February 24, 2020, 05:35:22 PM

Author Topic: The Bonehunters: book 3  (Read 3306 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
The Bonehunters: book 3
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »
RIP Dujek Onearm. A pity you died this kind of death...

Seems as if Adjunct Paran and High Fist Paran won't meet anytime soon. Ganoes is unknowingly on his way to Felisin Younger - I wonder if that's a common name or if he will be able to put it together.

Felisin adopting a boy and naming him Crokus. And so the circle closes and starts anew...

Karsa vs Rulad - now that's something I'm looking forward too.

Grub's knowledge of the future is uncanny. I wonder where he has it from.

Dunsparrow is Whiskeyjack's sister?!? What are her plans? And Hood meddled with Whiskeyjack's knee injury so he never got it healed. I'm not sure that was wise, since it gave victory to an agent of the Crippled God and he doesn't even get WJ's soul because he's ascended.

Apropos: the Iron Prophet named Iskar Jarak, a Mezla with a buring bridge... who might that be? Whiskar Jarack? ;)

WTF is up with Pearl? Boy, will he be surprised when he sees that Lostara is still alive.

Bottle knows more about the puppet sorcery than Quick Ben? Wow.
Apsalar using Cotillion's power to thwart Shadowthrones plans for Quick Ben's death - doesn't happen often that Shadow is bested.  ;D

Curdle and Telorast are Eleint! Uh-oh... Who is Edgewalker then? An Elder God probably. But which one?

Paran is incredible. I'm so glad he found his confidence and accepted his role. Forcing his will upon Soliel and killing Poliel was amazing. And with her last words, Erikson managed to make me feel bad for her. That's incredible too.

So the T'rolbarahl is completely annihilated now? That was a short interplay, but good riddance.

I liked L'oric better in House of Chains. Back then he wasn't the pompous bastard he's now... Made me laugh when Greyfrog said something about L'oric's parents.

So Heboric's corpse now has massive Jade hands. If they bring him to the Jade Pillar... what will happen?
Glad, that Cutter's still alive, btw.

And Ganath was killed by the short tails. Do the K'chain Che'Malle now move in the open?

Interesting philosophy Spite relates Mappo.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: The Bonehunters: book 3
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
Got nothing to add much here really Xiagan said it all for me mostly  :)

We get to see a bit of Quick Bens Childhood  :) and his sister

I'm not sure if Heboric will stay dead wouldn't surprise me if he came back alive in contact with the Jade statue

Also  I really want to see the fight between Karsa and Rulad as well, be a fight to remember

I really love reading about Bottle mind you I love reading about  all the Bridgeburners as well  :)  and the gods and the ...

Dujek Onearm  :'(

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:59:24 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
So the T'rolbarahl is completely annihilated now? That was a short interplay, but good riddance.

This is the only thing I was slightly disappoint by in the novel I didn't fear that any character it faced in the story was in danger especially as it was built up to be an unstoppable killing machine I don't think it killed anyone did it?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Jeni

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
Greyfrog regenerated!! ;D 8) ;D
Sad that he's gone off with L'oric, so no idea when/if we'll see him again...but he's alive! Yay!   :D

This is the only thing I was slightly disappoint by in the novel I didn't fear that any character it faced in the story was in danger especially as it was built up to be an unstoppable killing machine I don't think it killed anyone did it?

No-one that we know about at any rate....I don't get why, after killing three of the D'Ivers, the hounds decided to capture the remaining one, only to spit it out in Poliels temple to (presumably) die with her!?  ???

...can you actually kill a God/Ascendant?

We get to see a bit of Quick Bens Childhood  :) and his sister

That was amusing...didn't expect her to be the one that Apsalar was after - we've only heard about her in passing up to now - but I suppose that might be about to change...any guesses who the lovely, sweet wolf she saw while unconscious is? - one of the Wolves of Winter, maybe?

Felisin adopting a boy and naming him Crokus. And so the circle closes and starts anew...

Can't remember what Crokus' name meant and I can't find the bit where we were told, so I'm not sure what the significance of the name is....and I don't think Felisin has any intention of being any kind of parent to this boy... ;) :o

Interesting philosophy Spite relates Mappo.

And only slightly less of a yawnfest to read than the Trell/Nemil battle. Jeez that was tedious...and seemongly pointless...even if Mappo is about to get dumped into a field full of wrathful Nemil warriors all looking for some kind of ancient tribal reparation, it still doesn't explain why we needed to know about that. Definitley the most tedious passage of the series so far.

Also  I really want to see the fight between Karsa and Rulad as well, be a fight to remember
Karsa vs Rulad - now that's something I'm looking forward too.

If it happens....they are both agents of the Crippled God...will he want to sacrifice either of them?

Grub's knowledge of the future is uncanny. I wonder where he has it from.

We have no idea who he is...just that Duiker found him wandering on the road into Aren and picked him up (DG - I got all choked up when he did that  :'( , then passed him on to Keneb to find his parents, and he's been with Keneb ever since. But he is destined for great things, apparently...I think in one of those passages/excerpts at the beginning of each book + chapter said that he would become First Sword? (Currently a vacant position since Dassem Ultor 'died'.)
His predictions about the journey were quite specific but won't make much sense to us yet, I think...
Sepik will be bad
Nemil will be good
Then bad
After that, find friends, twice ...That could be just about anyone!
Then, end up where it all started, which will be very bad ...Morn?
Then she realises enough of everything to be enough ...She?
And the big man with the cut hands says yes ...No shortage of 'big men' but cut hands?- cut off? or scarred/wounded? Still a number of options
And Grub found a bone whistle and is keeping it for the big man who'll want it back. ...There have been a few people with bone whistles - Kalam had one to summon the demon in HoC and there was one that Gesler? had to start the crew rowing on the Silana 

I'm looking forward to getting to know Barathol a bit better..and hoping that Cutter cheers up a bit now that he has a more sane companion. Not sure if Scillara will get her way with Cutter, but even if she does I doubt it will last - he is still in love with Apsalar. Interesting that he was pulled in as an observer to Leoman's escape...wonder why that was?

Not really sure what to make of Dunsparrow yet...so far she's pretty nondescript and it's too early to say where her loyalties lie and if she is being played, has an agenda or has just got caught up in everything by accident? (Yeah, I don't really buy that last one either, but I have to at least acknowledge the possibility :P)

Apropos: the Iron Prophet named Iskar Jarak, a Mezla with a buring bridge... who might that be? Whiskar Jarack? ;)

Yeah...I think that is Whiskeyjack too  :D

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »
...can you actually kill a God/Ascendant?
Yes. See Trake. But they may be reborn. See Trake. ;)
And remember the guardian of the lost gods names in MT? Gods can become inactive/insignificant but may become active again.

And only slightly less of a yawnfest to read than the Trell/Nemil battle. Jeez that was tedious...and seemongly pointless...even if Mappo is about to get dumped into a field full of wrathful Nemil warriors all looking for some kind of ancient tribal reparation, it still doesn't explain why we needed to know about that. Definitley the most tedious passage of the series so far.
No idea... Didn't found it tedious, though.

If it happens....they are both agents of the Crippled God...will he want to sacrifice either of them?
So far the Crippled God hasn't shown to be the most reasonal or rational being... And Karsa... Karsa does what Karsa want! Karsa smash!

I think in one of those passages/excerpts at the beginning of each book + chapter said that he would become First Sword?
Yep, that's all we know.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
I actually got caught up on this a few days ago but haven't had time to really start Book 4 yet. Not really got anything to add. This part was a lot of fallout and setting things in motion, which is fair enough in a series like this. Real shame about Dujek, I would have liked a final scene with him. I suppose we could still get one, you never know with this series!

I liked L'oric better in House of Chains. Back then he wasn't the pompous bastard he's now...

I didn't actually find him very pompous, plus we know him from his POV in HoC. I think he was just displayed that way through Barathol's POV.

Yes! I completely agree with you, Jeni. This was so tedious. Pages and pages of description of an ancient battle between peoples we've never met, with no dialogue to break it up and seemingly no reason for any of it being there. I definitely could have done without it. I've always found Mappo's POV a bit dull as he has this tendency to think on everything over and over. This was too much though. He needs Icarium.
Make Another World.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
Ooooh I just finished book 3, but I'm at work and don't have my notes with me - I'll write the rest later.

Karsa to join the Tiste Edur to go fight their Emperor? Who/where is this emperor? --> edit: you all seem to know/remember this, please help me!

And yay for explaining what 'Bonehunters' mean, and them finally getting to the rest of the army!

Ganoes Paran is now High Fist, hehe: I think he'll treat the army as his personal guard or something, just dragging them along to wherever he needs to go!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:45:49 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Bender

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »
Karsa to join the Tiste Edur to go fight their Emperor? Who/where is this emperor? --> edit: you all seem to know/remember this, please help me!

It's in the previous book Midnight Tides.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Warlock King was leader of Edur. He sends Sengar family to obtain a spear. Rhulad Sengar picks up the spear and finds himself immortal. He dies but always comes back. He takes over leadership and is new emperor. He gathers warriors from around to world to see if anyone can kill him. And Karsa gets dragooned into that.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »
Thanks, I remember now :D

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 08:02:06 AM »
Now all I wrote:

They got Felisin who they now call Sha'ik: are they mistaking her for the real Felisin, or is it a case of "next one in line for the throne"?
Following the end of book 2, so happy that Cutter and Scillara are alive, they had to be - but it seems Heboric is really gone...
Great statement on motherhood, with the 2 conflicting positions.

Cottilion explaining the objective was the clearesr I've ever seen these books, hehehe

Yay strong, confident, master Paran :D

Dunsparrow is Whikeyjack's sister!! Consecrated to Hood!

The 2 spirits are/were dragons!!

Yay for Mason Gilani killing one of the Dejin Nebrahl, and wounding another! Who needs the Deragoth?

Wow Quick Ben's childhood! He was a sadist little boy :o :o And wow Bottle and him clashing... Bottle is so understated but he knows LOTS, hurrah! Is he related to an Elder God? Working through him unknown to himself?

The whole Poliel standoff, how many threads all coming together finally! Go Paran!
Poor Dujek, but yay for him being now High Fist, hehe: I think he'll treat the army as his personal guard or something, just dragging them along to wherever he needs to go!

--> More than a book/series with a plot, I see these books as a life, a world. You don't read them to be told a story, you're completely immersed in this new world, with ups and downs, active and passive things, just becoming part of your daily life. There's no 'beginning' and no 'end'.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:05:13 AM by ScarletBea »