September 21, 2020, 05:37:32 PM

Author Topic: Refreshing the book club  (Read 327 times)

Offline Bender

Refreshing the book club
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »
What if we switch book clubs from reading a particular book, to reading on a particular theme.

For example, we choose Asian Mythology and we all can choose our own book that fits the criteria and then post reviews to compare. It would give a bit more flexibility to the reader to choose their preferred books.

We can vote/agree on themes beforehand, probably 3 themes (1 per month) in advance.

It would be better if we can stipulate that the book must be finihed within the month, but that's not really that important and can be flexible.

Any interest?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Refreshing the book club
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
I never really participate in book clubs as I prefer to read what I want when I want, but your proposal seems like a good idea for those who enjoy book clubs, giving them more options (for example, checking if they've already got unread books that fit the theme).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Skip

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »
My trouble with book clubs is that I then feel pressure--not only to read within a certain time, but also to comment intelligently. Rather than let others down, I just avoid. But I see very many people enjoy book clubs, so don't take me as an exemplar!

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:59:48 PM »
My trouble with book clubs is that I then feel pressure--not only to read within a certain time, but also to comment intelligently. Rather than let others down, I just avoid. But I see very many people enjoy book clubs, so don't take me as an exemplar!

This. +1
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline hexa

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 11:31:32 PM »
My volunteer work as a translator is mostly done for now.  Half of the game has been translated.  I can take it easy now, having more free time with not much to do.  I can read anything for the book club now, or even write a story for the writing contest.  I don't like Dialogue.  I hope to write for xiagan's September theme.  Just go ahead with the book club; I would even read the dreaded Jules Verne, or a Chinese book

Offline Bender

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 12:05:10 AM »

We don't really need a timeline. Perhaps one read per quarter should take away the pressure.
As to comments,nice never seen a dumb one. Agree or not depends on perspective, which is to be expected. You can do a simple "it was a great read, I'll recommend. 7/10" and it'll be fine.

After all it's just within this group and so can be more comfortable.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 04:38:29 AM »
I've participated in a group much like this concept - it calls itself the "Bring Your Own Book Club" - and it can offer a really interesting sort of discussion as people can consider the varying ways that the theme manifests in each book. It does require people to speak a little more eloquently about the book they read, because there's no guarantee anyone else in the group has read it, so they need more information about what's going on in the book. The BYO Book Club has a sort of survey/template for responding each month, that prompts for summary info on the book, but also asks some questions related to the theme.

That said, I tend to only participate in this other group when a book I'm reading anyway happens to coincide with the month's theme. BUT if we get a list of themes well in advance, perhaps I (and others) can tweak our planned reading to coincide...