February 24, 2017, 05:23:00 PM

Author Topic: Kharkanas Trilogy  (Read 332 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Kharkanas Trilogy
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Hey Malazan Fans,

so far I only read Forge of Darkness from the Kharkanas Trilogy. I liked it a lot despite Erikson's philosophical essays and ramblings that take up a lot more room than in the other Malazan books and is annoying from time to time.

I like all the new things we learn about the Azathanai and the origin of the Tiste races etc a lot.

One thing I'm wondering a lot about is who Draconus son Arathan is - or better, who he will be. Most other major players are easy to identify or get revealed in the book. He obviously will become someone important - but who?

Only one I can think about atm is
Spoiler for Hiden:
Quick Ben
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Hedin

Re: Kharkanas Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
Fall of Light seemed to have more of the philosophical essays than FoD and I couldn't finish it.  I will get back to it someday but I just couldn't power through to get to any good parts that there might be.

As far as your spoiler goes:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I've thought about that, Arathan one of QB's souls (QB is never described as Andii so I doubt that it's him exactly).  I've been looking for the quote and can't quite find it but Erikson has said you see QB in the the book but won't recognize him.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 03:32:44 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yep, one of his souls. We know (and saw) Quick Ben's sister and there were a few snippets from their childhood.
Wasn't there a scene in the Crippled God where Quick Ben spoke quite familiar with Mother Dark?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yep, here it is: https://books.google.com/books?id=kPpeTrfXpKsC&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=spar+of+andii&source=bl&ots=5G7eub8Kh8&sig=jMPckEMI7319aMMImf2QKOCvbw0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil_ta2qZzRAhXo6YMKHUoqBVEQ6AEIWDAJ#v=onepage&q=spar%20of%20andii&f=false

Reading through that I'm not sure about Arathan.  The fact that Mother and Father is capitalized seems to indicate to me that he's referring to Mother Dark and Father Light rather than his actual parents. He is definitely addressing Mother Dark and her son that she references most likely has to be Anomander.  If the Father he is referencing is Father Light then the his son part is likely referencing Osserc. 

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
I read Fall of Light pretty soon after release and found it alright, but way too srlf-indulgent and philosophical. It makes Crack'd Pot Trail look restrained.

In all honesty I only really enjoyed the first few Malazan novels. Towards the end, and in these prequels, there seems to be too much of Erikson's opinions and not enough of a good story. I prefer Esslemont's books, which for me have had the opposite trajectory.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:08:35 AM »
I am the complete opposite of you. I liked the first Erikson books enough to continue with the series but not enough overall that I would have put them on any personal favorite series list.  I think that once I got through Book 4 and pretty much every major player had been introduced I really started to fall in love with the series. I'm the opposite with Esslemont as well, liked his first few but thought the last ones were just OK (haven't read Dancer's yet).

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:19:59 AM »
I haven't gotten to this series yet, but I find it interesting how widely different the responses are.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 08:08:43 AM »
I feel Dancer's is Esselmont best novel so far. Probably because there's less Crimson Guard stuff in it and more Kellanved and Dancer for me and I love reading about that duo.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:10:17 AM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
There are actually 2 characters he could be.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Ruthan Gudd or Quick Ben. There was a part where QB says he's the only one who can stand against Draconus.

I think the name Delat is crucial. Adeaphon Delat is a anagram of something?

Tags: