October 20, 2018, 12:30:30 AM

Author Topic: Memories of Ice- Book one  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Memories of Ice- Book one
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »
Bauchelain & Korbal quite scary individuals giving off an aura of fear also there have never heard of the Malazan Empire until recently

Keruli a priest k'Rul?

Toc the Youngers back! maybe he will come to regret his bargain with Lady Envy

Munug payment from the Crippled God ouch  :o

Quick Ben is awesome he can access seven warrens simultaneously at any on time but he possess more then seven warrens. He stands up against the Crippled God and then later on Korlet "Even easier to make a hole in the ground" ;D that was funny

Artanthos/Twist ok there's something going on with him when Silverfox mentions his a chimera the spirits have alter him

The Great Ravens were born from the Crippled God ooh

I enjoy reading about Gristle and his team with Buke and Reese with his cat

Funny scene with the Bridgeburners retaking the table and the banter between them then losing all their money in bets

The Deck of Dragons has a master...Paran and it seems he can spirit travel also Kalam face has appeared on the assassin card  ;)

The Seguleh society is interesting with the masks I hope we get to visit their land in future

Caladan Broods link with Burn so that why his got a massive hammer hopefully there be an option three later on dont think much of the options he got at the minute

Kruppe putting Crone in her place parrot haha and a mention of the Trygalle Trade Guild

The Pannion seer controls the K'chain Che' Malle K'ell hunters I think this is going to be a hard battle to be fought

Do you think Spindle a tribute to One eye from the Black Company? Both minor mage ,Both cheat at cards or try too , Both wear wear a revolting piece of clothes One Eye a Hat and Spindle a Vest  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of Ice- Book one
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:08:35 AM »
My favorite part is Itkovian and the Grey Swords.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »
Bauchelain & Korbal quite scary individuals giving off an aura of fear also there have never heard of the Malazan Empire until recently

If you're a fan, Erikson wrote three short stories in a book called Bauchelain and Korbal Broach that follow these two. They're fantastic, and 2 of them fit in before Memories (but have little importance to it) and one directly after.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
"Nightchill"! I should've realized this earlier! I wonder if Krull knew?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
Keruli a priest k'Rul?
Yep. I'm pretty sure he is. So... which warren does he access? I don't think he himself knows.

Artanthos/Twist ok there's something going on with him when Silverfox mentions his a chimera the spirits have alter him
Artanthos is Taschyrenn. I'm sure of it.

The Great Ravens were born from the Crippled God ooh
Quite interesting. I'm wondering how much free will they'll have once the Chained One is free.

also Kalam face has appeared on the assassin card  ;)
So what happened to Cotillion/the Rope who was Shadow's Assassin before. Is Kalam now Ascendant too? I thought that's what becoming part of the houses/decks meant.

Do you think Spindle a tribute to One eye from the Black Company? Both minor mage ,Both cheat at cards or try too , Both wear wear a revolting piece of clothes One Eye a Hat and Spindle a Vest  :)
No idea. Maybe? :)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
Really enjoying the lighter tone and humour of this book so far...just what was needed after Deadhouse Gates!  :D

There has been a noticeable series of catch-up / reminders of what has happened previously which I didn't notice in DG but is understandable considering that the time between GotM and this one being published was probably a couple of years. They haven't detracted from the story any, I guess I just noticed because I read GotM only a couple of weeks ago!  :D

Like Tattersails new name...really interested to see what she will be capable of...will she be able to blend the souls within her into one that functions effectively or will she go nuts? :)

So, Paran can access the new Azath house...and Rallick Nom and Vorcan are apparently in stasis, waiting for him to wake them up and put their skills to use...also if he can access the house at will he can go anywhere - can he go anywhen too? ...very intriguing :D

Not sure what to make of the Paran /Silverfox relationship at the moment...bit icky until she grows a bit...although by the end of this section she's about 16 I think, so by the time they actually meet again it should all be fine. Or not. Tattersail might be Silverfox's  dominant soul at the moment but nothing is ever that simple in this series  ;D
Also, seems like Paran will presumably be quite powerful once he gets his act together and figures out what he is capable of - kind of losing patience with him a bit...trying to stop the power from taking hold is killing him and he's obviously not going to be able to keep doing that for much longer...I would have expected him to show a bit more spine and be trying to figure out a way of controlling it instead of it controlling him, by now.

Quick Ben seems to have taken it upon himself to save the world. If anyone can... :D

When I read this line....
They left Kallor upon his throne, upon its heap of bones.
It reminded me of the cover of King of Thorns!  ;D

So we are now going to find out more about the K'Chain Che'Malle. The third one of the four founding races to play an active role so far.- and until now, presumed extinct. As the Jaghut were also supposed to be extinct, kinda makes me wonder when the Forkrul Assail will put in an appearance   :)
...and the third Tiste race  :D

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:17:09 PM by Jeni »

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »
kinda makes me wonder when the Forkrul Assail will put in an appearance   :)
...and the third Tiste race  :D
Why, next book of course!  ;D
(And I guess in the books after they discover that there have been six founding races in truth... ;))

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »
I think the Tiste races and the slow unfolding of them is my favourite aspect of the series - every time there is mention of them I instantly sit up.

Well...that or the Pantheon and the Deck of Dragons.

Or The Bridgeburners.

Anything with Quick Ben. Cotillion and Shadowthrone. The Silanda.

Hell...the whole series!

:P
Make Another World.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
I forgot to post on this one, and now I'm way into book 2...

It's what I posted on the other thread, how amazing the meeting of all allies was.
And the Pannion are the Jaghut??

And basically just everything ::) I love how he writes such a huge world, interlocking events and peoples and ages, and we don't always get everything but are captivated to go along.
I really wish I had more time to read, hehe

Edit: everything everyone said in the previous posts, yeah ::) ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:31:03 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams