Poll

What should we read in June?

The Magicians by Lev Grossman
6 (75%)
Zoo City by Lauren Beukes
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: April 15, 2015, 10:14:14 PM

Author Topic: [MAY 2015] Kitschies Month - VOTING is now open!  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
[MAY 2015] Kitschies Month - VOTING is now open!
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
EDIT 2: This is now our MAY book.

EDIT: I am moving this to June May to do a Pratchett month in May. We can still do nominations/voting now. It might be nice to have a little extra time incase a book is selected that might need to be imported (books I order from the UK typically take several weeks to get here, it could be longer for some people).

for those of you not familiar with The Kitschies, Here's a quick description (copied fro their website )
The Kitschies reward the year’s most progressive, intelligent and entertaining works that contain elements of the speculative or fantastic.

There are some amazing books out there, many of which don't get enough attention. The Kitschies are a great way to discover some of them as it is one award that clearly does not focus on the main stream/popular choices you see with many other awards. Every award has its focus/purpose, but I think it's great that there is one set of awards out there you can count on to highlight some fascinating books you may not have heard of.

So, eligible for nomination are any shortlist books for the Tentacle awards from any year. I am excluding the Inky Tentacles just because I want to focus on the content of the books, not the incredible covers. (If  you could include what they were shortlisted for, that would be great). You can find the short lists and some nice descriptions on their website.

http://www.thekitschies.com/

(and thanks to @Gariath for the fantastic theme suggestion)

I also want to point out there are likely books without US/global releases in this. I will do my best to point these out. I highly encourage everyone to check their local availability before nominating/voting. I am not going to enforce the standard requirements this time.

Seconded Nominations:
  • Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
  • The Magicians by Lev Grossman
  • The Folly of the World by Jesse Bullington
  • A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge
  • Osama by Lavie Tidhar
  • Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor
  • A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
  • Zoo City by Lauren Beukes
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:22:46 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: [MAY 2015] Kitschies Month - Nominations are open!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »
Grasshopper Jungle since I already have it on my bedside table.  ;D... And it's awesome so far. Very much YA in tone, but with extremely realistic POV and discussion of sex and sexuality.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
MORE THAN THIS - Red Tentacle Finalist 2013
Patrick Ness
Walker
A boy called Seth drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments, losing his life as the pounding sea claims him. But then he wakes. He is naked, thirsty, starving. But alive. How is that possible? He remembers dying, his bones breaking, his skull dashed upon the rocks. So how is he is here? And where is this place? It looks like the suburban English town where he lived as a child, before an unthinkable tragedy happened and his family moved to America. But the neighbourhood around his old house is overgrown, covered in dust and completely abandoned.

What’s going on? And why is it that whenever he closes his eyes, he falls prey to vivid, agonizing memories that seem more real than the world around him? Seth begins a search for answers, hoping that he might not be alone, that this might not be the hell he fears it to be, that there might be more than just this.

THE SAMARITAN (This was released last year as The Heart Does Not Grow Back) - Golden Tentacle Finalist 2011
Fred Venturini
Blank Slate Press
“Dale Sampson is a nobody. A small town geek who lives in the shadow of his best friend, the high school baseball star, it takes him years to even gather the courage to actually talk to a girl. It doesn’t go well. Then, just when he thinks there’s a glimmer of hope for his love life, he loses everything.When Dale runs into the twin sister of the girl he loved and lost, he finds his calling – he will become a samaritan.”

A TALE FOR THE TIME BEING - Red Tentacle Winner 2013
Ruth Ozeki
Canongate

Ruth discovers a Hello Kitty lunchbox washed up on the shore of her beach home. Within it lies a diary that expresses the hopes and dreams of a young girl. She suspects it might have arrived on a drift of debris from the 2011 tsunami. With every turn of the page, she is sucked deeper into an enchanting mystery.

In a small cafe in Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao Yasutani is navigating the challenges thrown up by modern life. In the face of cyberbullying, the mysteries of a 104-year-old Buddhist nun and great-grandmother, and the joy and heartbreak of family, Nao is trying to find her own place – and voice – through a diary she hopes will find a reader and friend who finally understands her.

Weaving across continents and decades, and exploring the relationship between reader and writer, fact and fiction, A Tale for the Time Being is an extraordinary novel about our shared humanity and the search for home.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »
I want to second Grasshopper Jungle.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Interesting to note that Long Way to a Small Angry Planet was  Kitschie nominee.
I second the vote to move Kitschies to the next month and do Pratchett earlier.
If we end up reading Grashopper Jungle it has (so far) more of a SF feel. I'm assuming Angry Planet does too. If we read Pratchett in between, then we do a Fantasy novel plus an homage to Sir Terry, then return to SF.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: [JUN 2015] Kitschies Month - Nominations are open!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
I second the vote to move Kitschies to the next month and do Pratchett earlier.

Done. :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »
Browsing the past awards, it's cool to see how many we already read with the book club. :) Seraphina, Ancilliary Justice, Angelmaker, Among Thieves, Night Circus, The Folding Knife, ... :)

Seconding Grashopper Jungle.

Nominating:

THE FOLLY OF THE WORLD

Jesse Bullington

“The Saint Elizabeth Flood of 1421 destroyed towns and villages overnight, the land between the warring cities of Geertruidenberg and Dordrecht becoming a desolate inland sea. Yet even disaster can be profitable for the right sort of individual, and into this flooded realm sail three conspirators: a deranged thug at the edge of madness, a ruthless con man on the cusp of fortune and a half-feral girl who can swim like a fish.”

A FACE LIKE GLASS
Frances Hardinge

“In the underground city of Caverna the world’s most skilled craftsmen toil in the darkness to create delicacies beyond compare – wines that can remove memories, cheeses that can make you hallucinate and perfumes that convince you to trust the wearer, even as they slit your throat. The people of Caverna are more ordinary, but for one thing: their faces are as blank as untouched snow. Expressions must be learned, and only the famous Facesmiths can teach a person to show (or fake) joy, despair or fear – at a price.”

THE MAGICIANS
Lev Grossman

“Mr. Grossman’s well-orchestrated mixture of Donna Tartt’s The Secret History and C.S. Lewis’ Narnia is a fascinating and unusual read. This year’s Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, The Magicians is carefully-crafted and excellently well-written – a breakout hit that appealed genre and non-genre fans alike. It is an unusual, mature look at magic and its practitioners.”

THE ENTERPRISE OF DEATH
Jesse Bullington

“As the witch-pyres of the Spanish Inquisition blanket Renaissance Europe in a moral haze, a young African slave finds herself the unwilling apprentice of an ancient necromancer. Unfortunately, quitting his company proves even more hazardous than remaining his pupil when she is afflicted with a terrible curse. Yet salvation may lie in a mysterious tome her tutor has hidden somewhere on the war-torn continent.”

APOCALYPSE NOW NOW
Charlie Human

Plunged into the increasingly bizarre landscape of Cape Town’s supernatural underworld, Baxter Zevcenko, 16-year-old crime kingpin, and Jackson “Jackie” Ronin, supernatural bounty hunter, team up to save Baxter’s girlfriend, Esme.

On a journey that takes them through the realms of impossibility, they must face every conceivable nightmare to get her back, including the odd brush with the Apocalypse.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
Seconding Magicians and Apocalypse Now Now.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
Xiagan, I think Apocalypse Now Now was an Inky Tentacle nominee...

I'd like to nominate:

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Springtime in Styria. And that means war.

There have been nineteen years of blood. The ruthless Grand Duke Orso is locked in a vicious struggle with the squabbling League of Eight, and between them they have bled the land white. While armies march, heads roll and cities burn, behind the scenes bankers, priests and older, darker powers play a deadly game to choose who will be king.

War may be hell but for Monza Murcatto, the Snake of Talins, the most feared and famous mercenary in Duke Orso's employ, it's a damn good way of making money too. Her victories have made her popular - a shade too popular for her employer's taste. Betrayed, thrown down a mountain and left for dead, Murcatto's reward is a broken body and a burning hunger for vengeance. Whatever the cost, seven men must die.

Her allies include Styria's least reliable drunkard, Styria's most treacherous poisoner, a mass-murderer obsessed with numbers and a Northman who just wants to do the right thing. Her enemies number the better half of the nation. And that's all before the most dangerous man in the world is dispatched to hunt her down and finish the job Duke Orso started...

Springtime in Styria. And that means revenge.

Osama by Lavie Tidhar

In an alternate world without global terrorism Joe, a private detective, is hired by a mysterious woman to find a man: the obscure author of pulp fiction novels featuring one Osama Bin Laden: Vigilante... Joe's quest to find the man takes him across the world, from the backwaters of Asia to the European Capitals of Paris and London, and as the mystery deepens around him there is one question he is trying hard not to ask: who is he, really, and how much of the books are fiction? Chased by unknown assailants, Joe s identity slowly fragments as he discovers the shadowy world of the refugees, ghostly entities haunting the world in which he lives. Where do they come from? And what do they want? Joe knows how the story should end, but even he is not ready for the truths he ll find in New York and, finally, on top a quiet hill above Kabul nor for the choice he will at last have to make....

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

Three strangers, each isolated by his or her own problems: Adaora, the marine biologist. Anthony, the rapper famous throughout Africa. Agu, the troubled soldier. Wandering Bar Beach in Lagos, Nigeria's legendary mega-city, they're more alone than they've ever been before.

But when something like a meteorite plunges into the ocean and a tidal wave overcomes them, these three people will find themselves bound together in ways they could never imagine. Together with Ayodele, a visitor from beyond the stars, they must race through Lagos and against time itself in order to save the city, the world... and themselves.

Looking through all the potential books it's actually incredible how many the book club have already done in the past!
Make Another World.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
Oh also, I'll second The Folly of the World, A Face Like Glass and third The Magicians.
Make Another World.

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »
I'll second Lagoon and Osama. (Not really a weak choice here.)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »

Hm, really? Well, the cover IS good. :)
We have enough cool nominations and it isn't available in the US anyway (I think), so it's not too tragic...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »

Hm, really? Well, the cover IS good. :)
We have enough cool nominations and it isn't available in the US anyway (I think), so it's not too tragic...

It releases in the US April 14th, so it will be. But they are correct, it is an Inky Tentacle nominee. If people want to include it anyway, let me know. I thought to focus on the books content, but will go with whatever people want to do.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:30:40 PM by Arry »
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
Can I second A Tale For the Time Being:)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »
Can I second A Tale For the Time Being:)

Yes, please!! That one sounded really good to me! :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Tags: