May 24, 2017, 03:08:59 AM

Poll

Anyone care to join in on a Book Club reading for December? Here are 5 options. Vote for up to two.

Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane
4 (30.8%)
Terry Pratchett's Nation
6 (46.2%)
Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising
0 (0%)
Jo Walton's The Just City
2 (15.4%)
Patricia McKillip's The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: November 16, 2015, 11:55:31 AM

Author Topic: Book Club for December 2015  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Book Club for December 2015
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
I assumed one was for discussing the book as a whole, the other was for discussing the last 25% specifically.  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
I assumed one was for discussing the book as a whole, the other was for discussing the last 25% specifically.  :o
Most of the time plot lines resolve in the end of a book, mysteries get solved, etc. so you discuss the resolutions which are from the whole book. It's seldom that something new comes in in the last part that doesn't have ties to the first 75%. So discussing only stuff from the last 25% isn't exactly possible.

It's more like this:
week 1: discussing 25%
week 2: discussing 50%
week 3: discussing 75%
week 3: discussing 100% of the book.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 09:46:36 PM »
I think it will go something like this, taking "Nation" as the example.
I'll open up the first 5 threads at the same time.

> Chapters 1-4: Part I Discussion
> Chapters 5-8: Part II Discussion
> Chapters 9-12: Part III Discussion
> Full Book Discussion
> Your Take
> Weekly Surprise Threads

My goal is to include the weekly cadence, but accomodate people who read faster or read the book some time ago.

Does anyone think that a mid-month Chat event might be fun? (Skype or the thing Raptori knows how to do)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 10:01:17 PM »
(Skype or the thing Raptori knows how to do)

What's that then? Cosplaying the MC?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:02:59 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:04:33 PM »
Most of the time plot lines resolve in the end of a book, mysteries get solved, etc. so you discuss the resolutions which are from the whole book. It's seldom that something new comes in in the last part that doesn't have ties to the first 75%. So discussing only stuff from the last 25% isn't exactly possible.

It's more like this:
week 1: discussing 25%
week 2: discussing 50%
week 3: discussing 75%
week 3: discussing 100% of the book.
Yeah I get that, but while that way makes a lot more sense I do think the other way could have worked as well.  :P

Free IRC which people can access via web browser (translation: free chatroom where you just click a link in your web browser to join, type in your username, and are then able to chat with everyone). Showed it to a couple of others here a while back, think we were considering using it for the writing group. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »

:o
 ;D

Free IRC which people can access via web browser (translation: free chatroom where you just click a link in your web browser to join, type in your username, and are then able to chat with everyone). Showed it to a couple of others here a while back, think we were considering using it for the writing group. :)
Or did he mean Google Hangouts?  :-\

Anyhow, I might be able to get my hands on an English version of Nation, but I'm not sure it's a book I would like to read. I mean it seems like a children's book. Is it?  ???
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:47 AM »
Yea Nation is a children's book, but I'm sure like all the best one's it's perfect for adults too. Here is a review of it by Pat Rothfuss on Goodreads:

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Which is fair enough. :)

Online Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
Hiya @ArcaneArtsVelho,

I hope you'll join in. Yes, I think it's got a YA tone, but as has been said, many have found it brilliant. I couldn't say, of course. Haven't read it yet.

And that thing Raptori can do (aside from many others I know about and many I'm sure I don't want to know about) is the IIRC thing. But I can do any of the three modes: Skype, IIRC or Google Hangout.

Meanwhile, I've just been promised some published author swag for the book club, which will be doled out to participants based on a complicated algorithm yet to be developed. Who would want to miss that?! 
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
Yea Nation is a children's book, but I'm sure like all the best one's it's perfect for adults too.
Yes, I think it's got a YA tone, but as has been said, many have found it brilliant. I couldn't say, of course. Haven't read it yet.
Thanks.
I suppose I might as well give it a try IF I manage to get a copy. (Notice the big 'if'.)  :)

And that thing Raptori can do (aside from many others I know about and many I'm sure I don't want to know about) is the IIRC thing.
Ah, okay. Raptori can do so many things... http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3236.gif

Meanwhile, I've just been promised some published author swag for the book club, which will be doled out to participants based on a complicated algorithm yet to be developed. Who would want to miss that?! 
I've never been one for swag. Sorry.  :(
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Online Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
Yea Nation is a children's book, but I'm sure like all the best one's it's perfect for adults too.
Yes, I think it's got a YA tone, but as has been said, many have found it brilliant. I couldn't say, of course. Haven't read it yet.
Thanks.
I suppose I might as well give it a try IF I manage to get a copy. (Notice the big 'if'.)  :)

And that thing Raptori can do (aside from many others I know about and many I'm sure I don't want to know about) is the IIRC thing.
Ah, okay. Raptori can do so many things... http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3236.gif

Even if "swag" = "free book"?  ;D

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
Even if "swag" = "free book"?  ;D
Yes, even then.
I know, I know. I'm weird.  8)

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »
Who doesn't like swag/free book?  ??? You crazy bean man.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
Hiya @ArcaneArtsVelho,

I hope you'll join in. Yes, I think it's got a YA tone, but as has been said, many have found it brilliant. I couldn't say, of course. Haven't read it yet.

And that thing Raptori can do (aside from many others I know about and many I'm sure I don't want to know about) is the IIRC thing. But I can do any of the three modes: Skype, IIRC or Google Hangout.

I propose that the swag algorithm be: "swag is awarded to the users with the most dinosaur-like usernames".

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »
I propose that the swag algorithm be: "swag is awarded to the users with the most dinosaur-like usernames avatars".
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »
I propose that the swag algorithm be: "swag is awarded to the users with the most dinosaur-like usernames avatars personality".
Plus if the free swag is based on the level of swag how more swag can you be than an unsummonable, a Mr and have  dot in your name?

Tags: