July 12, 2020, 03:07:36 PM

Author Topic: Memories of Ice - Book Three: Capustan  (Read 6584 times)

Offline Idlewilder

Memories of Ice - Book Three: Capustan
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
SO much seems to happen in every scene of this monster that I have no idea where to start, so I'll just roll off a few things off the top of my head.

Implications from Deadhouse Gates are hitting this now left, right and centre! Fener’s forced entry into the mortal world with Heboric et al has completely changed everything for Itkovian and the Grey Swords. Not to mention Gruntle!

AND GRUNTLE! How amazing is this character? His transformation into basically the ultimate warrior has been phenomenal to read. And I love Stonny, too. Her remarks are hilarious.

Keruli is indeed K’rul as hypothesised.

The scene with Paran communicating with Nightchill/Sister of Cold Nights was fantastic, and had the revelation that the guy he talked to in Dragnipur was actually Draconus! And at some point he is going to have to destroy the sword.  :o

The Crippled God wants to enter the game officially and Paran is the guy to do it. House of Chains indeed. ;)  This is probably the biggest game-changer in the book, certainly if it comes to pass (which going by the title of Book 4…)

Toc is in the “embrace” of the K’chain Che’malle Matron. I’m still not sure what that even means, but it’s pretty harrowing to read. And it seems Toc has also got a God inside him – the Wolf of Winter. Why do I get the feeling the ultimate denoument of this novel is going to come down to the reunion of Togg and Fanderay?

Quick Ben is still kicking serious ass and taking names while he does it. He even talks to Hood like an inferior! Loved the scene where he beat Bauchelain and Korbal Broach.

Anyway, I know I’ve missed out a serious amount here, but this is a starter for ten. I’m getting a bad feeling about it all, especially for the Bridgeburners…
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of Ice - Book Three: Capustan
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
SO much seems to happen in every scene of this monster that I have no idea where to start, so I'll just roll off a few things off the top of my head.
Agreed. Especially book three is extremely long and masses of things happen.

Implications from Deadhouse Gates are hitting this now left, right and centre! Fener’s forced entry into the mortal world with Heboric et al has completely changed everything for Itkovian and the Grey Swords. Not to mention Gruntle!
Yep! I'm wondering if we will see Fener in the mortal world soon. I don't think his story is told.
And I'm wondering who this Mortal Sword of the House of Chains is, that Hood mentioned to Quick Ben. Somebody we know from Deathhouse Gates (and the Chain of Dogs) or somebody we don't know yet (but who may have been hinted at by the lone T'Lan Imass Lady Envy meets in the end of book three)?

AND GRUNTLE! How amazing is this character? His transformation into basically the ultimate warrior has been phenomenal to read. And I love Stonny, too. Her remarks are hilarious.
Indeed! Quite refreshing to see somebody in this position who doesn't care for it. Glad that there's a friendship developing between him and Paran (and maybe Quick Ben).

Keruli is indeed K’rul as hypothesised.
Nothing new here. But still...

The scene with Paran communicating with Nightchill/Sister of Cold Nights was fantastic, and had the revelation that the guy he talked to in Dragnipur was actually Draconus! And at some point he is going to have to destroy the sword.  :o
I'm wondering if Rake will let him do it or if there will be a massive confrontation.

The Crippled God wants to enter the game officially and Paran is the guy to do it. House of Chains indeed. ;)  This is probably the biggest game-changer in the book, certainly if it comes to pass (which going by the title of Book 4…)
All the Gods: Don't do it. Paran: Oh well, you told us often enough what to do and look where it brought us. :D
I'm curious if bringing him to the Deck will really forces him to change the game.

Toc is in the “embrace” of the K’chain Che’malle Matron. I’m still not sure what that even means, but it’s pretty harrowing to read. And it seems Toc has also got a God inside him – the Wolf of Winter. Why do I get the feeling the ultimate denoument of this novel is going to come down to the reunion of Togg and Fanderay?
Toc = Togg ^^ But yes, I'm curious too. Especially with Tocs broken body - will he get a new one or be transformed to a wolf? I guess he'll be the Mortal Sword of Togg before long, not the god himself.

Quick Ben is still kicking serious ass and taking names while he does it. He even talks to Hood like an inferior! Loved the scene where he beat Bauchelain and Korbal Broach.
Quick Ben makes his way up the list of my favorite mages fast! The scenes with Bauchelain and Hood were brilliant!

Anyway, I know I’ve missed out a serious amount here, but this is a starter for ten. I’m getting a bad feeling about it all, especially for the Bridgeburners…
Please not, they suffered enough in the first book.. :P

Okay, now the Mhybe is really getting annoying. But so are all the others. Why is nobody telling her that letting the wolves catch her might be her salvation?

Silverfox denying the T'Lan Imass and the T'Lan Ay. Dunno what to think about this. It's hard to comprehend what Nightchill's goals are (beside her ultimate goal)...

I hope we learn something about Kruppe soon. Even ascendants think he is incredibly powerful and intelligent, but we know next to nothing! Who is he?

I'm curious what will happen to Anaster and what Itkorian will do now that he isn't the Shield Anvil anymore. He's surely bound to find a new place.

Oh, and when Hood told Quick Ben about the House of Chains - why didn't he mention Kallor as the High King? What benefit could he possibly have from hiding this secret?

This book is just not ending. Just checked, Memories of Ice has 358k words - only a few less than Words of Radiance. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
I was cheering Gruntle on when he became leader of the impromptu militia

Korbal sewing hearts together "a bloody,throbbing mass on the kitchen table" yuck

we found out why the Imass hunts down Jaghuts not sure I'm keen on this reason

Brood losing his temper with Kruppe and uses his hammer on him oh oh and Kruppe just stands there haha

Barghast have found their Gods

How cool were the scenes with Quick Ben & Talamandas shifting through the warrens dealing with a demon guard and then having a nice chat with Bauchelain and putting Korbal down when he attacks him

Kevuli is K'rull I thought he was just a priest not the God himself

Oh lady Envy group have met a Kerluhhm I'mass who passes the news on that the Kerluhm & Ifayle I'mass have nearly been wiped out and not to a Jaghut but to a human  :)

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »
Oh lady Envy group have met a Kerluhhm I'mass who passes the news on that the Kerluhm & Ifayle I'mass have nearly been wiped out and not to a Jaghut but to a human  :)

Gods yeah! What in Hood's name is happening on the continent of Assail?!  :o
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »

Gods yeah! What in Hood's name is happening on the continent of Assail?!  :o
I'm guessing the Chained God's Mortal Sword...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:16 PM »
Jeez!

I thought the war in DG was bad enough - it was absolutely horrifying and left me completely drained...but Capustan? That was something else - I felt physically sick for most of that. How could someone live through something like that and walk away sane?! The Tenescowri. Manipulated into becoming such base, savage creatures in order to survive...hideously abhorrent and yet so tragically sad. And when Itkovian tried to  bring peace to all the souls that had died and it looked like that was going to destroy him, I was in bits.

Whiskeyjack and Korlat....Awww  :D

Hetan is hysterical...I choked on my tea when she suggested Silverfox should get it on with Kruppe!!

So, the second gathering didn't go according to plan ... or did it? Nightchill is obviously cooking up something and the rest of Silverfox seems happy to be a part of it. And just who did she promise the T'lan Ay to? Curious!

Is Paran going to have to sacrifice himself and swap places with Draconus in order to free him without releasing everyone/everything else? Or does he just need to pop back into the sword for another chinwag...Draconus did mention in the prologue that he would be needing to make the power in the sword not quite so final, so maybe there is a way out and he is just waiting for the right time/ opportunity...hmm.

Be interesting to see which group get to Coral first and who will actually dispatch the Pannion Seer.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
Same as with the previous thread, I'll just add comments as I find them, without having yet finished the book.

* The story about the T'lan Imass, the Jaghut, the K'Chain Che'Malle
* Kruppe!!!! - and Brood losing his temper with him, doing what every single person wanted to do ever since GotM ;D
* Gruntle in Capustan! Hurrah!

* Oh my god the battle. Awful and captivating at the same time, I just kept wanting it to end, but not wanting to jump ahead. And it just seemed so realistic, in the sense of little battles within the city, people having to stop and rest, advances and retreats.
* The betrayal, noooooo - and poor Iktovian, Shield Anvil, I finally understand what that means :'(
* Cutting the hands, which are then 'collected' by the god: so *that* is what happened to Heboric from DG! I wonder what he did to deserve that, I can't remember if it was said in the book??
* Down Fener, up Trake!

* Keruli = K'rul! Doh! Keruli
* The whole politics of the negotiations after the battle
* Gods and ascendants and changes and ups and downs
* Any conversations involving the "secondary" Malazan soldiers ;D
* (yes, still unusual enough for me to notice) the sheer amount of female roles
And finished! Going to read the other posts now...

You can see that Erikson is/was an archeologist, I love all the history details :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:08:09 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!