of all Karsa
Now onward to the Esslemont books! ;)

And Erikson is writing a new trilogy called "The god is not willing" with Karsa as the main character. First book will be published next year. :)

And, he is also writing Kharkanas Trilogy (2 out, 3rd is on the way)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Erikson#The_Kharkanas_Trilogy
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »
(and I'll give a little call to @Idlewilder : I've finished! Loved reading your posts on this!)

Haha, thanks!  :D I'm just sorry I missed all your posts the last few months - I used to get @s sent to my email but that stopped for some reason. I just read through all the posts from TtH->tCG anyway. Really fun reliving this through you eyes, @ScarletBea - it's absolutely wild to see how little I remember. There's so many things where I'm just like...what the hell even was this. Theories about Jade statues and houses and swords and it's all gone out the window!  ;D

What a series though, nothing I've read since really hits any of the notes that I loved so much about it!
Make Another World.