November 25, 2020, 08:28:12 AM

Author Topic: The Crippled God: Book Four  (Read 4118 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
The Crippled God: Book Four
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »
Last things first. What is Gesler going to do about Krughava riding in the Glass desert?

So the last of the Trygalle finally made it to the Letherii camp. Interesting what Aranict sees about the Amby Bole.

Spax is a cool character, I think I like him more and more.

So Hood is King of the Ice Hold (again?). Does he has any bindings to High House Death left?

Pores seems to becoe more crucial than I thought. The scene with his missive to Kindly and his heavy scribe was great.
It's fascinating how SE manages to smuggle some finely doesed humour in from time to time.

What is that scene with Tavore and her fists telling us? The one that convined Ruthan Gudd to stay?

Can't remember more atm. Those books are really short.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: The Crippled God: Book Four
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
Spax is a cool character, I think I like him more and more.

Loving Spax, which is surprising considering he's a Barghast. Really great character.

So Hood is King of the Ice Hold (again?). Does he has any bindings to High House Death left?

Wasn't he always King of the Ice Hold, just literally frozen solid on his throne? I think the Ice Hold is like the Elder Hold which spawned his warren? Just something went wrong in Lether due to Gothos that held up the warren of death for thousands of years. I dunno for sure.

Amazing to think he is IN the series now, when for the first 7 books he was this spectral entity, and at a certain point no more than just a curse word!

Pores seems to becoe more crucial than I thought. The scene with his missive to Kindly and his heavy scribe was great.

I love Pores and Kindly. I wasn't so enamoured with them until DoD but I think of a reread I'll enjoy them a lot more.

I hate Blistig, though. What a cock.

What is that scene with Tavore and her fists telling us? The one that convined Ruthan Gudd to stay?

No idea. At this point I'm just waiting for Tavore to...well, make sense! She's as bad as bloody Shadowthrone!
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
Wasn't he always King of the Ice Hold, just literally frozen solid on his throne? I think the Ice Hold is like the Elder Hold which spawned his warren? Just something went wrong in Lether due to Gothos that held up the warren of death for thousands of years. I dunno for sure.
Hood is some damn powerful Jaghut. And to think that Gothos was able to freeze death's warren for so long...
No wonder nothing was more feared than a Jaghut going Tyrant...

Amazing to think he is IN the series now, when for the first 7 books he was this spectral entity, and at a certain point no more than just a curse word!
Yeah, that's a great thing to remember for your own writing. :) If you can pull it off. ;)

I love Pores and Kindly. I wasn't so enamoured with them until DoD but I think of a reread I'll enjoy them a lot more.
Absolutely. I first read Pores as Kindly's meek right hand without a backbone. I guess I missed a lot of subtle stuff about him in the first books.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »

I hate Blistig, though. What a cock.

The letter to Kindly from Pores was great Yours affectionately Pores  :) There seem to get better and better with each novel.

Why has no one done anything about Blistig? see this is why I don't get Tavore and  Laseen earlier in the series there seem a bit dim at times. 

The Scene with Hellian being sober and her squad of Saltlick and Urb were enjoyable to read corporal Clasp asking to be in the Elite Insider haha
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »
- I'm finding some dissonance/conflict in seeing the Crippled God as suffering and worthy of compassion here, versus how he was shown in the other books, as a vengeful and evil sort (for example with Ruhlan).
Or is this (in both cases) just how we make assumptions based on what's happening around him?

- The little snippets of conversation between the different groups in the army, while marching in the desert, each one picking up where the last one ended, were a writing masterpiece! The characterisation of each person, by words, thoughts, reactions, is superb!

- "Book of the Fallen"!!!! I always assumed that the name of this series was 'fallen' as in failed or lost a war or something, something ancient! It's actually "... of the Fallen God"!! :o

- The Tiste Liosan do hold a grudge! Waiting to kill them/children of Dark for how many millenia??

- Krughava going to the Adjunt! Will it work?

- The (remnants of the) Guild finally founding the Letherii army! Cool to the see the different languages, I hope they manage to help each other...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 06:59:42 PM »
I don’t remember any of this , I don’t even remember the stuff I posted wow 6 years ago haha.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate