October 30, 2020, 01:55:22 PM

Author Topic: Dust of Dreams: finished  (Read 3150 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Dust of Dreams: finished
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
DoD has an epic ending but not as epic as we are used to from Toll the Hounds or Reaper's Gale.
Luckily that's exactly what SE told us in the beginning, so I am not disappointed. ;)

What a death toll (again). Feels like if half of the bonehunters aren't alive anymore.  :'( And neither is Warleader Gall and most of his burning tears.

A pity Keneb died and not Blistig.

I hope bottle isn't really dead. He has to be able to put his soul back together. He's supposed to marry Nether someday, he can't die!

Quick Ben of course isn't dead. I'm not worrying the least here.

I would have liked to see more of Lostara's shadow dance against the Nah'ruk.

I'm not sure about Ruthan Gudd (he isn't a storm rider, he just has their magic/artifacts, right?) Was there a chance for him to survive? I still want to know who he was - he talked to Rake about Kallor (millenia? ago)!

And Gesler and Stormy really are the Mortal Sword/Shield Anvil of the Che'Malle - who will now protect the bonehunters and their allies. Amazing. Their scenes where quite entertaining and movie like.
When Icarium sealed the rent with the Errant's eye... Epic.

The crystal city: Icarias! Will Saddic or someone else manage to revive the cities heart?
Badalle is weird and incredible. She's using the Forkrul warren (their words) against them? She should be named badass not Badalle.
And now we know that the Forkrul really killed everybody in Kolanse. But why now? And where do they come from? It's interesting to learn that (young?) Forkrul can mimic humans.

Half the Tygalle people made it but neither their mage, nor their carriage. Since Setoc (presumably the next Perish destriant) is with them I'm guessing that's whom they are meeting. What will Mappo do now?
And I'm even more curious about the Bole brothers now. They can hit with their bare fists hard enough to nearly kill a Shi'gal assassin and harder than Mappo with his mace?

Tool killing the Senan children... Until then I really liked him.

Torrent hitting Olar Ethil because she's cruel towards Silchas. That was the courageous stupidity I'm expecting from Torrent. :) And Telorast and Curdle... hm...

Draconus and Ublala. What a dream team. Loving their scenes.

Will Sinn and Grub just join the bonehunters again as if nothing has happened?

And the five T'Lan that joined Masan Gilani - they're Karsa's ex gods, right? No good can come from them. It would have been cooler (not that I would've expected it from SE) if she had found T'Lan Imass loyal to Tool.

Hood is reborn (undead reborn or live?) and now among the fourteen undead Jaghut! I'm expecting great (and funny) things from them. It's cool how masterful Erikson mixes tragedy and humour. :)

Sandalath is Korlat's mother (we guessed right) and the only Tiste Andii in Kharkanas now that Mother Dark is back. I guess Fiddler's reading was quite accurate concerning her.

What will happen to the Shake? What will Yedan do with his powerful new hust sword and what are those stupid witches doing in Draconus villa? Would be great if they're still there when he comes back to claim it.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: Dust of Dreams: finished
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:51 PM »
Mael: One is mortal and my closest friend ahhh  :)

Badalle how powerful is she with her words

Ublala & Draconus travling companions haha everybody needs a friend

Cuddle, Telorast and Torrent interesting group there can he trust them

The Bonehunters always fun to read,Fiddler knocking out Quick Ben with his helmet so funny

Ruthan Gudd got  Stormrider  equipment  ???  I want more info on stormrider's

Lostara's shadow dance  I Wanted a more detailed description of this

Wow the two battles at the end first we get the bonehunter and allies v k chain Nah'ruk then we get Gesler and stormy commanding the Che'Malle against the Nah'rux  very exciting to  read to see what happens next I Didn't think Keneb would die like that  :( , Captain Kindly the new Fist?

Onos Toolan is he going round killing all Humans now instead of Jaghuts bit disappointed in him

Hoods back!

A new Azath in the Wastelands

What do you think of Tavore  now? I'm still unsure of her why didn't she do anything about Blistig?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:02:42 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
I hope bottle isn't really dead. He has to be able to put his soul back together. He's supposed to marry Nether someday, he can't die!

Quick Ben of course isn't dead. I'm not worrying the least here.

I don't think either are dead I hope  :)

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »
Yeesh. I finished this a week ago and have since started The Crippled God, but since I had the week from hell (seriously - if you want to curse your mortal enemy, give them kidney stones) I'm only just getting round to posting.

All in all this wasn't a favourite in the series for me, but then I didn't expect it to be. It was (as SE told us as the start) pretty much all set-up for the enormous climax that TCG will be, and that's fine. It was still very enjoyable and had plenty of epic moments. And even though it didn't quite have that big 200 page climax we've come to expect, it certainly had a helluva big finish when it got there.

I mean, who's even left alive after all that? (I know mostly, but STILL)

It was an epic battle, done in such a shocking and visceral way that even whilst in hospital I struggled to put it down.

Sad to see Keneb go over Blistig.

Loved Gesler and Stormy being the Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil of the Che'malle. It was so brilliant - they've been favourites of mine throughout and they just got even better. Loved it.

Ruthan Gudd was also a bit of a scene stealer there at the end - somewhat surprisingly so. Very curious about him.

Still didn't really get the whole Snake storyline. Luckily it didn't take up much page time (unlike Redmask in RG) but yeah, I wasn't too keen on those sections. Though it's very interesting to learn some more about the Forkrul Assail and their warren - Akhrast Korvalain.

Not much more to say at this point. I enjoyed it probably a bit more than Reaper's Gale all in all, though RG had an amazing ending. Hard to say. But I have sky-high hopes for The Crippled God, and going on Part One it's living up to them big time.  :)
Make Another World.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »
wow wow wow
When he said that this wasn't a 'normal' book, with beginning/middle/end I really wasn't expecting THOSE last couple of chapters :o :o
As usual, I ended up staying up late just to finish it!!!

My notes as reading:

- Wow, the Snake was being hunted by Forkrul Assail! I thought that race was dead... And Badalle using her words against them, hurrah!
- The 3 Dal Honese women! Everyone else talks, assumes, talks more and does nothing, they're the ones putting things in motion!
- Ublala Pung and Draconus!
- I loved Silchas Ruin's conversation on attackers/defenders
- Setoc and the children meeting the Guild (survivors!) who were attacked by the one in Kalyth's group, the assassin! --> ok, I wrote this then, but now I wonder if it was a Nah'ruk?
- Setoc the Destriant for the Wolves --> ok then for the Grey Hels not to choose one and wait, despite what Tanakalian thinks, they need to find each other!
- The Snake are in Icarium's original city!
- Gesler and Stormy Mortal Sword and Shiled Anvil of the K'Chain Che'Malle! When they disappeared I actually guessed, hehe - that final battle, wow, they really came into their own!
- ARGH the Nah'ruk!! We hadn't heard of them before, had we? Did I forget a key element again??
Did Tavore know they were there? How was it so quick? So many dead :'(
- Bad Tool >:(
- Ohmygawd those battles! Icarium! Sinn and Grub! I was literally making a loud noise while reading (aaaaaaaaaaa ;D)
- The eye creating a new Azath --> so the group of 5 weren't in his imagination as we were wondering in book 3, they were real

Much I didn't fully understand, but... whatever!  8)

I think after reading 2 Malazan in a row, I need to take a few days' break and read something else, something short, before starting the last book *breathes*

(by the way, could I get a little feedback? I feel I'm talking to space...)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:00:11 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »
I'd love to, but it has been (exactly) six years! Just think about how much you'll remember in six years. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
I'd love to, but it has been (exactly) six years! Just think about how much you'll remember in six years. ;)
For me = 6 months ;D

I'll actually start Crippled God today, hehe, my foray outside fantasy was quite bad :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »
And after that on towards Night of Knifes.