May 01, 2017, 03:21:33 AM

Poll

Vote for which books we should read first! (2 choices)

The Call - Eli Freysson (ebook only)
1 (5.6%)
The Sane King - Matt Knott (ebook only)
1 (5.6%)
American Craftsman - Tom Doyle (ebook / paper)
2 (11.1%)
The Stone Road - G.R. Matthews (ebook & paper)
5 (27.8%)
Glyphbinder - T. Eric Bakutis (ebook & paper)
2 (11.1%)
The Copper Promise - Jen Williams (ebook & paper / July in U.S.)
3 (16.7%)
Swords & Scoundrels - Julia (Francis) Knight (ebook & paper)
3 (16.7%)
Snakewood / Adrian Selby - (ebook/ hardcover)
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 07, 2016, 05:56:15 PM

Author Topic: June 2016 Start to F-F Authors Book Club - Help choose  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
June 2016 Start to F-F Authors Book Club - Help choose
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:56:15 PM »
Finally getting back to this.
I'm putting the poll up now, and will use summoning to invite all who have responded so far and all authors.
You can vote for yourself!  ;D (Cuz, why not?) But if you do, I'll expect you to be available for Q&A etc.

I'll also be posting in descriptions and links shortly.

So at the end of this poll, I'll post up the choices for June, July and August.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: June 2016 Start to F-F Authors Book Club - Help choose
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
Hm, some tough choices in there.

You mentioned books for the next months as well, so I'm guessing we're gonna read them all and we are sorting out the reading order? Nice.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »
Can I suggest we get the authors in question here to give us reasons why to vote for them?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »
It can be forum people too!

For example, I've read Jen Williams and G.R. Matthews (the 2 I voted for), Julia Knight (also quite good but the other 2 were better) and book 3 of Eli Freysson (the list has got book 1, so I'm not sure, but I really enjoyed 3).

I can tell you the ones I votes for are very very good: different, each one in its own way, in characters and locations and voice, and they lead themselves to questions and discussion :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
Only read the last two on the list. Neither particularly stuck with me, but maybe a reread would help.  :)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Well, to recommend Tom's book, I'd simply say:

- I really enjoy Tom's writing, which feels like the right balance of tight and twisty
- I haven't really seen much military fantasy like American Craftsmen, so the book feels original, and
- Tom twists existing history in a number of interesting ways

From being part of Tom's writing group, I know how widely read he is, and how much research he puts into his books. There's often interesting real world stories behind even little throwaway bits of lore, and though you don't (and likely won't) need to get every reference, it's certainly fun when one jumps out at you.

As far as why should vote for my book, I guess the most balanced thing I could say (being the author!) is that if you enjoy my writing for the monthly F-F contests, you might also enjoy my book. Since I've got the first five chapters up for everyone, it should be pretty easy to see if it peaks your interest or not.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Book 1: Glyphbinder
Book 2: Demonkin
Book 3: Bloodmender

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:21:26 PM »
Well...that's a balanced poll, I guess.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:56:51 PM »
That's an interesting set of books. Some I've heard of, some I haven't.

I really enjoyed Jen Williams book.

I feel a bit awkward voting for myself, after all I've read the book a few times, so I won't. I know I should, but that's the way I am :)

However, if you decide you want to give The Stone Road a try then I'll be here to answer your questions and chat with you. At present, I am in the throws of editing my Sci-Fi sequel and reading entries for the SPFBO for this very website... and writing about it too.

The Stone Road came from one short paragraph in John Keays A History of China... it mentioned the myth of a road being built between two cities (and that's all I can say without spoilers about the road) :) Around that, and my love of Kung Fu movies, I've built my take on Ancient China, plundering a good thousand years of history, and mixed in some different types of magic... which, if I am honest, get much more of the focus in Book 2 and 3.

If nothing else, The Stone Road is not a medieval European setting and is, I hope, a self-contained novel (it has a satisfying ending) that might encourage you to read the others.
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »
If nothing else, The Stone Road is not a medieval European setting and is, I hope, a self-contained novel (it has a satisfying ending) that might encourage you to read the others.

Looks like you've jumped into the lead by a decent amount. Time to start planning that Q&A, I think. :)
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Book 1: Glyphbinder
Book 2: Demonkin
Book 3: Bloodmender

Offline Peat

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
Congrats to GR Matthews from the looks of things, I enjoyed the kindle sample and look forwards to reading the whole thing.

It can be forum people too!

I'm struggling to phrase this the right way, which is possibly a sign I'm being unreasonable, but -

Given this is a book club for authors who are members of this community, it seems reasonable to me to show a preference to authors who turn up and give an opinion on this ahead of authors who don't. If I had voted - I didn't because I didn't expect the poll to end so soon - I'd have voted for Matthews and tebakutis simply because they're here and the others weren't.

Therefore, while I do value your opinion and the opinions of other posters, it's not what I'm basing my vote on unless the author shows up. Heck, I'm not even basing it on my own opinion unless they show (I've read bits by 4 of the authors on that list).

Maybe I'm misreading the purpose of this book club and am being wrongheaded, or maybe it's just a sign of how new I am and that I don't know everyone here well yet, and maybe I'm the only one to who it matters.

But I thought I should at least throw this thought out before the next vote, either for people to argue me into not looking at things in that light, or to make the case that we should at least encourage the authors to pop in for the next vote and make a case for someone's book (even if it's not their own). Or maybe both.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
Eli used to be around a lot more, before your arrival @Peat. Selby is more sober in his contributions but I've seen him around more than others. Some might have been more present earlier and are busier now (I think that's Jen's case)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »
Oh Hell! You chose my book!.... well, that's... Eeeeek!

Great... smashing... super... great!

<Cowers in fear, convinced they'll all hate it!> :)

I said, at the start, I'd give away Kindle or Epub versions and I meant it!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
Ah ok – for what it's worth, I am lurking on the forum most days, but as Nora rightly points out, I don't have much time to post on forums at the moment (while I'm writing this I'm supposed to be editing my newest book... *cough*) and if I'm totally honest, I don't feel it's appropriate for me to come in here banging on about how you should all read my book. FantasyFaction have been very kind in giving the Copper Cat trilogy a lot of coverage already, and there have been plenty of reviews on the main site that would be much better at convincing you to read them than anything I could say.

So anyway, I didn't want you to think that my silence on this was disinterest - it's simply a lack of time and a slight concern that sometimes people don't actually want authors sticking their oar in. Of course, if the Copper Cat books ever do come up on the book club, you know I'm always happy to answer questions and what not.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Hi, everyone.

Congrats to @G_R_Matthews!
His will be our first read: Let's start on June 1.
I'll get organized around this shortly.
Thanks, GR for be our test subject!

On the subject of preference for those who engage regularly, I agree with this, but, um, only to a point. Foremost, we want to read books that someone we trust has already said are top quality. Now, this is a REALLY sensitive subject, I know. And I knew it when I started down this path. I respect all the views on this that have been posted here.

As examples only, I can personally say that I enjoyed the heck out of Eli's first novel. ScarletBea (and others) vouch for GR's. Eric (Tebakutis) is very high on Tom Doyle's American Craftsmen series. Francis has told me before that she's up for helping out with the book club through giveaways, etc. And frequent readers of these pages may have noticed the thread I started and titled: "A Love Letter to Jen Williams/Sennydreadful".

The good news is that I suspect we won't run out of months before we run out of books! It's just a question of reading order.

And the really good news is we have a clear choice for book #1.

June: GR Matthews, The Stone Road.
Bring it on.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:18:35 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 03:18:15 PM »
Ah. I just popped in to ask if this book club thing would be starting up soon. I just hadn't noticed the poll sooner.

Anyway, congratulations @G_R_Matthews.

I'll try to be around more, I just haven't had a whole lot to say recently.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Tags: