November 13, 2019, 08:15:56 AM

Poll

Which Pratchett book should we read in May?

Mort
6 (46.2%)
Wee Free Men
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: March 28, 2015, 11:08:51 PM

Author Topic: [APR 2015] - Terry Pratchett Memorial Read - VOTING is closed!  (Read 15024 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
I thought it might be nice to offer up an organized read of one of Terry Pratchett's books. He obviously had a huge impact on the genre and will be greatly missed. This could be a nice way for fans to come together and enjoy revisiting a favorite, and an opportunity to introduce some new readers to his works.

We can either do this alongside a book club read, or I can dedicate a month to it (maybe slide the Kitschie's month to June to give people more time incase they need to order/import the book selected for it).

So, who is interested? And any preference for timing?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:27:40 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Pratchett Memorial Read
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
I've started rereading Small Gods, but am definitely down with a read of any other discworld.

Would we vote on which book we read?
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
I've started rereading Small Gods, but am definitely down with a read of any other discworld.

Would we vote on which book we read?

I was thinking we could do nominations/voting just like book club. Maybe people could include a bit why they think their choice would be a great memorial read or why they selected the book they did. I also wanted to see if people might be interested in doing this alongside a book club, so it could be held much quicker (April?). If not, I can slide The Kitschies month to June and hold this in May.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:36:39 PM »
I read Wee Free Men but it is rather hazy and don't think I read any more of his Tiffany Aching novels (and suspect the book that was finished in Summer 2014 is the 5th Tiffany Aching book) so I nominate the Wee Free Men and will carry on with the rest of the cycle afterwards leading to the release of the possible 5th if anyone wants to join me?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
Other good suggestions would be Mort, Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids, Small Gods, Men at Arms, Going Postal or Nation.

And suggest we do Pterry month in May and Kitschies in June. But just my humble opinion.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 03:59:04 PM »
And suggest we do Pterry month in May and Kitschies in June. But just my humble opinion.

Done. :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: [MAY 2015] - Terry Pratchett Memorial Read
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
Just an update that this will be our official book club read for May.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Terry Pratchett Memorial Read
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
Reaper Man would be fitting too.

'Death has to happen. That's what bein' alive is all about. You're alive, and then you're dead. It can't just stop happening.'

But it can. And it has. So what happens after death is now less of a philosophical question than a question of actual reality. On the disc, as here, they need Death. If Death doesn't come for you, then what are you supposed to do in the meantime? You can't have the undead wandering about like lost souls. There's no telling what might happen, particularly when they discover that life really is only for the living... (goodreads)

Seconding Nation. It's not a discworld novel but it impressed me enough to write Pterry a snail mail letter to his home address.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:00:57 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Re: [MAY 2015] - Terry Pratchett Memorial Read - Nominations are open
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »
I would love to take part in this  :)

As for which book, I still have a lot to read from him, so I'm up for anything. From the ones I've read, though, Mort is my favorite, and I feel as if it would be appropriate, given the circumstances.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:01:15 AM »
I'm up for pretty much anything by him.  I'm currently reading my way through the Tiffany Aching books, but will re-read one of them if it's picked.

Other than that, Mort is a good pick, so I'll second that nomination.

Or Nation, as a non-Discworld book. 

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
So you don't have to read the Discworld novels in chronological order to understand what's going on? That would be my only concern. I'm very interested in joining, but I'm skeptical about diving into the middle.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »
So you don't have to read the Discworld novels in chronological order to understand what's going on? That would be my only concern. I'm very interested in joining, but I'm skeptical about diving into the middle.
My first TP book was Going Postal which was not chronological. And what a blast. From what I can tell the novels are pretty self-contained. But I do think that those in the know should guide us to one that is strong in that way.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
This is a lovely idea for the book club.  :) I'd be happy with any of his books, and people have already recommended some great ones! I'd second any of those. I haven't read Nation yet, so would also be really interested in that one too. In terms of places to start if you're new to the Discworld, I actually wrote an article about that for Fantasy Faction once. I'll link it just in case it's helpful to anyone. There's a link in the comments section to a flow chart as well.

http://fantasy-faction.com/2013/discovering-discworld

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
Great idea, obviously I'll be in for this (plus The Kitschies month - kudos on that one too!).

Guards! Guards! is a great one to start with but I think we did it before?

Any of the following would work:

The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic (would suggest both together as it's one story)
Equal Rites
Mort
Wyrd Sisters
Small Gods
The Truth
The Wee Free Men
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal

Mort is probably the ultimate entry book to the Discworld. But the others are all brilliant.

My first TP book was Going Postal which was not chronological. And what a blast. From what I can tell the novels are pretty self-contained. But I do think that those in the know should guide us to one that is strong in that way.

Even though it's a really late entry it's one of the best, imo, and actually a really good starting point. New main character, kinda it's own little trilogy, really gives a good overview of Ankh Morpork and has one of his best plots.

Xiagan - Reaper Man is hilarious, one of his funniest but having reread it last year I'd say you need a bit of grounding in the books up until that point to really get a lot of it.

And I'd be equally as happy to read Nation as amazingly I've never read it! I actually have a few of his newer novels still to read and now I'm glad of that as I've still got new pTerry to experience.  :)
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
Xiagan - Reaper Man is hilarious, one of his funniest but having reread it last year I'd say you need a bit of grounding in the books up until that point to really get a lot of it.

And I'd be equally as happy to read Nation as amazingly I've never read it! I actually have a few of his newer novels still to read and now I'm glad of that as I've still got new pTerry to experience.  :)
Hm, haven't read it in ages so I don't remember if you need some grounding. If that's the case we should read Mort AND Reaper Man. ;) According to the discworld reading guide (big image: http://i.imgur.com/qHa8Zf5.jpg) that should do it.
Or Going Postal, or Nation, or, or, or...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)