Poll

What should we read in August?

The Horns of Ruin by Tim Akers
2 (50%)
A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: July 18, 2015, 06:43:41 PM

Author Topic: [AUG 2015] - Epic Fantasies! - VOTING is now open!  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
[AUG 2015] - Epic Fantasies! - VOTING is now open!
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
Alright, nomination time! Well, I think past time, I'm running late, so I'm hoping to run this fast.

Epic fantasies tend to be popular around here, and leaves quite a wide range of options. So, get to it, nominate some Epics that are sitting on your TBR!

Seconded Nominations:

• The Horns of Ruin by Tim Akers
  • The Scar by China Mieville
  • A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall
  • The Grim Company by Luke Scull
  • The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon
  • Devices and Desires by KJ Parker
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:06:41 AM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: [AUG 2015] - Epic Fantasies! - Nominations are now open!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »
I am going to nominate A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall

An outstanding, game-changing epic fantasy debut featuring an unforgettable female warrior.

FIVE VILLAINS. ONE LEGENDARY GENERAL. A FINAL QUEST FOR VENGEANCE.

Twenty years ago, feared general Cobalt Zosia led her five villainous captains and mercenary army into battle, wrestling monsters and toppling an empire. When there were no more titles to win and no more worlds to conquer, she retired and gave up her legend to history.

Now the peace she carved for herself has been shattered by the unprovoked slaughter of her village. Seeking bloody vengeance, Zosia heads for battle once more, but to find justice she must confront grudge-bearing enemies, once-loyal allies, and an unknown army that marches under a familiar banner.

A CROWN FOR COLD SILVER is an outstanding epic fantasy debut featuring an unforgettable warrior.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
I'm afraid to nominate something and then it's not Epic Fantasy but another sub genre. :( I suck at classifying fantasy books and at identifying genres.  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
I'm afraid to nominate something and then it's not Epic Fantasy but another sub genre. :( I suck at classifying fantasy books and at identifying genres.  ;D

I'm not going to 'police' the nominations. I find it incredibly stressful, and usually end up feeling like I made the wrong choice. Ultimately no one is happy in the end when I have attempted that (with only the best intentions). Genres can be ambiguous and I don't always expect everyone to agree. Many books fall firmly into multiple genres as well.

So, what I'll do is just ask people to only second a nomination if they feel it fits. That way to get on a poll, at least two people will have to think it is epic, which is good enough for me. Any complaints can be handled with how members vote (don't think it fit the theme and still made the poll? Well, don't vote for it).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:23:53 PM by Arry »
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Godling
  • The mind loves to race at night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
I think I'm gonna nominate two books, at least for now; one I've read and one in my TBR pile.

The Horns of Ruin by Tim Akers

Eva Forge is the last paladin of a dead god. Morgan, god of battle and champion of the Fraterdom, was assassinated by his jealous brother, Amon. Over time, the Cult of Morgan has been surpassed by other gods, his blessings ignored in favor of brighter technologies and more mechanical miracles. Eva was the last child dedicated to the Cult of Morgan, forsaken by her parents and forgotten by her family. Now she watches as her new family, her Cult, crumbles all around her.

When a series of kidnappings and murders makes it clear that someone is trying to hasten the death of the Cult of Morgan, Eva must seek out unexpected allies and unwelcome answers in the city of Ash. But will she be able to save the city from a growing conspiracy, one that reaches back to her childhood, even back to the murder of her god?

Thunderer by Felix Gilman

In this breathtaking debut novel by Felix Gilman, one man embarks on a thrilling and treacherous quest for his people’s lost god—in an elaborate Dickensian city that is either blessed …or haunted.

Arjun arrives in Ararat just as a magnificent winged creature swoops and sails over the city. For it is the day of the return of that long-awaited, unpredictable mystical creature: the great Bird. But does it come for good or ill? And in the service of what god? Whatever its purpose, for one inhabitant the Bird sparks a long-dormant idea: to map the mapless city and liberate its masses with the power of knowledge.

As the creature soars across the land, shifting topography, changing the course of the river, and redrawing the territories of the city’s avian life, crowds cheer and guns salute in a mix of science and worship. Then comes the time for the Bird’s power to be trapped—within the hull of a floating warship called Thunderer, an astounding and unprecedented weapon. The ship is now a living temple to the Bird, a gift to be used, allegedly, in the interests of all of Ararat.

Hurtled into this convulsing world is Arjun, an innocent who will unwittingly unleash a dark power beyond his imagining—and become entangled in a dangerous underground movement that will forever transform Ararat. As havoc overtakes the streets, Arjun dares to test the city’s moving boundaries. In this city of gods, he has come to search among them, not to hide.

A tour de force of the imagination, and a brilliant tale of rebellion, Thunderer heralds the arrival of a truly gifted fantasy writer who has created a tale as rich, wondrous, and captivating as the world in which it is set.

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
I second the Horns of Ruin and nominate Heros Die by Matthew Woodring Stover
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
Is Smiler' s Fair available in the US of A yet?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
Is Smiler' s Fair available in the US of A yet?

No. We miss out on loads of fun books evidently.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »
I second A Crown Of Cold Silver and I am going to nominate The Grim Company by Luke Scull. Having recently finished and enjoyed The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie, this looks like it may be a similar set of books.

The Gods are dead. The Magelord Salazar and his magically enhanced troops, the Augmentors, crush any dissent they find in the minds of the populace. On the other side of the Broken Sea, the White Lady plots the liberation of Dorminia, with her spymistresses, the Pale Women. Demons and abominations plague the Highlands.

The world is desperately in need of heroes. But what they get instead are a ragtag band of old warriors, a crippled Halfmage, two orphans and an oddly capable manservant: the Grim Company.

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »
Devices and Desires by KJ Parker
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
The Scar by China Mieville

All currently on my wishlist to read and would count as epic.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular What is 2 5 1's 10th? (9)
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »
Seconding The Scar.

Nominating When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner. (Because it didn't win last month.)

If you pick a Fight with Shroud, Lord of the Dead, you had better ensure your victory, else death will mark only the beginning of your suffering. A book giving its wielder power over the dead has been stolen from a fellowship of mages that has kept the powerful relic dormant for centuries. The thief, a crafty, power-hungry necromancer, intends to use the Book of Lost Souls to resurrect an ancient race and challenge Shroud for dominion of the underworld. Shroud counters by sending his most formidable servants to seize the artefact at all cost. However, the god is not the only one interested in the Book, and a host of other forces converge, drawn by the powerful magic that has been unleashed. The first in an epic new swords and sorcery fantasy series, Marc Turner's When the Heavens Fall features gritty characters, deadly magic, and meddlesome gods.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 01:19:14 AM »
I'll second The Grim Company :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »
Any more nominations? Or current nominations you want to second? Do it now before it's too late :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 01:05:32 AM »
I nominate The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon, either the whole or the first book, Sheepfarmer's Daughter. An oldie but goodie.

Paksenarrion
Paksenarrion Dorthansdotter, headstrong daughter of a sheep farmer on the north edge of the kingdom, dreams of being a hero out of legend, of fame and magic swords and great deeds. When her father tells her she must marry the neighbor's son, she runs away from home to join the mercenary company her cousin told her about. But military life and warfare aren't anything like her daydreams...yet she holds to both her duty and her dreams. In the end, she pays the price that heroism demands and becomes the paladin who saves a kingdom...but the journey is longer and darker than she ever imagined. She has to confront and overcome her strengths as well as her weaknesses...and her triumph redeems more than herself.

Originally written as one long story, it was broken into three for practical reasons when first published. Sheepfarmer's Daughter takes her from the farm through three fighting seasons as a mercenary in Duke Phelan's Company. Divided Allegiance describes her departure from Phelan and her training to become a paladin of Gird....a journey that ends in disaster. Oath of Gold finishes her story of recovery and redemption.

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »
I second the Deed of Paksennarion
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker