October 17, 2019, 04:41:54 PM

Author Topic: Midnight Tides: Book four  (Read 8418 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Midnight Tides: Book four
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
I don't know where to start...what a novel :)

I don't think Errant is Oponn he seems less chaotic then the twins

Gerun What a nasty bastard he is

The Hold of the Dead is now manifesting at the dead Azuth

The Prince and Queen used in a diabolic ritual

Forkrul Assail  hides within Kettle

We get an explanation of the warrens at last by a mage who uses the Mockra warren  manipulating peoples mind (cool magic) and tells Seren she has talent in this area , Did Seren uses this to get Trull and Fear to come to her?

Trull and Lilac will Lilac come back do you think?

Serenity .......oh oh and now the Kenryll'ah tryants on it's trail

Kuru Qan Killed by Trull to save the Edur race from destruction...

The Sorcery battle of Letheri that was shocking everything just gone completely

Trull disarming Canarth in the dual with ease

The Artist Bugg meets anything to that scene do you think?

Iron Bars Fighting the God of the soletaken J'heck as an appetiser  then fighting the five gods of Seregahl for mains with a wannabe vampire in the way  :) gnawling on  one of the gods calf

Poor Chalas,Mayan and Hull very sad  :(

Kuru Qun and Bugg plotting to trap the demon using the Jaghuts witches favour (Bugg: Good things come of being nice to a Jaghut, something the T'lan Imass never understands)

Kettles friend is Silchas Ruin!

Bugg sees Tehol thinks his dead and roars killing all the Edur in his sight Bugg is ***** Mael Tehol asks one question later ....manservant?

Rhulad gets Killed by the Guardian after what Brys went through  :o

The nearly forgotten names live on in Tehol and Brys becomes a Guardian

Feather witch finds a finger whose is it?

Ruin is now travelling with Fear .....along with Udinaas and the mysterious shadow ally he has with him

The Nachets keep building a nest then destroying it until Withal gets the message you think that the Nachts are the dim ones not Withal but it was the other way round  all along brilliant

Best novel for me so far out of the series  :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:35:34 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Dessembrae

Re: Midnight Tides: Book four
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
 It was Brys Beddicts finger. You must have missed it.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
AW: Re: Midnight Tides: Book four
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »
It was Brys Beddicts finger. You must have missed it.
yep, wanted to point that out too.

And I knew for a long while that Silchas Ruin was kettles friend. Seemed obvious.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »
I've just reread the scene don't know how I missed that  :) what's great with read alongs with fellow readers you can point out things to each other what you may have missed first time around, thank you

The Queen and Prince scene is sticking in my head

Question:How much can Gods interfere with the world?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
AW: Re: Midnight Tides: Book four
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »
I've just reread the scene don't know how I missed that  :) what's great with read alongs with fellow readers you can point out things to each other what you may have missed first time around, thank you

The Queen and Prince scene is sticking in my head

Question:How much can Gods interfere with the world?
quite a bit. Depends on what there speciality is. Problem is that it gets noticed by other gods if it's too big - Bugg's/Marl's scream was heard all over the world.

I think Errant nudged Trull and Fear to Seren's door.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
I don't know where to start...what a novel :)
Yep. :)

I don't think Errant is Oponn he seems less chaotic then the twins
Yeah, same aspect, though.

Gerun What a nasty bastard he is
Was it Ublala who took him? Where did he find the time for it?

We get an explanation of the warrens at last by a mage who uses the Mockra warren  manipulating peoples mind (cool magic) and tells Seren she has talent in this area , Did Seren uses this to get Trull and Fear to come to her?
Did we hear of Mockra before? Can't remember. Pretty cool, though.

Trull and Lilac will Lilac come back do you think?
Dunno. Probably not in the next million words. ;D

Serenity .......oh oh and now the Kenryll'ah tryants on it's trail
Poor Kenryll'ah is all I say. The Forkrul Assail are pretty badass. Remember the one Karsa freed and how easy it

Kuru Qan Killed by Trull to save the Edur race from destruction...
Yeah, that was sad - even though understandable.

Iron Bars Fighting the God of the soletaken J'heck as an appetiser  then fighting the five gods of Seregahl for mains with a wannabe vampire in the way  :) gnawling on  one of the gods calf
Iron Bars is incredible.

Kuru Qun and Bugg plotting to trap the demon using the Jaghuts witches favour (Bugg: Good things come of being nice to a Jaghut, something the T'lan Imass never understands)
Read the prologue again. ;)

Bugg sees Tehol thinks his dead and roars killing all the Edur in his sight Bugg is ***** Mael Tehol asks one question later ....manservant?
I like their relationship even more now. :)
I'm just wondering about this asshole priest Mallick Rel from Deadhouse gates, who was/is a priest of Mael. He's the reason I thought Mael was a kind of evil god until now...

Rhulad gets Killed by the Guardian after what Brys went through  :o
Oh, the irony. And it was bitter to see Brys poison himself unknowingly. That was excellent drama.

Ruin is now travelling with Fear .....along with Udinaas and the mysterious shadow ally he has with him
And with Seren. I wonder how it all would have turned out if she had accepted Trull's sword as it was meant... And if they will get another chance someday...
I can't wait to read about Fear finding out about Silchas Ruin the "betrayer"...

Really liked the part where Fear just left and how he admits that he has only been so strong because Trull voiced his fears.

Is Udinaas now soletaken or has the Wyval left?

And when will Sheltatha Lore (Daughter Dusk) come free and what will happen then? Will she follow Silchas Ruin?

And what about Udinaas son Rud Elalle?

Offline Idlewilder

Midnight Tides: Book four
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
Finished. Fucking WOW. More thoughts later.

Hood's Balls indeed.
Make Another World.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
Finished.  :o ;D

I am now going make a cuppa and calm down.  :P

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Yeesh.

Bloody incredible novel.

Erm...so...The Crimson Guard have finally made another appearance, and they really lived up to expectations. Iron Bars stole every single scene he was in. Is he the most powerful human we have met in the series so far?

Silchas Ruin could rival Rake for being 'coolest' Tiste Andii. Albino, deep red eyes, and he uses two swords!

Chapter 25 was Erikson at his best; an amazing display of bringing every thread together.

Rhulad's erm...'beating' by Brys was amazing and horrific at the same time. If he wasn't completely insane before that, he definitely is now. Poor Trull - now we can see how he came to be 'shorned'.

Love that Fear is still out there - and that he is searching for Scabandari Bloodeye with the supposed 'betrayer' Silchas Ruin! Can't wait to return to this thread. (I assume in Reaper's Gale??)

Tehol and Bugg got a lot more interesting in this part. I actually worked out early on in Part 4 that Bugg was probably Mael. I forget exactly where, but it pushed me to go back and read the prologue with Gothos and Mael which made it click. Still brilliantly done.

Hull Beddict was a bit disappointing really. He had a lot of promise at the beginning but really he became a bit of a non-entity.

I thought Errant was a bit more like the Holds' aspected version of the Master of the Deck. Can't remember now why I thought that. Oponn is more obvious though as they use the Errant as a curse in a similar way as Malazan's and the rest of the world use 'Oponn' or 'Oponn's luck' etc.

I'm sure we've heard of Mockra before, but maybe just briefly or in a glossary somewhere.

Enjoyed the Kenyrll'ah (sp?) - probably laughed more at them than Tehol and Bugg. (Says a lot about my sense of humour)

I also remembered about Mallick Rel, but I suppose every God/religion has its evil dickheads - certainly in this series.

And when will Sheltatha Lore (Daughter Dusk) come free and what will happen then? Will she follow Silchas Ruin?

Where was she again, I've forgotten.  ???
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 04:24:25 PM »

Where was she again, I've forgotten.  ???
She's the one who tried to keep Silchas Ruin in the ground (or leave it with his help) all the time. The Wyval and Wither pushed her back and finally helped Silchas out. She was put there by her half-sisters (her father is Scabandari Bloodeye, their father Osserc) somewhere in part 3 or early part 4 of the book.

I read somewhere that Errant is/was something like the Master of the Holds, so good find! And yes, I thought Oponn because of the cursing/word use in Lether.

Another thing I'm wondering. Scabandari died when his head was crushed in by the Elder God Kilmandaros' fist. We haven't learned anything else about her yet, but there were a few incidents before, where heads were crushed in with bare hands - all done by Forkrul Assail.
An Elder God Forkrul Assail? Talk about badass...

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:51 PM »
Another thing I'm wondering. Scabandari died when his head was crushed in by the Elder God Kilmandaros' fist. We haven't learned anything else about her yet, but there were a few incidents before, where heads were crushed in with bare hands - all done by Forkrul Assail.
An Elder God Forkrul Assail? Talk about badass...

Also wondering if Assail the continent is named for the Forkrul Assail. That's what... two mentions of it so far? T'lan Imass were driven off it by humans, and Iron Bars' company of The Crimson Guard "managed" to escape. If it is assumed as a challenge even for them, then...seriously, what the hell is going on on Assail?!
Make Another World.

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »

Also wondering if Assail the continent is named for the Forkrul Assail. That's what... two mentions of it so far? T'lan Imass were driven off it by humans, and Iron Bars' company of The Crimson Guard "managed" to escape. If it is assumed as a challenge even for them, then...seriously, what the hell is going on on Assail?!

Esslemont's forthcoming novel is titled "Assail". I can't wait to read it, and find out.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »

Esslemont's forthcoming novel is titled "Assail". I can't wait to read it, and find out.

You mean we aren't going to 'visit' Assail till then??  :(

Offline Jeni

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
ok. totally forgot to post here....

Crimson Guard - really really can't wait for that book now!! :D
Iron Bars is awesome...but apparently not as awesome as 'Skinner'...looking forward to coming across him at some point...this is the second book they have appeared in and they have been impressive both times. Very curious about K'azz D'Avore now, too.

Brys - was the most interesting of the three brothers, for me...gutted that he's been sidelined and wondering why that was necessary...there was already a guardian, so why have another one? Does he still have a role to play?

And it was bitter to see Brys poison himself unknowingly. That was excellent drama.

Actually, I found that extremely irritating...it was obvious that the wine was poisoned before he drunk it...he could see what had happened/was happening to Ezgara...really irritating. I thought he was smarter than that.

Hull Beddict was a bit disappointing really. He had a lot of promise at the beginning but really he became a bit of a non-entity.

Yep. Totally agree.

Tehol and Bugg got a lot more interesting in this part. I actually worked out early on in Part 4 that Bugg was probably Mael. I forget exactly where, but it pushed me to go back and read the prologue with Gothos and Mael which made it click. Still brilliantly done.

Thought Bugg might be an Elder, but hadn't really thought about which one...didn't click for me until Bugg/Mael went ape and took out a whole gang of Edur to save Tehol. Definitely the biggest OMG moment of this book for me.  :D

Trull is a bit of an optimist if he thinks he can pry some semblance of humanity out of his brother...every time Rhulad comes back he is more damaged and less human - and the human part is clinging onto sanity with breaking fingernails.... Trull's days are numbered from here. He should have joined Fear .... but then he might never have met Onrack and got to share his story (which presumably we have just read some/most of?)  :)

I can't wait to read about Fear finding out about Silchas Ruin the "betrayer"...
Love that Fear is still out there - and that he is searching for Scabandari Bloodeye with the supposed 'betrayer' Silchas Ruin! Can't wait to return to this thread. (I assume in Reaper's Gale??)

Yes, this is something I'm also looking forward to.

Really liked the part where Fear just left and how he admits that he has only been so strong because Trull voiced his fears.

We knew it and Trull knew it. And he knew that Fear would be unlikely to ever confess to these thoughts, too.

Ruin, Kettle, Fear, Udinaas, Wither, Seren....are they all heading to Shurq's boat, along with the Crimson guard and the three women that hired Tehol?....That would be one very interesting voyage!

And what about Udinaas son Rud Elalle?

Rud has the same second name as Shurq. Do we know what it means/ signifies?

I'm just wondering about this asshole priest Mallick Rel from Deadhouse gates, who was/is a priest of Mael. He's the reason I thought Mael was a kind of evil god until now...
I also remembered about Mallick Rel, but I suppose every God/religion has its evil dickheads - certainly in this series.

If Mael has been quiet/absent/ busy elsewhere (finding food for Tehol, maybe?) for some time, then it is possible that Mallick Rel chose to call himself a priest of Mael because no-one would be able disprove his claim, and Mael wouldn't be around to witness/ judge/ interfere with whatever it is he is up to. Next best thing to making up your own God, using one that supposedly no longer exists. Adds an air of legitimacy.

Although we are judging Mael by Bugg's actions....before he was Bugg he could have been quite different...  ;)

Curious about what Mael intends to do with Withal and Sandalath after he has finished laying into the Crippled God - who could well end up even more crippled once he has finished beating him senseless  :o 8)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
I finished!
Wow, what an ending (I love the endings in all his books, almost a trademark) - and I had to interrupt the reading halfway through, eek!

Bugg is Mael :D :D
The Consort is the Errant!!! (by the way, is he one of gods we already know from the other books under a different name?)

A Jaghut 'froze' this continent, and that's why there was no knowledge of the other races continuing, no hold of Death...

The politics analysis by Bugg and Tehol are superb! About the treatment of non-Letherii people, rights, paternalist attitude: what is given can easily be taken away (I feel like that now with Brexit and my position in England...)

Magic in war, a perfect metaphor for how wars are fought nowadays, without contact, something distant and all-encompassing...

We ended up not really knowing yet why Trull is set apart (the prologue in HoC): I thought it would be something he was going to do or not in the throne room, but nope...

I wasn't sure what happened with Brys and Tehol: what are the "names" that Brys knew? That info was passed to Tehol in the cave, right?

And is the Crippled God Scabandary Bloodeye? :o

I need a lighter break from Malazan now though, but I'm so tempted to go start Bonehunters today ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:14:28 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams