November 28, 2020, 02:12:46 PM

Author Topic: The Crippled God: Book Six  (Read 4421 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
The Crippled God: Book Six
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
The End is near...

Finally salvation for the bonehunters... It's interesting that Elder magic (Deathsmell's Omtose Phellack) doesn't work but a blood sacrifice to an Elder God does.

Now they should kill Blistig, everything else would be stupid.

Yedan died. :( But the way he wanted to and the Shore is safe again, so it's kinda okay I guess.
A pity Sand became crazy. And a pity that one reasonable Liosan died too.

Who was Korlat's father? I didn't get the references there.

KALAM is back, yay! And what a hillarious scene. I first thought the two riders, mentioned before, were Apsalar and Crokus. Didn't think we see Minala again.
So... where do they ride now? :)
Temper was brilliant as ever. First time SE picks up one of ICE's characters, right?

Did you know/guess that Stonewielder was balancing Caladan Brood? One in the waters, one on the Earth...

What will be Ublala's role in the fights to come? And where did Draconus went? To Korbaras or Kilmandaros? Meeting allies?

The Handmaid is a Seguleh! Would you have guessed that? Makes you wonder if Queen Firehair is somehow related to Lady Envy (Nimander's mother!).

So everbody from the House of Chains except the knight (Karsa) and the king (Kallor) are with the bonehunters.
Queen is easy. Fool and Leper? Leper is the one alive but dead (or similar), could be Hedge or Fiddler.
Fool? Blistig? Who else?
And where is Karsa? The Unbound seemed sure about him being there in the end.

I'm still fascinated that the seven Unbound and the Crippled God in general are now somehow the good guys.

Uh-oh. Tankalian isn't happy about Setoc's arrival. So it is confirmed that he indeed has only selfish motives. A pity. And the worst choice for a Shield Anvil...

Gruntle... :( Why?

Does Mappo have a water sack that never empties? "He drank deep" was said at least three times while he was in the glass desert...

So the flies/shards/butterflies are D'ivers and what's left of the god of the Forkrul Assail. Interesting. I always thought Kilmandaros was the god of the Forkrul.

Ganoes Paran talking to the Forkrul Assail. Epic. :D

What is Hood's plan? Why sailing alone to the Spire?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: The Crippled God: Book Six
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »
It's so close now, the tension is palpable. Giant wave (ha) of relief at the end there, but I'm sure it can only get worse before it gets better.

Now they should kill Blistig, everything else would be stupid.

I thought she was going to use his blood at the end there, and thought maybe that would explain why she had kept him alive. Not sure why she waited so long to use it - they were at there worst for ages.

Yedan died

That final battle was immense - one of Erikson's best. LOVED the scene where Sand is going mad and slowly its revealed that she isn't just imagining Spinnock being there. Brilliant.

Who was Korlat's father? I didn't get the references there.

I think it meant she was a child of rape or something - it would explain Sand's resentment. One maybe for Forge of Darkness to reveal.

Temper was brilliant as ever. First time SE picks up one of ICE's characters, right?

No, Temper and Kiska both turned up in The Bonehunters.

The Handmaid is a Seguleh! Would you have guessed that?

It just didn't cross my mind!  ;D Loved that reveal, I was laughing a lot after that one.

So everbody from the House of Chains except the knight (Karsa) and the king (Kallor) are with the bonehunters.
Queen is easy. Fool and Leper? Leper is the one alive but dead (or similar), could be Hedge or Fiddler.
Fool? Blistig? Who else?
And where is Karsa? The Unbound seemed sure about him being there in the end

I think Skinner is the king. Kallor is the Reaver, if my memory serves me - can't remember where that came up. Tavore must be the Consort. Hedge and Blistig were two of the others, and I think I had Fiddler as the...Cripple maybe? Can't remember the title.

Gruntle...

I didn't really understand his death and didn't enjoy any of his scenes as a big Tiger. Sad he died though - he was a favourite in Memories of Ice.

I always thought Kilmandaros was the god of the Forkrul.

She's their mother I think? A bit like Knuckles is Oponn's father. Really not sure how it all works though.

Rest of your questions I have no idea on, but hopefully all will soon be revealed...
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
Not sure why she waited so long to use it - they were at there worst for ages.
Yep. Maybe something to do with suffering as a prayer to the Crippled God?

That final battle was immense - one of Erikson's best. LOVED the scene where Sand is going mad and slowly its revealed that she isn't just imagining Spinnock being there. Brilliant.
Yeah, kinda sad for Sand, but brilliantly made.

I think it meant she was a child of rape or something - it would explain Sand's resentment. One maybe for Forge of Darkness to reveal.
Could be, but I thought the wording was a tad too specific to mean someone random. Well, I guess you're right with Forge. :)

I think Skinner is the king. Kallor is the Reaver, if my memory serves me - can't remember where that came up. Tavore must be the Consort. Hedge and Blistig were two of the others, and I think I had Fiddler as the...Cripple maybe? Can't remember the title.
I mixed up Queen/Consort, but it essentially means the same. Skinner is the Usurper, and Kallor the "real" king I think. No idea what this means or if it has any consequences.
I think Fiddler is Leper and not Cripple. Again, no idea if this has any meaning.

I didn't really understand his death and didn't enjoy any of his scenes as a big Tiger. Sad he died though - he was a favourite in Memories of Ice.
Exactly this.

I always thought Kilmandaros was the god of the Forkrul.

She's their mother I think? A bit like Knuckles is Oponn's father. Really not sure how it all works though.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. But why have an extra god when your mother is an Elder God?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
Undead Horses haha

Hellian why do i hate spiders what a stupid question I liked how she kept up morale

Ruthan Gudd about Quick Ben no wonder he stayed away from me ? are there brothers or something? did there both give up Godhood bah I'm really confused haha

Kalams back!  :D Quick Ben "Gods Below, Kalam.Because I'm back, that's why"

Liked the background stories of the characters

Pores getting stabbed and Kindly getting upset about it and Deadsmell trying to heal Pores excellent

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Not sure why she waited so long to use it - they were at there worst for ages.
Yep. Maybe something to do with suffering as a prayer to the Crippled God?

I think she needed to sacrifice some men on the march to get the water, if she did it earlier she wouldn't have had as much? I don't know

"When blood is required.When Blood is needed"

"Haven't you drunk enough"
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 03:43:02 AM »
I found reading this book a bit hard, I'm glad things turned in the end.
It was just so sad... everything. The march, the dead, the children...

- They're back! Quick Ben and Kalam!
And Picker and the Darujhistan team!
(so much italics, though, hehe, bit difficult to read)

"Momentous scene, please say something for posterity: Fuck off!" ;D

- The handmaiden is a Seguleh :D :D
I squealed when Felash commented on the mask removal and I understood, hehe - someone in these threads had already kinda guessed, didn't you?

- Strange, I never imagined Setoc as a girl (ie young), rather a grown woman - had it been mentioned before?

- Some things still confuse me: I'm not sure what Kilava was doing. Another gate for the Liosan to enter, like at the Shore?? If not, which dragons entered, why are they bad? Poor Gruntle :(

- The Shake and Darkness won, but at what a price! What an incredible, shattering, price :'(

- Wow, Mael/Bugg's dagger! Water! I assume it only works once and that's why it was left for the very last minute...

Onwards to the last book!!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!