September 21, 2020, 04:48:36 PM

Author Topic: Dust of Dreams: Book two  (Read 3736 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Dust of Dreams: Book two
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »
I don't like the way Tool died. :( Stupid Barghast, leaving a weapon as powerful as his in the dirt. One day his son will get it and probably kill them all (if he survives the next days).

Olar Ethil (an Elder Goddess I think) said that Toc will be back, so they will have missed each other again. And poor Toc Younger, no rest for him...

Another thing I don't like is that the Errant is in league with one of the most powerful Elders: Kilmandaros. I don't think he will be able to control her, though. He may have (again) bitten more than he can chew. Knuckles seems to be the original god of luck and father (?) to the Oponn twins. Interesting!

And it seems as if the Shake weren't as unimportant a side story (and showing off his world building skills) as we thought. They are in Kharkanas (their origin - how? when?) now. Which is seemingly abandoned...

Yedan killed a Forkrul Assail in a few seconds! That brings him close to the level of Karsa and Dassem I think.

Who is Captain Ruthan Gudd? Lover of Shurq Elalle, Friend (Ex-Adjutant?) of Greymane and if I understood right not in the body he was born with: "reminding himself of the stranger's face he now wore" (p. 529)

I like that Pores is more active now (even has a black market) and in opposition to/competition with Kindly. Quite funny.

And "Captain" Hedge with his "army of sappers". Gods beware. Can't wait for his first mission. :D

What is this sentient storm/earthquake thing that's killing armies in the wasteland? The reawakened reason for it being a wasteland?

Where are Grub and Sinn and when and how will they be back?

Still not sure if the K'Chain Che'Malle are dragon descendants but we do know now that they worship dragons.
And their magic isn't elder because it fails close to Otatral. (Can you imagine what this tooth is worth? Incredible that it hasn't been found yet by somebody else.)

Who/what is this Drone in the abandoned K'Chain city?

Deadsmell's encounter with hood was interesting.
And Bottle could be a high mage but prefers to be a shaved knuckle...

Ublala's new armour + weapon are impressive. Will he walk into the wastelands alone or with Brys and his army?

How old is Setoc the wolf child? Ten? Older?

So far we haven't seen any Jaghut, no T'Lan Imass and Gruntle and Mappo haven't appeared either. I wonder when, where and in which story line we will meet those forces. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: Dust of Dreams: Book two
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Jeez the Barghast are far more unpleasant than I remember. Their methods of torture are...well, pretty fucking horrifying. The less time spent with them the better as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like the way Tool died.

Is he T'Lan again? Will he meet with Toc in the...erm...afterlife? What's up with the realm of Death after both Hood's thing in Toll the Hounds and Lether's (presumably still) frozen death hold? What about the new Warrens? I suspect Tool could be our entry into understanding some of this stuff...  ;)

Olar Ethil (an Elder Goddess I think)

Olar Ethil is the undead dragon from a while back. Soletaken.

And it seems as if the Shake weren't as unimportant a side story (and showing off his world building skills) as we thought. They are in Kharkanas (their origin - how? when?) now. Which is seemingly abandoned...

Yep - storyline is way better in this book. I figured out that the Road to Gallan meant Kurald Galain, but didn't realise they would get to Kharkanas. Also Kurald Liosan is crazy!

Yedan killed a Forkrul Assail in a few seconds! That brings him close to the level of Karsa and Dassem I think.

Yup!  :D

Who is Captain Ruthan Gudd?

I'm not sure - will he even be someone we would know? Hmm...

What is this sentient storm/earthquake thing that's killing armies in the wasteland? The reawakened reason for it being a wasteland?

I'm really not sure, but the only thing I could think was maybe the K'Chain Short-tails whom we've still never met? That or maybe The Crippled God or the Tiste Liosan? I dunno...

So far we haven't seen any Jaghut, no T'Lan Imass and Gruntle and Mappo haven't appeared either. I wonder when, where and in which story line we will meet those forces.

Are we expecting Jaghut and T'Lan Imass? Not sure how they would get to Lether... As for Gruntle et al, I've a feeling maybe they will pop up in The Crippled God when we (presumably) get to Kolanse.

That last Tehol scene definitely felt like the end for him - I think the epigraph at the start of the chapter, written by Janath, was basically telling us Tehol is finished in the Book of the Fallen.

Bugg, on the other hand, giving Tavore Chekov's, erm...dagger... looks to have something left to do.  :)
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
Jeez the Barghast are far more unpleasant than I remember. Their methods of torture are...well, pretty fucking horrifying. The less time spent with them the better as far as I'm concerned.
Yep. But I guess we'll see a lot of blood flow in the rest of the book...

Is he T'Lan again? Will he meet with Toc in the...erm...afterlife? What's up with the realm of Death after both Hood's thing in Toll the Hounds and Lether's (presumably still) frozen death hold? What about the new Warrens? I suspect Tool could be our entry into understanding some of this stuff...  ;)
Good question. Since his body was mutilated and destroyed I don't think so, but maybe he comes back in another way. (Hey, it's Erikson. A lot of people don't die for real. ;))

Olar Ethil is the undead dragon from a while back. Soletaken.
Ah, right. She can still be an Elder Goddess, though.

Also Kurald Liosan is crazy!
Yeah, hasn't changed from the last times we've been there...

I'm really not sure, but the only thing I could think was maybe the K'Chain Short-tails whom we've still never met? That or maybe The Crippled God or the Tiste Liosan? I dunno...
I don't think Short-Tails because the K'Chain with their human destriant took cover and fled it too.

Are we expecting Jaghut and T'Lan Imass?
We are, if the Dramatis Personae are correct.

That last Tehol scene definitely felt like the end for him - I think the epigraph at the start of the chapter, written by Janath, was basically telling us Tehol is finished in the Book of the Fallen.

Bugg, on the other hand, giving Tavore Chekov's, erm...dagger... looks to have something left to do.  :)
Chekov's dagger. :D Brilliant. Will we see Tehol's and Janath's child? Since the series is nearly finished, I doubt it...

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »
Knuckles, Interesting with the luck aspect

Love reading the Bonehunters and the Letheril storylines but struggling with the Rutt and Rautos Havanar groups hopefully it will pick up for me

Nefarics Breed hmmm I'm going to start a new topic on him   

Enjoyed Deadsmell Background reveal and the  Game with Hood

Pores has come alive in this novel I  really like reading what his up too

Wow Yedan Deposed off Repose Fast didn't he

Tehol and the useless Akrynnai Gift haha   :)

oh oh Hedge and Bavedict have got a new squad of sappers brilliant  ;)

Who do you think is Throat Slitter fellow Talon ?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:13:47 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:17:29 PM »
Ruthan Gudd is mentioned in Bonehunters in chapter Thirteen near the end  talking to Kindly and Gall
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:26:21 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
No idea. One of the officers?

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
No idea. One of the officers?

Neffarias Bredd  ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
This one dragged a bit more for me, especially with certain plot threads.

* Everyone's getting ready to move?
* Sinn and Grub in the new warren? Weird, want to know more
* Wow the K'Chain Che'Malle in the field of dragons! One Dragon God vs Otataral God in opposition, "they" want to release the Otataral one. War everlasting... And the way is to follow the one who's acting against all this --> it must be Karsa, in his "destroy civilisation" quest, right??
* The women (Janarth, Shurq, the 14th daughter, handmaiden), what superb conversations :D
* Erikson does the "only dialogue" prompt from our contest extremely well!!
* The new recruits and their names, Pores vs Kindly, so funny
* As usual, the back stories are great!
* Yedan, coming into his own? Had we seen him be good before?
* I have to be honest, I really don't care about the Barghast and their internal fights, I just want to skim-read those bits... But Onos Toolan sacrificing himself :'( is his spirit really dead, though, given the words of that old woman/god that Torrent met?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:22:12 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!