November 30, 2020, 01:53:37 AM

Author Topic: The Crippled God: Book Seven  (Read 5802 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
The Crippled God: Book Seven
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
So... that's it. Kaminsod has left the world and Korbaras is chained again.

Many are dead, but there are more alive than I had feared. I don't think two Epilogues are enough to tell us everything we want to know, but maybe some endings are better left ...unwitnessed. ;)

No Salvation for Mappo... :( But Ublala is a good companion for Icarium, I think. Will he find Icarias and will it finally help him?

How the Perish leaders killed each other was kind of fitting. I would have liked Setoc to find some kind of peace, but maybe that was never possible.

The ease with which Draconus killed Kilmandaros! o_0 I hope one of the Epilogues is about Oponn and Errastas... But maybe knowing that they set out for him is enough.

The bits we saw of Ganoes Paran were absolutely amazing. I wish we had seen more of him.

Remembered again that Lostara knows that Tavore killed Felisin. Knowing would have broken Tavore any time. And how close she came to do the same to her brother! My heart stopped for a moment when she trusted her sword at him.

How comes the Forkrul facing Hood are like kittens? He killed two with an ease and not even Reverence put on much of a fight.

Are Stormy and Gesler truly dead now or was this the step to ascension?

The death of Fener! Hood's balls! And what a thing to make the T'Lan Imass flesh and bone again in this peculiar moment...

I think Onos T'oolan was Erikson's favorite character. Bringing him back to life again and reuniting him with his children and Hetan - never expected something like this in the Book of the Fallen.

Apropos Book of the Fallen - a book written by the Fallen God - Erikson? Was this some kind of breaching of the fourth wall?

Toc's a bridgeburner now. :)

I thought Karsa would hava a bigger role. Well, it was big. Maybe a more active one.

Why did we see Picker and Blend again?

We still don't know if Ruthan Gudd is Grizzin Farl (good guess, btw, Doug!).

Aranict saving Brys, Faint saving Aranict and Amby saving all of them. Loved this.

It was great seeing Humans, Toblakai, Imass, Jaghut and Che'Malle all fight together, leaving ancient enimities behind.

Does Rudd Elalle still have a role to play? I don't get why he was there and why we saw so much of him.

Where is the Throne of Shadow and does it matter now?

Are Silchas Ruin and Tulas Shorn still alive? Are Nimander and the others? (Epilogues I guess.)

I would have liked to see the Kolansii break the Akrast Korvalain spell once. They were close at the barrow, though.

Weren't two huge parts of the Crippled God missing? The one living in the tent in ??? and the one that was the Lady? Or did the Stormriders bring it somewhere? Did the Great Ravens pick it up?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: The Crippled God: Book Seven
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
Well, it’s done and I’m completely wrecked. What a fucking experience. I almost think I could leave it at that but I won’t! I could also leave it at this and be done:

‘Worm says fuck you, Assail!’ – Widdershins (of all people!)

Anyway, jeez what an ending. Of course there’s the epilogues, but I’ll refrain from posting about them here.

Those last two chapters, guys. Seriously. I’m not sure which was my favourite. I think for characters, Ch.24 and The Bonehunters concurrent battles at the Barrow and on the field. But for events, Ch.23 was just crazy. The way he moved from character-to-character, group-to-group in that ENORMOUS battle towards The Spire was incredible. So many amazing scenes, like:

-   Aranict, Brys Beddict, Faint and Amby.
-   The Jaghut, T’lan Imass and K’Chain Che’Malle fighting together to take down the Fork’rul Assail.
-   Spax rushing to help and having to turn back was amazingly written.
-   Anything involving Abrastal.
-   Sinn ‘awakening’.
-   Hood climbing the ice and Bent climbing over him.
-   Fener manifesting and Karsa KILLING HIM, blood raining down and the dead become the living – holy shit.
-   Stormy and Gesler’s last words to each other
-   Two best friends, their dog and the (former) God of Death save the world.

It was truly, truly EPIC and a mind-blowing experience.

Then came Ch.24 where he just stomped all over my already ruined heart:

-   Fiddler and Hedge! Fiddler and Hedge!
-   Mappo died for nothing. So sad.
-   Tavore’s speech to the regulars was rousing.
-   Blistig is still and idiot.
-   Corabb’s death shocked me more than any other I think – I really thought of all he would survive.
-   Tavore’s the hidden talon that Throatslitter mentioned way back in Dust of Dreams (or was it Reaper’s Gale, I forget)
-   When she met Ganoes on the field and wept for Felisin. Did she know the whole time that it was her who killed her sister? Hard to say. Cold iron and all that.
-   The POV of The Crippled God – wow.
-   These concurrent battles were a lot messier and quicker than Ch.23s – very fitting for the Bonehunters.

I don’t have much more to say other than WOW.

Are Stormy and Gesler truly dead now or was this the step to ascension?

Good point. I doubt we'll ever know, though.

I think Onos T'oolan was Erikson's favorite character. Bringing him back to life again and reuniting him with his children and Hetan - never expected something like this in the Book of the Fallen.

I was conflicted on this. It was good that someone got their happy ending, but I thought Hetan being brought back was a bit too easy and undermined the horror of her storyline in Dust of Dreams.

I thought Karsa would hava a bigger role. Well, it was big. Maybe a more active one.

Why did we see Picker and Blend again?

I think Orb, Sceptre, Throne deals with all of them. Be interesting to see how ICE manages Erikson's characters. Supposedly it's his best book along with Assail. Also, after the Kharkanas trilogy Erikson is writing a trilogy all about Karsa, set after the Book of the Fallen. Called The Toblakai trilogy.

Weren't two huge parts of the Crippled God missing?

Probably need to read ICE for more on this.
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »
Huh, I totally missed that you already posted here... Was actually wondering when you would do it. ;)

Those last two chapters, guys. Seriously. I’m not sure which was my favourite. I think for characters, Ch.24 and The Bonehunters concurrent battles at the Barrow and on the field. But for events, Ch.23 was just crazy. The way he moved from character-to-character, group-to-group in that ENORMOUS battle towards The Spire was incredible. So many amazing scenes.
Totally agree. Erikson at his best in the two main disciplines. ;)

Corabb’s death shocked me more than any other I think – I really thought of all he would survive.
Yeah, this was unexpected. But if he had to die, this was a good way.

Tavore’s the hidden talon that Throatslitter mentioned way back in Dust of Dreams (or was it Reaper’s Gale, I forget)
Yep. But I didn't see the relevance.

When she met Ganoes on the field and wept for Felisin. Did she know the whole time that it was her who killed her sister? Hard to say. Cold iron and all that.
I really don't think so. I think this would have shattered her.

I was conflicted on this. It was good that someone got their happy ending, but I thought Hetan being brought back was a bit too easy and undermined the horror of her storyline in Dust of Dreams.
Again, I agree. Hetan was too much, it would have worked the same with just the children.

I think Orb, Sceptre, Throne deals with all of them. Be interesting to see how ICE manages Erikson's characters. Supposedly it's his best book along with Assail. Also, after the Kharkanas trilogy Erikson is writing a trilogy all about Karsa, set after the Book of the Fallen. Called The Toblakai trilogy.
I just read the Dramatis Personae of OST and you're absolutely right.
The Toblakai trilogy sounds awesome. :)

Probably need to read ICE for more on this.
Maybe. We'll see. :) I'm starting OST on Wednesday.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »
Damn Book Seven got a lot of action in it !

I really thought Fiddler was going to die in the series but he survived all the way to the end woohoo!

Shadowthrone game was too free the cripple God by having Cottillion stabbing him and that should free him for his followers I think? When I first read that I needed to re-read the scene it was so shocking the first time for me

Just me but I never got Tavore as this Genius leader, I would have followed Fiddler but not her

The Talking Frog what race is he ?

The Missive read out loud to Brys so funny  :)

Quick Ben and Kalam going behind enemy lines Scene stealer's every time

"Long ago we created a Barghast army to serve us found that Interesting

Krughava,Setoc and Tanakalian all destroying one another ouch 

Amby  cool carrying out Aranict,Brys and Faint like that

Fener Talk  about bad-timing haha, Jaghuts and I'mass fighting side by side wow

Cheering Torrent shooting Olar Ethil

Gesler and Stormy  ; :( wow what an ending for them saving Bent at the end maybe there become gods now like Shadowthrone and Cotillion hopefully

Hood losing his temper  ;D "I have had enough of you Justice"

I didn't Like Hetan coming back like that

The Regulars Saluting the marine scene ...Just awesome

oh no Mappo after all that what a sad ending for him

oh oh Tavore nearly killed another sibling

Nefarias Bredd or someone pretending to be him saving Fiddler and Hedge    ;)

Don't know why but the line "It's Fucking raining Dragons made me laugh

Really glad Hedge stayed behind for Fid  :) :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »

D'ivers or Soletaken maybe?

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »

He never changes to another form, though.
I think it's just a large toad.  ;D

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:50:37 AM »
Could be haha. Though if it is a race, it's a bit odd that we haven't seen anyone else like it yet, especially since Erikson seems to name drop a lot before characters/factions/peoples come into play. Or maybe he and the painter he mocks are the same D'ivers. The logistics of multiple animals but only 1 human isn't discussed that much, would be interesting if one of the parts could be human and the others animals...

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »

He never changes to another form, though.
I think it's just a large toad.  ;D

I never got the impression that he was a Soletaken or D'ivers

If a large toad started talking to me I would run a mile but everybody seemed fine with a talking toad in the Malazan world  like it was no big deal  :)

Surprised no one  in the Malazan world captured the creature and put it in a cage and charge people to see the amazing talking toad
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
(as usual, just writing my notes written as I read - most are just exclamations, forgive me, hehe)

- 2 weapons, Fiddler and Tavore, hurrah (later: how right this was!)

- Quick Ben and Kalam, supper! And the sappers!

- It's so strange. I said before it was hard to take pity on the Crippled God (just CG from now on) after so long thinking him evil, but was he really, or was that a stereotype just in my mind due to certain descriptions? Did Erikson really write him evil at first?

- Gosh, in 5 minutes the Perish were all killed/the 3 main ones!

- Brys, Aranict, Faint and Amby Bole, all to bring them back, wow!

- Wow, Karsa killing Fener in Darujhistan and that being visible in the sky above Kolanse!

- Torrent killing Olar Ethil with the arrows Kruppe gave him! I never really understood the point of her, to be honest...

- So, splitting the armies was supposed to help: Forkrul Assail (just FA from now on) would see Bonehunters and fight them, while the others would go round and attacked the Spire. Yet all we see are the others attacking Spire against all FA, with no Bonehunters in sight... --> of course, afterwards as I continued reading I understood what was happening, releasing the heart was just step 1, but at the time I didn't get it...

- Never realised Sinn was so crazy :o

- Gesler and Stormy dying :'(

- The salutes! :D :'(

- Telorast and Curdle Ancients???

- Wow, Tavore knowing all these details about normal soldiers? No wonder they all followed her, she just feels so close...

- Gall was amazing, total redemption, killing the FA after ripping off his intestines that were hangng out...

- Ganoes took his time!!! Argh! But a whole army through a gate, wow!

- Ben and Kalam took their time!!! Argh! ( ;D)

- Heboric! Wow!!!

- Argh, I don't get it :'( Cotillion killed the CG? Was that to release him? Was that supposed to happen all along? Was that good? --> since nothing was ever mentioned, I assume so... ???

- Icarium still free, maybe remembering? What an ending!!!!

I think I read the last 50 pages covering the pages with my hands to avoid jumping and reading super quickly, it was SO intense!!!

And I simply LOVE this that the CG said:
"I never hid my hurts.
I never disguised my dreams.
And I never lost my way.
And only the fallen can rise again."

... I'll now go write the rest on the Epilogues thread.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:11:34 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
I think I read the last 50 pages covering the pages with my hands to avoid jumping and reading super quickly, it was SO intense!!!
I know what you mean!

Offline isos81

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
I know what you mean!

Yes, same here.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'