February 22, 2019, 05:22:23 PM

Author Topic: House of Chains: Book 4 (finished)  (Read 2112 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
House of Chains: Book 4 (finished)
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »
I didn't like Felisin most of the time but I didn't want her to die. Not so soon, not so unglamorous, not by Tavore and not without her realizing and regretting it. She deserved more.
It was an act of mercy from Lostara and Pearl to not tell her that she killed her sister but still.

But the rest - wow. Doesn't look as if it Karsa can be stopped by anyone. I share the opinion that the crippled god will regret making him his mortal sword - whatever that means. I wonder what his plans are now. Going back to his tribe? Looking for Torvald Nom?

So Minala and the children are protecting the First Throne and Onrak and Trull Segar have joined them. I'm curious to what will become of Trull Segar.

The most hilarious guy in this book was Corabb, a soldier too stupid to die. Hope we'll see him (and Leoman) again.

So Kalam, Quick Ben and Fid are reunited. What now? And what does it mean that the Bridgeburners have ascended? The comparison to the T'Lan Imass... phew...

L'oric was cool, hopefully he'll one day manage to step out of his father's shadow.

And Grub, the adopted son of Keneb, will one day be First Sword of the Empire. He definitely has some eerie skills. Hopefully we'll see more from him too.

And the Pearl - Lostara relationship... going to stay entertaining I think.  ;D

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: House of Chains: Book 4 (finished)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
Fid's brilliant the scorpion scene made me laugh  ;)

Kalam and Quick Ben behind the wall witnessing all the chaos, Kalam killing the shadow wraiths with Cotillion help brilliant

Bottle I think will become someone I would like to learn more off along with Grub

Karsa and the Hounds  :o

I wanted Tavore to know she killed her sister...

I really enjoyed L'oric with Greyfrog

Where do you think Apsalar has gone?

Not too sure off the Pearl and Lostara relationship

I was great seeing Fiddler,Kalam,Quick Ben reunited hugging each other not caring what others think they were his brothers   :)

Hedge saving Fiddler 
Bound them all, as was now clear, beyond even death

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
Hood's balls on a spike, this series is just phenomenal really, isn't it?

The way Erikson had every group (except Trull and Onrack) converge together for this last part was simply astounding to read - expert plotting.

The scenes that stole the show for me in this final part were:

1. Meeting Osseric for the first time.
2. Karsa killing the Hound-things.
3. Hedge saving Fiddler in the sandstorm

Honestly, that part where Hedge spoke to Fid in the storm gave me chills.

I never really liked Felisin and can't say I'm sorry she's gone, to be honest. Who else figured out that the Whirlwind Goddess was Onrack's ex?

I knew we would see Quick Ben! So awesome when he popped up.  :D

Karsa and L'oric were probably the breakout characters in this for me - I just relished it each time they had a scene. Cotillion is also a complete scene-stealer.

I'm really unsure of where Apsalar has been sent.

Brilliant book and now onto Midnight Tides...
Make Another World.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
3. Hedge saving Fiddler in the sandstorm

Honestly, that part where Hedge spoke to Fid in the storm gave me chills.

I absolutely loved that scene  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Jeni

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Ooops! seemed to have missed this thread  ???

I didn't like Felisin most of the time but I didn't want her to die. Not so soon, not so unglamorous, not by Tavore and not without her realizing and regretting it. She deserved more.
It was an act of mercy from Lostara and Pearl to not tell her that she killed her sister but still.

After all Felisin's whingey, tantrumy, 'my sister will pay for what she did' melodrama, all Tavore had to do in the end was walk up to her and run her through with a sword. Perfect.
Not sure if keeping the truth from Tavore is a good idea...will depend how/when/why she finds out and who tells her, I think.

Who else figured out that the Whirlwind Goddess was Onrack's ex?

Not. A. Clue. ... The was mention of a sister to Lady Envy, called Spite, so from the Sha'ik's behaviour I did wonder if it would turn out to be her...but until we got a bit of her backstory I had no idea.

Where do you think Apsalar has gone?
I'm really unsure of where Apsalar has been sent.

I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later...I'm just glad that her and Cutter have been spilt up - it was all getting a bit tragic and I was starting to get fed up with the pair of them tbh.

Karsa and L'oric were probably the breakout characters in this for me
Karsa and the Hounds  :o

I really enjoyed L'oric with Greyfrog
But the rest - wow. Doesn't look as if it Karsa can be stopped by anyone. I share the opinion that the crippled god will regret making him his mortal sword - whatever that means. I wonder what his plans are now. Going back to his tribe? Looking for Torvald Nom?

L'oric was cool, hopefully he'll one day manage to step out of his father's shadow.

Karsa was fascinating, his backstory was one of the most entertaining so far....and L'oric was an interesting addition to the cast - Greyfrog was definitely my favourite new character from this book though. So funny!

Bottle I think will become someone I would like to learn more off along with Grub

Me too...Bottle is very intriguing...him and Quick Ben working together would be a formidable team, I think.

And what does it mean that the Bridgeburners have ascended?

Guess we'll just have to wait and see  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »
Done! And it's another big WOW WHAT A GREAT BOOK from me ;D

This time I did what I hinted at in my 'book 3' thread and kept a notebook where I noted down things I wanted to highlight. Here we go, more or less in order of reading but I combined a couple that got clearer at the end (sorry it's a lot):

* The scorpion battle! How did he manage to combine 2 into 1 without the others noticing? Too cool 8)
* Heboric to Treach! (had we seen that before?)
* Pearl and Lostara, weeeeeeee ;)
* Are azalan demons related to the House of Azath? Where do they fit in the races, is it a separate thing (will we know more in later books)? I've been confused about them ever since a House appeared in GotM
* Wow the idea that Shadowthrone wants everything!
* The T'Lan Imass created humans! The Whirlwind goddess is a TI! - And then later we got her story, it was before the vow, and at the time of reading I thought I should know the names/story already, was it described in DG? And it's Onrack, at the very end!
* Osric a dragon! Like Anomander Rake, and now I understand a lot better the scene in GotM (was it there or DG?) where he turned into a dragon, which I thought at the time was weird. Loved his relationship with his son!
* Hounds domesticating people :o
* What's with Iskaral Pust and his wife, never in the same place at the same time? Are they just 1, multiple personality disorder? ???
* Yay Quick Ben!
* Yay Karsa killing all the baddies, especially Bidithal in a most poetic and just way ;D
* Karsa fighting the Hounds of Darkness! And being his very own self, despite all the titles and roles he's supposed to have, what a guy!
* Loved Hedge saving Fiddler :D And the remaining Bridgeburners all together again!
* Poor Tavore, killing her sister without ever knowing, but even sadder that Felisin died without ever knowing that she wasn't really betrayed, but things got out of control :'(

This felt to me like the first book in the series to actually end in a kind of nice way! At least not with unbelievable death and sadness like MoI and DG.
GotM was all about convergence, it was alive in the plot, and this one was all about chains: all sorts of chains, physical and spiritual, self-imposed and not, limiting or empowering. I love Erikson's brain :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:08:24 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams