April 22, 2019, 06:03:41 AM

Author Topic: Misc. thread  (Read 62829 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Misc. thread
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
Thanks @Idlewilder!
I read book 1 in 2017, books 2 and 3 in 2018, and I plan to read books 4, 5 and 6 in 2019 :D
I love reading the comments (after reading each book) because they either explain stuff I didn't get or highlight similar things :)

And one thing I've been meaning to share, and I'm not sure if it's just me.
Before starting reading Malazan, the impression I got from people talking about it was of a secret cult, almost. These books which are really special and epic and complex.
I wasn't sure if I was going to like them, and I was afraid that they'd require a lot of investment (in time but also in emotion).

After having read 3.75 books, and being hooked on them since the first few pages, I can confirm all my previous thoughts, but with no regrets whatsoever.
Yes, they are epic and complex and difficult, but oh so rewarding!
My only qualm is that my memory isn't very good, so I feel that if I met you guys and wanted to talk about the books, there would be a ton of stuff I've already forgotten :-\

They seriously cut my statistics, hehe, but I don't care. I look up and notice I've read for 45 minutes and I'm so tired and it doesn't feel I've moved along much, but a couple more days and loads of things have happened...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:58:19 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
Before starting reading Malazan, the impression I got from people talking about it was of a secret cult, almost. These books which are really special and epic and complex.

Exactly this. Here on the forum, I think Malazan fans are fairly tame. People like Malazan, some more than others, but that's it. If you look elsewhere on the internet there's definitely a cult-like vibe. The more rabid Malazan fandom is one of the reasons I've stepped away from Facebook book groups. It's almost funny how people recommend Malazan for any request. (I've even seen people asking for YA recommendations and getting shouts of 'Malazan!'

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »

Exactly this. Here on the forum, I think Malazan fans are fairly tame. People like Malazan, some more than others, but that's it. If you look elsewhere on the internet there's definitely a cult-like vibe. The more rabid Malazan fandom is one of the reasons I've stepped away from Facebook book groups. It's almost funny how people recommend Malazan for any request. (I've even seen people asking for YA recommendations and getting shouts of 'Malazan!'

Definitely true. And on the other side I think there's as much of a backlash that comes from people who tried them and didn't like them. If you go on the r/Fantasy subreddit so many threads become a mix of rabid Malazan fans and rabid anti-Malazan readers. It's nuts.

My only qualm is that my memory isn't very good, so I feel that if I met you guys and wanted to talk about the books, there would be a ton of stuff I've already forgotten :-\

I've legitimately forgotten so much. Whenever I come back here and see your posts I have a quick look through the older posts, including my own and don't remember half of what we were talking about. I do really want to reread them aswell, but I don't even have time to read books that are new to me these days!
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
Definitely true. And on the other side I think there's as much of a backlash that comes from people who tried them and didn't like them. If you go on the r/Fantasy subreddit so many threads become a mix of rabid Malazan fans and rabid anti-Malazan readers. It's nuts.
TAIAM: The answer is always Maalzan. The books are so diverse that no matter what someone wants recommended, Malazan will have it. Well, maybe not YA... ;)

I've legitimately forgotten so much. Whenever I come back here and see your posts I have a quick look through the older posts, including my own and don't remember half of what we were talking about. I do really want to reread them aswell, but I don't even have time to read books that are new to me these days!
True, true, true.
I did reread GotM last year and it was very entertaining, but I don't think I'll manage the rest anytime soon.

And no, I can't believe it's already 5 years!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
Glad to see @ScarletBea still reading and enjoying posting on these threads. I loved doing this read-along and think it added immensely to my enjoyment of this incredible series. Can you believe it's 5 years since we did it @xiagan @Jeni @Eclipse ?

I had a lot of fun reading this with everyone ... still have a few more books to go until I finish - but they are on my to-read list for this year. Over the next few months I will be sneaking into the forum to re-read everyone's posts so that I can refresh my memory before continuing.  :D

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2019, 06:44:12 PM »
Don't sneak! Play trumpets and make yourself known. :D
Welcome back, hope everything's good on your side of the screen. ;)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2019, 02:02:58 AM »
Don't sneak! Play trumpets and make yourself known. :D
Welcome back, hope everything's good on your side of the screen. ;)

Hahaha! Thanks ... its getting there  :)

Now I've finished a course I was on for work (took almost three years in the end) I should have a lot more free time so I should be around more often  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
So last night I picked up Midnight Tides to start reading.
I was wondering: are we going to get back to the DG characters? where is the story going now, will he combine them all?

>:(
We go back I don't know how many thousands of years and it's a whole new location and characters, argh!

So I just read a couple of pages, after the maps and reading the characters' list, and went to sleep, I'll pick it up properly tonight ::)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
So last night I picked up Midnight Tides to start reading.
I was wondering: are we going to get back to the DG characters? where is the story going now, will he combine them all?

>:(
We go back I don't know how many thousands of years and it's a whole new location and characters, argh!

So I just read a couple of pages, after the maps and reading the characters' list, and went to sleep, I'll pick it up properly tonight ::)
Welcome (again) to Malazan. :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
Does anyone have Midnight Tides on ebook?
I'd love to post the Crippled God's speech on war/peace from chapter 9 in the politics thread, as I found it super appropriate to the current situation, either in the UK or US, but it's too long for me to copy it all by hand...

And talk about a change :o Chapter 9 made me fall in love with this book, it was being a bit difficult so far!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
Does anyone have Midnight Tides on ebook?
I'd love to post the Crippled God's speech on war/peace from chapter 9 in the politics thread, as I found it super appropriate to the current situation, either in the UK or US, but it's too long for me to copy it all by hand...

And talk about a change :o Chapter 9 made me fall in love with this book, it was being a bit difficult so far!

‘Peace. Warm yourself, warrior, while I tell you of peace. History is unerring, and even the least observant mortal can be made to understand, through innumerable repetition. Do you see peace as little more than the absence of war? Perhaps, on a surface level, it is just that. But let me describe the characteristics of peace, my young friend. A pervasive dulling of the senses, a decadence afflicting the culture, evinced by a growing obsession with low entertainment. The virtues of extremity – honour, loyalty, sacrifice – are lifted high as shoddy icons, currency for the cheapest of labours. The longer peace lasts, the more those words are used, and the weaker they become. Sentimentality pervades daily life. All becomes a mockery of itself, and the spirit grows … restless.

‘Is this a singular pessimism? Allow me to continue with a description of what follows a period of peace. Old warriors sit in taverns, telling tales of vigorous youth, their pasts when all things were simpler, clearer cut. They are not blind to the decay all around them, are not immune to the loss of respect for themselves, for all that they gave for their king, their land, their fellow citizens.

‘The young must not be abandoned to forgetfulness. There are always enemies beyond the borders, and if none exist in truth, then one must be fashioned. Old crimes dug out of the indifferent earth. Slights and open insults, or the rumours thereof. A suddenly perceived threat where none existed before. The reasons matter not – what matters is that war is fashioned from peace, and once the journey is begun, an irresistible momentum is born.

‘The old warriors are satisfied. The young are on fire with zeal. The king fears yet is relieved of domestic pressures. The army draws its oil and whetstone. Forges blast with molten iron, the anvils ring like temple bells. Grain-sellers and armourers and clothiers and horse-sellers and countless other suppliers smile with the pleasure of impending wealth. A new energy has gripped the kingdom, and those few voices raised in objection are quickly silenced. Charges of treason and summary execution soon persuade the doubters.

‘Peace, my young warrior, is born of relief, endured in exhaustion, and dies with false remembrance. False? Ah, perhaps I am too cynical. Too old, witness to far too much. Do honour, loyalty and sacrifice truly exist? Are such virtues born only from extremity? What transforms them into empty words, words devalued by their overuse? What are the rules of the economy of the spirit, that civilization repeatedly twists and mocks?’

Erikson, Steven. Midnight Tides: 5 (The Malazan Book Of The Fallen) (pp. 328-329). Transworld. Kindle Edition.
Make Another World.